OSX Yosimite

Adobe Bridge works, however, a pain as it doesn't recognise new images. 

Not clear what you mean here. Bridge CS6 is working as normal for me.

I meant as a general statement of how bridge works in comparison to EOS Utility. No idea why I didn't write that. EOS Utility knows what images on the card are new and old and only imports the new ones if you've set it to that. Bridge from what I can gather only ever wants to import the whole card. Not very helpful. More of a general annoyance to me due to EOS Utility not working on Yosemite. 

Aaaaaaaaaaaack! I installed Yosemite yesterday, and during final restart, my (2010) Mac won't go past half way on progress line. I've tried restarting several times - never had anything like this happen before. (Only 'good news' is photos are on external hard drives, and I'm not in middle of an assignment.)

from my iPad - Ann

Adobe Bridge works, however, a pain as it doesn't recognise new images. 

Not clear what you mean here. Bridge CS6 is working as normal for me.

I meant as a general statement of how bridge works in comparison to EOS Utility. No idea why I didn't write that. EOS Utility knows what images on the card are new and old and only imports the new ones if you've set it to that. Bridge from what I can gather only ever wants to import the whole card. Not very helpful. More of a general annoyance to me due to EOS Utility not working on Yosemite. 

OK. I tend to copy everything onto my hard drive first and then import into Lightroom which does recognise new files. Since moving to Lightroom a few years ago I only use Bridge as a file browser so, when I want to view stuff in Bridge, I select the folder and build the cache beforehand or otherwise it can be really slow.

Aaaaaaaaaaaack! I installed Yosemite yesterday, and during final restart, my (2010) Mac won't go past half way on progress line. I've tried restarting several times - never had anything like this happen before. (Only 'good news' is photos are on external hard drives, and I'm not in middle of an assignment.)

from my iPad - Ann

You may be able to go back using the recovery disk depending on what OS version you were using before. Details of what to do at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718. If you don't need anything on your hard drive, a clean install might be the best if you have a bootable MacOS install drive. 

It looks like you may have had to previously do a firmware update to do the internet recovery if using a 2010 Mac (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904). If you got an installer CD with the Mac which you should have done, then you may be able to reinstall the OS (presumably Snow Leopard). Again if you don't need anything on the drive, a clean install would be best - reformat the drive using Disk Utilities which should be on the installer disk.

from my iPad - Ann

Sorry to hear of your problem Ann. I can't help you as I'm still on Mavericks but thanks for the reminder.  I have images I am currently working with on the SSD on the desktop so when I eventually download Yosemite I will make sure the images are placed on a separate drive beforehand.

Allan

MDM - thank you SO much for response. It reminded me that I have relatively recent backup on my Mac router which includes Time Machine backups. I say "relatively recent" because for past few days it gave me message that it couldn't do backup - I assumed it was full.

Speaking of full, my upgrade might not be working because of little space left on internal drive, though I would have thought there would be an automatic message, if that were relevant, before downloading or installing update began.

Allan - thank you for your kind words.

Edited to Add: Used info in MDM's link - my MacPro is now restoring from Time Machine backup from a couple of days ago.

Will be metaphorically holding my breath for next 14 hours or so, especially over my Photoshop with countless plug-ins.

from my iPad - Ann

You may be able to go back using the recovery disk depending on what OS version you were using before. Details of what to do at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718. if you don't need anything on your hard drive, a clean install might be the best if you have a bootable MacOS install drive.

When I installed Mavericks it stayed stuck on "one minute left" for over an hour. So maybe all is not lost. Time could help. My Macbook Pro is mid 2009 and I think I will stop getting new upgrades.

Paulette

Paulette - interesting that stall happened to your 2008 Mac, and I'm very happy it then fully restarted.

During install, mine was stuck at "less than a minute" a long time, too, but then finished.

The final restart was the disaster for me - Mine was hung up midway at restart for about an hour, and then I restarted it again. For subsequent restarts, it hung up midway for hours, and then overnight

When I installed Mavericks it stayed stuck on "one minute left" for over an hour. So maybe all is not lost. Time could help. My Macbook Pro is mid 2009 and I think I will stop getting new upgrades.

Paulette

MDM - thank you so much for response. It reminded me that I have relatively recent backup on my Mac router which includes Time Machine backups. I say "relatively recent" because for past few days it gave me message that it couldn't do backup - I assumed it was full.

Speaking of full, my upgrade might not be working because of little space left on internal drive, though I would have thought there would be an automatic message, if that were relevant, before downloading or installing update began.

I better look into possibilities before I do anything major.... (better late than never?)

Allan - thank you for your kind words.

from my iPad - Ann

You may be able to go back using the recovery disk depending on what OS version you were using before. Details of what to do at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718. if you don't need anything on your hard drive, a clean install might be the best if you have a bootable MacOS install drive.

Good that you have recent backups anyway and your images on external drives. You shouldn't lose anything important. Best move might be to restore from one of your Time Machine backups if that is possible, check that you have all you need off the drive and then do a clean install if you have all the other software you need. Deactivating Photoshop is one of the things I do before I do a clean install so I don't have any problems reactivating. I'm a great believer in the clean install as it gets rid of all the old rubbish that builds up over the years although Macs are much better at OS upgrades than Windows which absolutely need clean installs in my experience.

MDM, as I understand it, over the next 14 hours my hard drive will be erased and the recent Time Machine back up will be installed.

Now that you bring up deactivating/activating Photoshop (and all those Nik, onOne... plug-ins), I realize I have LOTS of fun ahead. I'll have to find out how to deactivate (then reactivate), Photoshop lost when a system crashes and then is restored. Woe is me.... but, yes, it could have been even worse.

MDM, as I understand it, over the next 14 hours my hard drive will be erased and the recent Time Machine back up will be installed.

Now that you bring up deactivating/activating Photoshop (and all those Nik, onOne... plug-ins), I realize I have LOTS of fun ahead. I'll have to find out how to deactivate (then reactivate), Photoshop lost when a system crashes and then is restored. Woe is me.... but, yes, it could have been even worse.

Ann - I hope that works. I don't understand why it would take 14 hours to revert a Time Machine backup. I would have thought an hour at the most even from a slow disk. If you do have problems, the following link has very clear instructions of how to revert to a previous OS using Time Machine.  http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11181

in relation to reactivating Photoshop and depending on what version you are using I guess, if it is a long time since you installed it, then you should be able to reactivate automatically. At worst it would probably involve a call or an email to Adobe although last time I called Adobe I was waiting ages on the phone.

Best of luck ion any case.

A heads up for people upgrading to Yosemite. There are currently issues with WIFI connections. You are likely to experience either painfully slow internet or, complete drop outs of access. Works fine if hardwire connection is used. This will affect things like TimeMachine as well as internet access if you are connecting via WiFi etc.

Within the first few days, this issue has earned a lot of space on the internet so hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

A heads up for people upgrading to Yosemite. There are currently issues with WIFI connections. You are likely to experience either painfully slow internet or, complete drop outs of access. Works fine if hardwire connection is used. This will affect things like TimeMachine as well as internet access if you are connecting via WiFi etc.

Within the first few days, this issue has earned a lot of space on the internet so hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

No problems here using wifi or ethernet - runs at 20 Mbps (as it should be). Likely to experience problems may be a bit too strong a statement. It would be interesting to know what proportion of users are affected.

No problems here using wifi or ethernet - runs at 20 Mbps (as it should be). Likely to experience problems may be a bit too strong a statement. It would be interesting to know what proportion of users are affected.

I said likely due to the fact that there are 1000's of people suffering from it. It made the news. If you check the Mac forums, threads were into 20 plus pages after the 1st day. This isn't bashing Mac, I am a big user of their gear.... imacs, macbook pros etc. A quick search reveals the extend of the problem.

Edit, there are a few temp fixes but normally, the problem comes back after a few hours. There are no problems with Ethernet (wired) connections.

I said likely due to the fact that there are 1000's of people suffering from it. It made the news. If you check the Mac forums, threads were into 20 plus pages after the 1st day. This isn't bashing Mac, I am a big user of their gear.... imacs, macbook pros etc. A quick search reveals the extend of the problem.

Edit, there are a few temp fixes but normally, the problem comes back after a few hours. There are no problems with Ethernet (wired) connections.

I know you're not a Mac basher from discussions with you before and I'm not a Mac evangelist (I do like Macs though). I just figure that using the word likely suggests that more than 50% of users say are experiencing problems or that you are more likely than not to have a problem. Maybe it is that bad but I would have thought it would be making major headlines. Of course maybe those affected cannot report it.  :)

I know you're not a Mac basher from discussions with you before and I'm not a Mac evangelist (I do like Macs though). I just figure that using the word likely suggests that more than 50% of users say are experiencing problems or that you are more likely than not to have a problem. Maybe it is that bad but I would have thought it would be making major headlines. Of course maybe those affected cannot report it.  :)

Haha... yeah. It could wel be with the most recent modern routers. The biggest problem seems to be with the 5ghz network but people are also experiencing it with 2.4. Some suggest if you don't use AC wifi network you could be fine. The issue at the moment is that know one knows so you have to expect it and be pleasantly surprised if your not effected :-)

Haha... yeah. It could wel be with the most recent modern routers. The biggest problem seems to be with the 5ghz network but people are also experiencing it with 2.4. Some suggest if you don't use AC wifi network you could be fine. The issue at the moment is that know one knows so you have to expect it and be pleasantly surprised if your not effected :-)

The strangest thing happened just after we had this conversation - my wifi cut out on the Yosemite computer :lol:  :( - nothing to do with the router as other devices in house were fine. I decided to unplug the USB3 Hub I bought last week as I read in the reviews that some people experienced problems with wifi due it using the 2.4 GHz frequency (I am completely ignorant on this matter by the way). So far so good, it's not happened since.

If anyone is suffering from WiFi problems, try the following.

1. Open Spotlight Preferences from the "System Preferences" app.

2. Under Search results, remove the tick from Spotlight Suggestions,  Bookmarks & Histories, Bing Web Searches.

3. Next, open Keychain Access from the application folder "Other".

4. With "System" selected (on the left), you will see your WiFi Network name/s on the right. Double click on the one you use.

5. A new dialog box will open, select the "Access Control" tab, enter your password as requested etc.

6. Make sure the option "Allow all applications to access this item" is selected. When saving, you will have to enter your user name and password again.

7. Repeat 4-6 for each WiFi network you have then reboot pc/laptop.

8. Open disk utility from the application folder "Other" and select the main Hard Drive from the list that the OS is installed on.

9. Press "Verify Disk Permissions" and once complete, press "Repair Disk Permissions". You will probably see loads of items in need of repair  :) .

10. Press "Clear History" and then "Verify Disk Permissions" again. Hopefully there shouldn't be any problems reported now. If there are, press repair again.

11. Reboot system.

I seem to have resolved the issues I was experience after doing the above. 1 & 2 are really to stop the OS from reporting everything all "Non Internet" searches on your computer to Apple & Bing.

I'm still holding back upgrading to Yosemite on my main work iMac until I hear this problem has been resolved properly. 

Thanks for posting that Duncan. I did the Spotlight stuff already - I don't need to search the entire universe when I am just looking for an image file on my machine. I've had no further issues with wifi cutting out since I unplugged the usb hub and then it was only that once so I suspect it may have had something to do with that. I will plug it back in again and follow your instructions if the wifi should cut out again. 

Thanks for posting that Duncan. I did the Spotlight stuff already - I don't need to search the entire universe when I am just looking for an image file on my machine. I've had no further issues with wifi cutting out since I unplugged the usb hub and then it was only that once so I suspect it may have had something to do with that. I will plug it back in again and follow your instructions if the wifi should cut out again. 

I think the issues relate mainly to application permissions. It's like it forgets it can /allowed to connect to the network and has to think about it. I done the above yesterday and it is still ok today so touch wood it doesn't return.

Since upgrading to Yosemite, I have had both my iMac and my laptop crash while browsing images in Lightroom 5.  And when I say crash, I mean the whole computer shut down and restarted.  It happened first on my MacBook Pro which is 2 years old, but it has also happened now on my iMac which is only 4 months old.  I can't work out what triggered it.  I have read some Adobe forums suggesting that there is a problem when printing from Lightroom, but in my case I was just in Library mode scrolling through the catalogue.  Assuming it is a Yosemite / Lightroom bug given the timing and that it has happened now on both computers.

Since upgrading to Yosemite, I have had both my iMac and my laptop crash while browsing images in Lightroom 5.  And when I say crash, I mean the whole computer shut down and restarted.  It happened first on my MacBook Pro which is 2 years old, but it has also happened now on my iMac which is only 4 months old.  I can't work out what triggered it.  I have read some Adobe forums suggesting that there is a problem when printing from Lightroom, but in my case I was just in Library mode scrolling through the catalogue.  Assuming it is a Yosemite / Lightroom bug given the timing and that it has happened now on both computers.

Do you mean that both computers shut down and restarted spontaneously? If so, crashes like that are really unusual nowadays - common back in the 90s when Macs would leap off the desk and start banging their heads off the wall (or maybe that was me).

I can't remember the technical term offhand but the OS is protected from this behaviour when apps crash so the machine itself doesn't crash. How often is this happening? Is it repeatable? I've never had this happen in many years - the only time the OS has crashed is due to a hardware problem. However, this is very unlikely with 2 different computers when browsing images in Lightroom. Are they sharing any hardware? Could it be  due to a power failure problem - this would cause the machines to restart if you have set that as a preference? Beats me but would like to know more.

Archived