Canon ribbon on 24-105L

Looks like my ribbon has broken , keep getting error messages on the camera

Apparently this lens is known for this problem

Anyone had the same and paid for a repair, if so how much?

I'm over in the uk soon and may consider a repair whilst there

Only other option is a new lens- my 24-105 is 8 years old- but I always thought L lenses would last a lifetime

Only other option is a new lens- my 24-105 is 8 years old- but I always thought L lenses would last a lifetime

Wishful thinking I fear, multi element zooms with image stabilisation are full of wearing parts, requiring periodic attention if heavily used. I once read a piece by someone from a lens hire company, specifically referring to 24-70 L problems, but he made it clear that this was not untypical for this kind of kit, whoever the maker.

How are you with a loupe and jeweller's screwdriver?

If you can get the part, that is. I've just replaced a ribbon cable on my phone for £2. Worth a thought.

Edit- it this it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Aperture-Flex-Cable-Ribbon-for-Canon-24-105-mm-/180709917963

I think that is the correct part- handy thought about DIY- tad nervous- but will investigate

Thanks

You'll need a good quality temperature controlled soldering iron too, or you'll melt the housing that the cable is connected to.

Buying a diaphragm assembly with cable attached, is a little more expensive but makes a DIY job, far easier.  

It's not an easy repair and if you don't do it right you can end up with more of a bill. I followed an instructional video on YouTube for repairing the cable in my 17-85 at the time and ended up with a £179 bill because I had taken off too many bits. Apparently more experienced repair agents can do it with less hassle and parts taken off. 

You also need to be a pretty skilled hand at soldering, as the flex cable sits on four very small pins that are on plastic with floating springs. Leave that solder iron on there too long and it's curtains for the joint the flex cable sits on. Far easier to just replace the whole aperture unit in one go. 

Fair enough, i've never owned a lens that was worth more than the price of a professional repair so I might think twice even with my miniature soldering iron.

My point of view when starting an electronic repair is that it's had it anyway, so if I fix it I'm ahead and if I don't I'm in the same position.

Archived