how to describe someone's ethnicity

Came to keyword an image of a girl on mobile phone in Edinburgh. She looks to me like on of the many tourists in the city from the far east....but , not to put too fine a point on it, I don't know if she is Chinese or one of a dozen different nationalities. What is the acceptable description ? 'Oriental' sounds a bit colonial to me and 'asian' a bit generic. She may be from Aberdeen of course which adds another question  - is it ' of .........  appearance' ? 

What would you include in your keywords ?

Geoff

What is the acceptable description ? 'Oriental' sounds a bit colonial to me and 'asian' a bit generic. She may be from Aberdeen of course which adds another question  - is it ' of .........  appearance' ? 

It's a logical question but I wouldn't do it, unless you have both a model release and a clear understanding with the model.

From the location I would assume she is a Scot. My wife is a third generation Canadian of Japanese heritage. She always self identifies as a "Canadian".

What is the acceptable description ? 'Oriental' sounds a bit colonial to me and 'asian' a bit generic. She may be from Aberdeen of course which adds another question  - is it ' of .........  appearance' ? 

It's a logical question but I wouldn't do it, unless you have both a model release and a clear understanding with the model.

From the location I would assume she is a Scot. My wife is a third generation Canadian of Japanese heritage. She always self identifies as a "Canadian".

I can't claim to be an expert but my understanding is that ethnicity and nationality are two different things.

Pearl

I'd leave it out of the caption but would want to have a relevant keyword. Many more Chinese travel now so it could be quite topical.

Perhaps we could offer an opinion of you'd care to share.

It's dangerous territory to be making assumptions about ethnicity or nationality and that being used as part of the wording for a file...caption or otherwise.

Extreme case but AGEfoto (the agency) also ended up in court IIRC (Alfonso mentioned it on Yammer). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/7890262/Greek-man-wins-175000-over-Turkish-yoghurt-picture.html

If you don't know for sure, keyword as vaguely as possible. Goes for any ethnicity . Or leave it alone! You just about never know when you are going to offend someones sensitivities, and the consequences of getting it wrong can be serious. You might get your face rearranged or your financial situation altered. It's just not worth it for a few extra views.

Oriental , asian, afro, afro-american, latino, are all cop-outs but might more often fit with actual searches by clients

You can get it wrong identifying animals or plants. They can neither read nor sue!

Setting aside (temporarily) the issue of whether you might offend someone, the best keywords to use are generally those that the customers use, and for that I turn to the list Alamy posted (linked to by SShep above).

Legally, I suppose you might run into trouble if the subject of the photo considers the label to be derogatory or libelous. My guess is that you're pretty safe identifying a woman who might be Chinese or Japanese as "Asian," and that will help customers looking for racial diversity (and who don't necessarily care what part of Asia the subject's ancestors came from, or whether she herself is an immigrant) to find your photos of her.

When I lived in Saigon I learned to tell the various ethnic peoples from one another. I can still do that today, but no one is a 100% accurate at a glance of a passing stranger. As I recall there were a half-million ethnic Chinese living in the sister city of Cholon during the war. (That number seems high?) There were a lot of Japanese reporters. There were over 30 tribal groups living in the Central Highlands, each with their own look and culture. The Hmong, found in Laos and along the Vietnamese border, were sometime called "Miao," which is an insult in Vietnamese. It's complicated. Then there are the Eurasians, those of mixed race. 

I would feel comfortable calling all and any of these people "Asian." I would use "Oriental" only when referring to rugs. 

Archived