OSX Yosimite

I wish it were repeatable so I could figure out what is happening, but the only common link seems to be that I have been in Lightroom Library module each time it has happened.  So far it is happened only once on the MacBook Pro (which is the older machine), but twice now on the iMac.  In both instances, the machines spontaneously shut down and restarted.  Couldn't have been power because the other one kept running at the same time.  Very mysterious and troubling.  Will be keeping an eye on it.  Have also posted query in Adobe forums, but no response as yet.

If anyone is suffering from WiFi problems, try the following.

1. Open Spotlight Preferences from the "System Preferences" app.

2. Under Search results, remove the tick from Spotlight Suggestions,  Bookmarks & Histories, Bing Web Searches.

3. Next, open Keychain Access from the application folder "Other".

4. With "System" selected (on the left), you will see your WiFi Network name/s on the right. Double click on the one you use.

5. A new dialog box will open, select the "Access Control" tab, enter your password as requested etc.

6. Make sure the option "Allow all applications to access this item" is selected. When saving, you will have to enter your user name and password again.

7. Repeat 4-6 for each WiFi network you have then reboot pc/laptop.

8. Open disk utility from the application folder "Other" and select the main Hard Drive from the list that the OS is installed on.

9. Press "Verify Disk Permissions" and once complete, press "Repair Disk Permissions". You will probably see loads of items in need of repair  :) .

10. Press "Clear History" and then "Verify Disk Permissions" again. Hopefully there shouldn't be any problems reported now. If there are, press repair again.

11. Reboot system.

I seem to have resolved the issues I was experience after doing the above. 1 & 2 are really to stop the OS from reporting everything all "Non Internet" searches on your computer to Apple & Bing.

I'm still holding back upgrading to Yosemite on my main work iMac until I hear this problem has been resolved properly.

I tried your fix this morning. None of the things in line two could be found in spotlight. No Spotlight Suggestions,  Bookmarks & Histories, Bing Web Searches.

Then, there was no "other" folder in accessories.

So I was stymied and frustrated.

Did I not find those things because I didn't upgrade to 8.1 Yosemite? I've been having wi-if problems for 2 years.

I wish it were repeatable so I could figure out what is happening, but the only common link seems to be that I have been in Lightroom Library module each time it has happened.  So far it is happened only once on the MacBook Pro (which is the older machine), but twice now on the iMac.  In both instances, the machines spontaneously shut down and restarted.  Couldn't have been power because the other one kept running at the same time.  Very mysterious and troubling.  Will be keeping an eye on it.  Have also posted query in Adobe forums, but no response as yet.

I think Adobe forums would be your best bet alright. Please do post if you find out what is going on.

If anyone is suffering from WiFi problems, try the following.

1. Open Spotlight Preferences from the "System Preferences" app.

2. Under Search results, remove the tick from Spotlight Suggestions,  Bookmarks & Histories, Bing Web Searches.

3. Next, open Keychain Access from the application folder "Other".

4. With "System" selected (on the left), you will see your WiFi Network name/s on the right. Double click on the one you use.

5. A new dialog box will open, select the "Access Control" tab, enter your password as requested etc.

6. Make sure the option "Allow all applications to access this item" is selected. When saving, you will have to enter your user name and password again.

7. Repeat 4-6 for each WiFi network you have then reboot pc/laptop.

8. Open disk utility from the application folder "Other" and select the main Hard Drive from the list that the OS is installed on.

9. Press "Verify Disk Permissions" and once complete, press "Repair Disk Permissions". You will probably see loads of items in need of repair  :) .

10. Press "Clear History" and then "Verify Disk Permissions" again. Hopefully there shouldn't be any problems reported now. If there are, press repair again.

11. Reboot system.

I seem to have resolved the issues I was experience after doing the above. 1 & 2 are really to stop the OS from reporting everything all "Non Internet" searches on your computer to Apple & Bing.

I'm still holding back upgrading to Yosemite on my main work iMac until I hear this problem has been resolved properly.

I tried your fix this morning. None of the things in line two could be found in spotlight. No Spotlight Suggestions,  Bookmarks & Histories, Bing Web Searches.

Then, there was no "other" folder in accessories.

So I was stymied and frustrated.

Did I not find those things because I didn't upgrade to 8.1 Yosemite? I've been having wi-if problems for 2 years.

Are you in Spotlight System Preferences?

OK.  I went to the apple, selected System Preferences.  From there, I chose "Spotlight"  Under spotlight, there is a list of 15 items, the 2nd is System Preferences.  But this is just a list with checkmarks in the boxes beside them, and the items aren't clickable or can't be opened.  I tried right clicking, I tried searching "System Preferences" in the search box, nothing worked to get me the list you speak of.

ARRGGH!

If you click on System Preferences, then Spotlight at the Top, you will see a list of 21 Check Boxes. Checkboxes 2, 16 & 21 should be "Spotlight Suggestions,  Bookmarks & Histories, Bing Web Searches."

Remove the crosses from them and close. Job done.

This is only relevant if you have Yosemite as it will communicate with Apple about your searches on the PC. These changes are not related to WiFi issues directly. Also, the WiFi issues referred to here are only specific to Yosemite so the cure for that will not necessarily relate to Mavericks (previous version of OS X).

Hope this helps.

If you click on System Preferences, then Spotlight at the Top, you will see a list of 21 Check Boxes. Checkboxes 2, 16 & 21 should be "Spotlight Suggestions,  Bookmarks & Histories, Bing Web Searches."

Remove the crosses from them and close. Job done.

This is only relevant if you have Yosemite as it will communicate with Apple about your searches on the PC. These changes are not related to WiFi issues directly. Also, the WiFi issues referred to here are only specific to Yosemite so the cure for that will not necessarily relate to Mavericks (previous version of OS X).

Hope this helps.

That does answer my questions. I haven't upgraded to Yosimite. My ongoing problems will continue to be ongoing. Thanks for trying to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Never upgrade software until the upgrade has been out for at least 3 months.

Here is a long series of helpful articles on problems with Yosimite.

My sentiment exactly. I am not a techie so I prefer those that are to sort out all the bugs and ensure compatibility. Not sure what advantages this OS offers for me from the blurb. Seems to be mostly visuals.

dov

Still waiting to upload Yosemite, probably late January next year or even later. Until then the only problem I have is when I open some apps (pages, keynote and numbers) a flash appears telling me to upload an update. When I look at the update it tells me to upload Yosemite first as update incompatible with Mavericks. NAAH! I'll wait.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Just been on Apple support communities site and it appears Yosemite is still causing problems so will delay the download a while longer yet.

Allan

I received an update to my macbook last night to version 10.10.1 to fix the WiFi problems and security fixes.

Thanks Alex, I will still wait awhile to make sure it is all settled down before uploading.

Allan

Updated to Yosemite as soon as it came out, touch wood, still no problems here. Interesting to see that yesterdays update contained fixes for WiFi. Seems fine to me. I am starting to appreciate the connectivity with iPad and iPhone through iCloud now. I didn't think it would be a lot of use to me at first, but now that a lot of my picture work is done on iPhone, it is actually quite useful.

I'm holding off, too.

Good for you Betty.

I do not see why any provider of software/firmware/OS ware cannot fully test their updates in house before releasing them on the general public.

As far as I am concerned Yosemite is still in BETA stage and I would not download any BETA software/firmware/OS ware and be one of the Guinea pigs.

Allan

Archived