Yeah, another sale!

I'm so excited!  I was lazing about the house enjoying the 4th of July holiday and for some reason I decided to check out the features on the new My Alamy.  I found a new sale has just popped up--thank you Alamy!!  It's an image that was zoomed the first week in December...almost 7 months to the day between zoom and sale.  Sadly I'm still a few dollars shy of that $75 minimum for payment so hopefully one of my other zooms will produce another sale soon.  Anyway, here it is:

Usage: iQ sale: Retail book, editorial print + digital use, inside, One time use only.
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 04 July 2014
End: 04 July 2024

DA317P.jpg

Great!

Not being disrespectful to you but it still amazes what sells on Alamy. :)  Thank heavens.

Allan

Thank you to Kumar, Anne and Pete.

John, you are not mistaken.  The plantation where this was taken is famous for it's tabby ruins, a concrete-like construction method that uses shells and sand.

No offense taken Allan.  My guess is that an image like this will only be used for a textbook or travel-related text.  At least it paid for my gas to visit the plantation. 

I can't decide if $58.50 gross is good or bad compensation for 10 years of usage.  Since it's unlikely this image will be printed full page I'm going to assume it's a good return for the image.

Edit:  I promise I won't post every time I make a sale but making a sale is still a noteworthy event for me.  Out of curiosity, how many zooms does it take on average to produce one sale?  5-10-or more?

Hmm, my zooms have (so far) generated about 1 sale for every 10 zooms.  I guess that the thumbnails must look good, at least :D.

Congrats on the sale, Lynn :) .

Too true, Allan: just had a sale yesterday (my average 1/mth :( ) of a straight-up picture of a French parking meter.  It was licensed (via distributor -boooo! :angry:) to a German magazine.  Never ceases to amaze.  At least it justified me taking the camera with me - I'd just arrived in France, had about two hours (poor quality) sleep, had a killer migraine and was trying to get some fresh air into my wrecked body.  Still took the camera with me and pointed it at things.  If the agony of mind and body at the time were taken into account, the photo should earn me millions! :D .

OK - that's my monthly 'smiley' icons allowance used up...

Too true, Allan: just had a sale yesterday (my average 1/mth :(

Lucky you, my sales are not as good as that just now (if ever). :(  :angry:  :huh:  :o  :wacko:  :blink:

Better not use any more smilies, need to keep some for later.

Allan

Thank you to Kumar, Anne and Pete.

John, you are not mistaken.  The plantation where this was taken is famous for it's tabby ruins, a concrete-like construction method that uses shells and sand.

No offense taken Allan.  My guess is that an image like this will only be used for a textbook or travel-related text.  At least it paid for my gas to visit the plantation. 

I can't decide if $58.50 gross is good or bad compensation for 10 years of usage.  Since it's unlikely this image will be printed full page I'm going to assume it's a good return for the image.

Edit:  I promise I won't post every time I make a sale but making a sale is still a noteworthy event for me.  Out of curiosity, how many zooms does it take on average to produce one sale?  5-10-or more?

It's really difficult to give any meaningful numbers when it comes to zooms. I'd say that only about 50% (max) of my zoomed images end up being leased. I wouldn't say that the fee you got was good, but it's not all that bad for an IQ sale. They can be considerably lower.

I've seen similar stone in Mexico, along the Gulf. This one of "shoal" or coral stone was taken at some very old Spanish ruins in coastal Veracruz:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/8/%7BB4FF79F5-270E-4E5A-A4C6-F086BB1DDF1F%7D/CR7XCJ.jpg

And, yes, textbooks and travel guides like shots like these.

I just checked and for me 110 zooms in the last six months = 28 sales. But lots of my sales were never zoomed so I don't think it means very much. Congrats on your recent sale. 

I just checked and for me 110 zooms in the last six months = 28 sales. But lots of my sales were never zoomed so I don't think it means very much. Congrats on your recent sale. 

I also checked my stats: 172 zooms = 55 sales (roughly 3:1 zooms to sales ratio) for the same time period.

Don't think (?) this means very much, though.

The zoom to sale ratio may not mean much but all of you are running between 3:1 and 10:1 for zooms:sales.  That puts me a bit behind in sales when compared to zooms.  Of course if all of them wait 7 months after zooming to report the sale then I have a while to wait!  Where I'm behind is in the ratio of zooms to total images.

A day or so after this sale someone zoomed eight more images in the same grouping (same shoot).  I'm hopeful they will be needing lots more images for their book so I've uploaded a bunch more images from the same shoot.  They are waiting for QC at the moment, Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long.

Archived