Brown Eyed Susans

Well, here we go again. Might this image send me to the Sin Bin? Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

You can mouse over the image and click on the moveable green box to see 100% views. Everything looks fine to me, but my concern is that QC might not think that there is an obvious centre of focus.

What? Me paranoid?

P.S. I know there is no shortage of flower images like this on Alamy. However, I kinda like this one. Also, I just had something similar lease, amazingly enough.

I agree with Jill regarding the blacks. Flowers shouldn't look sinister. I'm sorry, but I'm not in a frame of mind to suggest what anyone should do about submissions. As for myself, I will be submitting or not submitting images based on one opinion -- my own.

I agree with Jill regarding the blacks. Flowers shouldn't look sinister. I'm sorry, but I'm not in a frame of mind to suggest what anyone should do about submissions. As for myself, I will be submitting or not submitting images based on one opinion -- my own.

I guess they do look somewhat sinistro (or sinistri). I've tried to brighten them up a bit. 

Speaking as someone with very little experience with Alamy, I'd be grateful to find out whether it passes or not (if it gets submitted, obviously). It's just that the top left, and especially top right, look out of focus, although 99% of the image seems perfect to me.

I have quite a few photos which have tiny bits out of focus, and I am hesitant to upload them at the moment.

Speaking as someone with very little experience with Alamy, I'd be grateful to find out whether it passes or not (if it gets submitted, obviously). It's just that the top left, and especially top right, look out of focus, although 99% of the image seems perfect to me.

I have quite a few photos which have tiny bits out of focus, and I am hesitant to upload them at the moment.

Provided that the bits that should be in focus are sharp you should have no problems. I find QC to be  quite happy with differential focus, intentional speed blurring etc. What isn't acceptable is muck on the sensor showing as marks, chromatic abberration, sharp bits not quite sharp enough, limited tonal range, excessive digital manipulation etc etc.

Having said that I am currently holding my breath over latest my latest submissions, the axe can fall at any time.  :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. I have a number of other images like this one with "tiny bits" out of focus -- it's unavoidable sometimes -- that I'm reluctant to submit. It would be helpful if Alamy had something in their submission guidelines about their policy regarding these types of shots.

Provided that the bits that should be in focus are sharp you should have no problems. I find QC to be  quite happy with differential focus, intentional speed blurring etc. What isn't acceptable is muck on the sensor showing as marks, chromatic abberration, sharp bits not quite sharp enough, limited tonal range, excessive digital manipulation etc etc.

Having said that I am currently holding my breath over latest my latest submissions, the axe can fall at any time.  :rolleyes:

Thanks, Bryan. "Should be in focus" is what gets me. It can be highly subjective.

Focus looks fine to me - seems to be centred one third up and one third from right. Like the pic  - a touch of summer.

dov

Yes, that's what I usually do with compositions like these -- i.e. focus about 1/3 into the frame. I just hope that the bits in focus are sharp enough for Alamy. But I'll probably submit this one. I'm getting sick of holding back images that look fine to me.

Well, here we go again. Might this image send me to the Sin Bin? Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

You can mouse over the image and click on the moveable green box to see 100% views. Everything looks fine to me, but my concern is that QC might not think that there is an obvious centre of focus.

What? Me paranoid?

P.S. I know there is no shortage of flower images like this on Alamy. However, I kinda like this one. Also, I just had something similar lease, amazingly enough.

This may be just my screen but I seem to see some fringing that would make me hesitate [ Iv'e just had a SoLD ] btw so am twitchy]

What? Me paranoid?

This may be just my screen but I seem to see some fringing that would make me hesitate [ Iv'e just had a SoLD ] btw so am twitchy]

I'm twitchy as well. Shall try retaking this subject with a tripod today.

What? Me paranoid?

I find using a wide angle focal length on a small sensor camera is best for that kind of shot to maximise depth of focus.

My Canon G15 is useful for this on macro setting. e.g D5GYXJ which was taken at a f4 at focal length of 6.1mm and has just been published.

Alternatively go to the other extreme, and make sure the flowers in the centre are in focus and those that aren't in focus are clearly blurred when viewed at Alamy zoom size.

QC seem quite happy with obvious selective focus on a subject, or else "everything in focus", but anything in between is more risky.

What? Me paranoid?

I find using a wide angle focal length on a small sensor camera is best for that kind of shot to maximise depth of focus.

My Canon G15 is useful for this on macro setting. e.g D5GYXJ which was taken at a f4 at focal length of 6.1mm and has just been published.

Alternatively go to the other extreme, and make sure the flowers in the centre are in focus and those that aren't in focus are clearly blurred when viewed at Alamy zoom size.

QC seem quite happy with obvious selective focus on a subject, or else "everything in focus", but anything in between is more risky.

Useful comments. Thanks.

I had a look at the flower image that you referred to. It sounds as if owning a camera with a small sensor could be worthwhile. When/if finances permit, I might buy a Sony RX100, which I imagine would be good for this type of shooting due its one-inch (I believe) sensor.

Here is a closeup shot that I took with Alamy in mind. I made sure to keep the centre design in focus.

Archived