What is cleared balance?

Could somebody be so kind as to explain this whole matter to me? I am new (kind of...being with Alamy for 6 months). So far I have had 4 sales. I just don't understand: 4 sales for $73. However, the cleared balance is $9 (just noticed this today, I don't think I missed it before). Is my take only $9 out of $73 (I don't like that!), or I will still get these $73 (eventually, when they become $75)? What do $9 represent, exactly?

I am not that stupid (hopefully), it is just  that English is not my native language and sometimes I don't understand certain things... :)

Thank you!

Natalia.

After a sale is reported it takes at least another 45 days  to clear. This is because Alamy has to wait for payment. It can take longer for a distributor sale or if the customer is just a slow payer. I have an uncleared sale to India from August.

Natalia

Cleared Balance is what the client has paid Alamy.

I you go to Net Revenue you can change the reporting from Date of Invoice to Date Cleared to Date Paid. All the details are there for every sale.

wim

edit: sorry not quite: Cleared Balance is what your take is out of that amount paid by the client.

If you are looking at your Account Balance and it says $9 for your cleared balance it means that the sales have cleared (Alamy has received the money from the buyer). The number above that is the total of YOUR money from the sales -- so, yes, when that exceeds $75 and clears you will be paid. I also think you have terrific images.

Paulette

Let me copy here an exchange of emails I had with Alamy about Cleared Balances only a week ago:

My question:  I wonder if you can explain the following issue.   When I checked my account balance on January 1 the statement said "$541 cleared balance" with next pay date scheduled as January 2.  When I got Alamy's email today telling me of the next deposit in my account it tells me that I will receive $415.78.  Could you explain why I'm not receiving the "cleared balance" of $541?

Answer from Alamy:  A payment’s made when an invoice gets paid by the customer or after 45 days, whichever is later.   The sale of your images ... on 18 November 2014 wasn’t included in this payrun as the 45 days time frame for security and fraud checks hadn’t passed.

Your cleared balance without these sales was $415.78.

We calculate cleared balance up to the last working day of the month for paying contributors, keeping the above criteria in place.

Hope this clears it up for you. If you have any further questions, feel free to let me know.

My reply to their answer:  Thanks for the comment.  It seems to me that the terminology used by Alamy is a little confusing.  I understand about the 45 days delay and all that, so it seems that payments are not really "cleared" until that time has passed.  So including that amount in the total shown as "cleared balance" seems a bit contradictory, since apparently it isn't really cleared for payment.  It would seem to me that if amounts really aren't ready to be paid then they shouldn't be included in the "cleared balance" total shown on the financial statement.  Maybe Alamy should consider revising its practice, or its terminology, because of this.

Comment to the Forum:  Perhaps if a few more people would question Alamy about their terminology things might get a bit clearer.  The staff person who replied to me said they would forward my comments to management.

Natalia, one way I look at my sales to understand what I am supposed to get is to go to View your Account Balance. Then I go to the right and where they show the statement period I use the dropdown menu to get 1 year. Then when I look at the sales I look at Alamy's commission for each sale. That will also be my commission -- 50% for sales directly from Alamy and 30% for distributor sales. I wish there was a column that showed my commission but there isn't.

Paulette

Current Cleared Balance = your share (what Alamy will pay you) of already paid invoices (by clients to Alamy). That share can be 50% when it was a direct sale or 30% if it was sold via a distributor (partner agency).

Sales = total of sums which Alamy EXPECTS from its clients (for your sold reproduction rights). This includes paid and not-yet-paid invoices.

It can take up to 3 months before sales are cleared. After 3 months, we normally contact members service for clarification.

You noticed: 4 sales for $73

That means you'll receive maximum $36.50 (if they were all direct sales). One of the four sales - the $9.00 - was probably a direct sale. The three other sales have yet to be paid by the client(s).

Nice pictures b.t.w. ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe, I must say that you write in English (not your mother tongue, I assume?) with great precession, clarity, and style. Bravo!  B)

Natalia,

I just glanced over the responses to your question, about sales and Cleared Balance.

I've also been in the agency business since 1978 and I will try to make it as clear

to you as I can.

Sales are "licenses" for the use of your images.  Cleared Balance is money in the

bank by Alamy, a percentage of which is paid to you.  I will tell you and all reading

this and this is not the first time I have written this,  Alamy is the only agency I've

worked with during the last three decades that I have never had to call or email

yelling "Where is My MONEY?"  They pay on time and it is done professionally

via ACH into my bank.

Chuck

Thanks everybody for your replies and kind words about my photos - frankly, I don't think they are that good (at least, I don't think that most of the time I spend taking them), except for yesterday when I found out that one of my photos was purchased for a magazine, cover and inside + digital use. I was ok to get $30 for this usage, but after having read your explanation I understood that I only get half of that amount! That's disappointing, taking into consideration the usage. Well... Anyway, your replies, guys, are very helpful, thanks again! 

Archived