Ratio for Magazine Covers

I just use the out of camera format (or close to it if I crop for other reasons) usually 3:2,sometimes 4:3, but leave space around the main subject so that the designer has room to crop to their needs (masthead/title, strap lines etc). Trying to get too precise is a fool's errand as we don't iknow how the designer will see the layout.

Anyway these days magazines vary so much; from landscape, square and standard letter or A4/B4 format.

Thanks for replies - confirms why i was confused.  I measured a few mags and as you say they can be various sizes.  Most of my portrait images are 3:2 ratio so I'll leave be.

I keep forgetting to take a portrait version when taking images - must get into the habit!

John

Thanks for replies - confirms why i was confused.  I measured a few mags and as you say they can be various sizes.  Most of my portrait images are 3:2 ratio so I'll leave be.

I keep forgetting to take a portrait version when taking images - must get into the habit!

John

I used to actively shoot portrait format (about 30-40%) with magazine covers and the like in mind but much less so these days, magazine covers are a much smaller proprtion of sales. For web use landscape format seems to be generally preferred, and I appreciate why from my own web site work. I think David Kilpatrick explained it in some depth in a thread a good while ago.

Archived