In fact I am always adding and subtracting keywords long after they have gone on sale.

I look through what images of mine have been viewed every day and if I get a view that I shouldn't have got for that subject I will delete the keywords that brought up the incorrect search.

Also when I look at some of the images that have come up in a search I can sometimes add keywords that I hadn't originally thought of.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

What about phrases in Keywords? Can you separate them with commas? 

Commas are ignored so there's no point in using them - spaces are the only recognised separator for keywords. In theory you can put phrases in quotes but despite Alamy promising at least 6 years ago that they would update the search engine to recognise them as phrases, they've never done so. Some of us still live in hope but for now if you include phrases in quotes they will just be treated as separate individual keywords.

Alan

In theory you can put phrases in quotes but despite Alamy promising at least 6 years ago that they would update the search engine to recognise them as phrases, they've never done so. Some of us still live in hope but for now if you include phrases in quotes they will just be treated as separate individual keywords.

Alan

Hi Alan:

Putting phrases in quotations does indeed work now.  Try searching for short dogs without quotations and "short dogs" with quotations.  Different results.  I'm not sure when it came in but it is very useful.

Kathy deWitt

Commas are ignored so there's no point in using them - spaces are the only recognised separator for keywords. In theory you can put phrases in quotes but despite Alamy promising at least 6 years ago that they would update the search engine to recognise them as phrases, they've never done so. Some of us still live in hope but for now if you include phrases in quotes they will just be treated as separate individual keywords.

Alan

Well, there is merit to using quotes. if I put in 

1) salisbury cathedral = 3860 photos

2) "salisbury cathedral" = 3348

Something is happening somewhere, so I would say it's worth putting in the quotes.

Commas aren't ignored. I still have plenty of images with them and they return searches as you'd expect. I only stopped using them to facilitate cut and paste.

I mean they're ignored in the sense that the search engine returns the same results whether you put commas between your keywords or not. In fact, what the system seems to do is actually to insert commas between keywords if you don't put them there, judging by the keywords listed at the bottom of the image display page. The only advantage of not using them is that get a few extra precious characters to play with in the Essential box.

Alan

Putting phrases in quotations does indeed work now.  Try searching for short dogs without quotations and "short dogs" with quotations.  Different results.  I'm not sure when it came in but it is very useful.

No, that's something completely different. You're talking about quotes in the search string, not in the keywords. If you search for "short dogs" in quotes you will only find matches where those two words are adjacent in that order. But the same images will come up if you search for either 'short' or 'dogs'. Implementing quotes around keyword phrases (which Alamy certainly haven't done yet) means that only images with the two words together will be found, cutting out a lot of irrelevant matches which are, to coin a phrase, a bleedin' nuisance.

For example, I have images of Salcombe Regis. I have keyworded them as "salcombe regis" but they still come up in searches for Salcombe which is an entirely different place. You can tell it's not been implemented by looking at how the keywords are displayed. They appear as ..., "salcombe, regis", ... which clearly indicates that they are still treated as separate keywords, not as a phrase.

Alan

Edit: and by the same token, if there happened to be a Bognor Street in Salcombe Regis, it would turn up in searches for Bognor Regis.

Well, there is merit to using quotes. if I put in 

1) salisbury cathedral = 3860 photos

2) "salisbury cathedral" = 3348

Something is happening somewhere, so I would say it's worth putting in the quotes.

See my reply to Kathy.

There is no merit to using quotes in keywords... currently. Whether it's worth doing it now for a possible future is up to you.

Alan

No, that's something completely different. You're talking about quotes in the search string, not in the keywords. If you search for "short dogs" in quotes you will only find matches where those two words are adjacent in that order. But the same images will come up if you search for either 'short' or 'dogs'. Implementing quotes around keyword phrases (which Alamy certainly haven't done yet) means that only images with the two words together will be found, cutting out a lot of irrelevant matches which are, to coin a phrase, a bleedin' nuisance.

For example, I have images of Salcombe Regis. I have keyworded them as "salcombe regis" but they still come up in searches for Salcombe which is an entirely different place. You can tell it's not been implemented by looking at how the keywords are displayed. They appear as ..., "salcombe, regis", ... which clearly indicates that they are still treated as separate keywords, not as a phrase.

Alan

Edit: and by the same token, if there happened to be a Bognor Street in Salcombe Regis, it would turn up in searches for Bognor Regis.

Thank you for pointing out the difference Alan.  

Perhaps having clarified this Alamy will take action, or not, if there is a reason they haven't done so.

Kathy

Archived