I'm confused about the rules on using photos taken on National Trust properties. I see there are many images on Alamy that are marked as not having property release, but the byelaw says 'No unauthorised person shall on Trust Property sell or offer or expose for sale any commodity or article or for the purpose of trade or reward take any photograph'. It also says the following:- Photography for other photo libraries is never permitted.

Can anyone explain please?

I believe that those you find are probably mostly library collections transferred to alamy in bulk and have been left alone. You also find lots of RF images that should not be and they mostly belong to libraries. Somehow they slip the net. You put up a NT photo and you will probably get nabbed fairly soon after. I have reported on a few occasions mass collections of RF that shouldn't be and they haven't been touched.

Kevin

As I recall there have been periodic culls of NT images. That said some seem to be missed. Only authorised photographers are allowed to take photos. Having seen some of their images I wonder whether merit or ability are selection criteria!!

dov

In the opinion of many the NT is abusing the byelaw to protect its library's monopoly but until we have a rich benefactor to take it to judicial review we're stuck with the NT's strongarming of picture libraries.

If you have NT images, keep a low profile and don't put 'national trust' in the keywords. Or as Jane said make sure your images are taken from a public footpath.

I'm confused about how this policy would apply to NT landscapes such as Blakeney Point in Norfolk where there is no fee paid (i.e. conditions) to go there. Having just returned from a few days on the north Norfolk coast which included a boat trip to Blakeney I'd like to add some images to my collection but would I be advised not too?  Certainly there are many images and relevant searches being carried out on Alamy.

OK, I've done a forum search (should have done so first, perhaps) and it would seem that NT open landscapes are not restricted in the same way as NT buildings and sites where access is paid for.  That being the case, submitting images from Blakeney Point is acceptable, I believe.  Any comments still welcome. :)   

In my opinion the National Trust belongs to the public.

The problem is that legally speaking it doesn't. It's a not-for-profit company.

I have no qualms about putting up pictures taken from publicly-accessible land, half of which in Britain seems to belong to the Trust these days.

Alan

Probably just about enough has been said about the NT and their attitude to photographers over the years, but what I scratch my shiny dome about is how The NTPL representation on Alamy works: They have a whole lot of excellent shots in the collection but the rights restrictions list seems to include (or rather EXCLUDE) just about anything imaginable. Can anyone suggest what rights Alamy can actually sell? And where?

A jigsaw puzzle in Uzbekistan? No I don't think so. A loo roll holder in Barbados? probably not........... A primary school teacher's notes in Swaziland? maybe that's the one!

Archived