Perpetual Chromatic Aberration

I am noticing that over the past couple of months, almost all my shots that have been taken in late afternoon have green CA. As fixing the CA does affect the detail, is there a filter that I can buy that helps with this at all?

Mid-day shots or indoor don't seem to have this issue.

Jill

Since new lenses are not in my budget (sure wish they were) I'll have to cope with it I guess. Or try to get out mid-day for shooting instead of late afternoon, early evening. Yet I love the effect of the sun lower in the sky.

Jill

Can be removed in image processing software, depending on the software you have.

Allan

I do remove it in ACR, but it does have a small affect on the detail.

Jill

You might try downloading a trial copy of Silkypix. To my eye, it causes less image degradation than ACR and the CA removal is quite easy to do by just hitting the offending fringe with an eyedropper.

Si

Can be removed in image processing software, depending on the software you have.

Allan

Jill

Jill, does your current camera have built-in CA reduction that you can experiment with?  I've seen barely a trace of any kind of CA or purple fringing in my images since I started using this option, even with my budget lenses.

Si

Allan

Jill

Jill, does your current camera have built-in CA reduction that you can experiment with?  I've seen barely a trace of any kind of CA or purple fringing in my images since I started using this option, even with my budget lenses.

Gee John, I don't know. I'll have to look that up and see.

Jill

Si

Allan

Jill

Jill

If it does, you'll probably have to shoot in JPEG mode, which I've started doing most of the time. This hasn't been a problem for me, though. The JPEGs produced by today's cameras tend to be very good indeed.

If it does, you'll probably have to shoot in JPEG mode, which I've started doing most of the time. This hasn't been a problem for me, though. The JPEGs produced by today's cameras tend to be very good indeed.

Depends on the camera. My Lumix G5 can produce corrected jpgs (for distortion and CA), but ACR and LR also automatically apply the necessary corrections by using parameters (separate radial distortion coefficients for R, G and B image planes depending on the lens and focal length in use) which the camera stores in the RAW files. Works very well.

I very occasionally get some purple fringing around high contrast edges in the extreme corners, but the LR eyedropper sorts those out if needed.

Si

Allan

Jill

Jill

Well I found it on my camera, and it is on. So maybe when I go out next time I will shoot RAW and jpg instead of just RAW and compare.

Jill

Archived