I'm always impressed when I read the "How was your September" type thread and see photographers with relatively small portfolios and a healthy sales column and the other thing that impresses is when I see someone with over an average $100 per image total. This leaves me envious but suitably impressed. What impresses you on the Alamy forum? Big pat on the back to those folk mentioned.

I'm impressed by the number of images some forum members -- those who haven't inflated their collections with similars -- have managed to upload, sometimes in relatively short periods of time. It has taken me over six years to get to where I am now (4724). Choosing and preparing a handful of images for Alamy can take me a couple of weeks at times.

I'd be impressed (well, interested) with discussions on what changes to approach folk have made in relation to their photography, in response perhaps to all the chatter about CTRs, best/worst month, favourite image etc etc etc, and the success or otherwise of those changes in approach.

One or two of the regulars here do occasionally make little forays into that particular territory (coincidentally there's one even now in another thread), but it's few and far between, too easily lost in the "other" chatter . . .

dd

I'm always impressed when I read the "How was your September" type thread and see photographers with relatively small portfolios and a healthy sales column and the other thing that impresses is when I see someone with over an average $100 per image total. This leaves me envious but suitably impressed. What impresses you on the Alamy forum? Big pat on the back to those folk mentioned.

Just curious, are you talking earnings per image, i.e. someone with 1,000 images who has earned $100,000?  I imagine those guys are few and far between?

Hi Woody, no I'm talking about someone with maybe five sales for $750 or 11 sales for $1500, that kind of thing. Yes I know it could be down to one image but just the same those kind of figures impress me.

John, yes building a collection which isn't full of similars ain't easy and doesn't get any easier

Hi Woody, no I'm talking about someone with maybe five sales for $750 or 11 sales for $1500, that kind of thing. Yes I know it could be down to one image but just the same those kind of figures impress me.

Someone who didn't sign in for NU nor distribution sales, will have a higher average $/image rate than someone who did.

Cheers,

Philippe

True, I came out of distribution last month, sales were reasonable but once everyone had had their cut there was little left. That irked me. I have never been in NU as that also seemed like a race to the bottom.

I'm impressed with our fellow Alamy contributors/photographers who have been here and worked hard for several years building their profiles, yet, they are quick to help newbies with any questions that they may have.  Thank you very much.

I would be impressed if I get at least one download within the next year :)

is here anybody else who has just startet this year on Alamy and has built up a smaller but nice portfolio with at least a handful of sales?

Would be interesting for me to hear something from other newbies! :)

My sales and CTR wouldn't impress anyone (actually they more or less depress me) but I sold the same store sign twice in 2014, once for $521 and once for $177.   Both sales cleared long ago so little worry that they'll ask for a refund. 

Along those lines, I noticed in the "images sold" thread that several images where things like Home Base, Walmart, Tesco, ...  

What impresses me about these forums is that people are happy to help in a constructive manner.  Just because your new to Alamy doesn't mean that you're new to photography and I've often noticed a slight tendency to patronise new entrants.

It's also great to come to a forum where it's positive.  There's no doubt that the industry is undergoing a significant re-balancing and there are of course some winners and losers, but this is making a lot of other forums agency bashing arenas.  I love the Stockimo app and feel it's great the way that Alamy is grabbing the future with both hands whilst not forgetting the past.  I find these forums accepting of new digital techniques which is more than can be said of some others sadly.

Still, aspiring to get some decent outcomes from my minute portfolio :D  

Archived