Affinity Photo is a New Pro Photoshop Alternative for Mac Users: Get It for Free

It doesn't cover the XT-1, yet, but since it is in Beta, they say more cameras will be added.  They do have a lot of the older Fuji cameras listed, also I think I saw the X-Pro, but I wish they'd start with the newer ones first and work back, instead of the other way around. Maybe they did, and that was done before the XT-1 came out.

I think I'll join anyway, and hopefully it won't be too long before my camera is added.  I did read some posts on the forum, and people are reporting conversations on other forums (like Adobe) are calling this as important as the invention of sliced bread. ;)

Just downloaded and had a quick play around with it. Seems to be pretty good. As to whether it is a viable alternative to PS remains to be seen, it would be nice to think so. I don't see myself moving away from my old CS5 anytime soon though. Well worth closer scrutiny I think.

Watch this space I guess!

Many thanks for posting, Linda, very interesting, & it's good to see another non-adobe alternative!

I've played around with it over the past couple of evenings, but for me, as a LR user, I've go a bit of a learning curve & will need to look at any tutorials that are released.

I will certainly persist though.

ann 

I use Lightroom for captioning and only use Photoshop on occasion. I will try this tonight and fill in the fields in Lightroom and then just have lightroom open the image in Affinity.

L

I've definitely put that into the "watch this space" section. I'm very wary of the Adobe and Microsoft leaning towards subscription models. In fact anybody who says, "just give us your bank details, you can trust us". I'm nowhere near the edge, but if the cash flow thing ever became an issue, all those monthly or periodic direct debits (some variable even!) might make it very hard to steer a steady course.

My son who varies from broke to seriously broke suffers horrendous penalty charges  from banks, mobile phone providers  and utility services. I feel a rant coming on.......

Anyway, a new player with modest charges would be well worth consideration, though my old brain recoils at having to learn another set of tricks. After about ten years, I'm just about getting up to speed with Photoshop. At that price, a second licence for another machine wouldn't be much of an issue.

Archived