Newbie for Lightroom 4

I spent a couple of hours now with Lightroom 4 in order to familiarise myself with the interface and the menus etc.

When I insert keywords into a image/images, the keywords are sorted in alphabetical order automatically.  Can I switch off this automatic sort function?  I looked through Preference, but no luck.

Many thanks

Sung

Thank you for your reply, Pearl.

So with images I submit to Alamy, do I have to reorder keywords in Manage Images v2.4? No other way round to avoid that?  

Sung

Thank you for your reply, Pearl.

So with images I submit to Alamy, do I have to reorder keywords in Manage Images v2.4? No other way round to avoid that?  

Sung

Basically yes, you just have to sort them into some sort of logical order. Unless you go down the plug-in route as mentioned by Colin.  I haven't tried it so can't comment on that.

Pearl

If  you use the small box labeled "click here to add keywords" then they will form alphabetically. However, if you type straight into the main large box for keywords they will stay as typed.

This is how I keyword all my images for Alamy.

[/url] Untitled by Ray Evans1, on Flickr">8734967557_d72c81b8c9_o.jpg

I spent a couple of hours now with Lightroom 4 in order to familiarise myself with the interface and the menus etc.

When I insert keywords into a image/images, the keywords are sorted in alphabetical order automatically. Can I switch off this automatic sort function? I looked through Preference, but no luck.

Many thanks

Sung

I spent a couple of hours now with Lightroom 4 in order to familiarise myself with the interface and the menus etc.

When I insert keywords into a image/images, the keywords are sorted in alphabetical order automatically. Can I switch off this automatic sort function? I looked through Preference, but no luck.

Many thanks

Sung

If  you use the small box labeled "click here to add keywords" then they will form alphabetically. However, if you type straight into the main large box for keywords they will stay as typed.

[/url] Untitled by Ray Evans1, on Flickr">8734967557_d72c81b8c9_o.jpg

I hadn't realised that as I always input keywords through the list so that I can benefit from the hierarchy - means just a few clicks rather than lots of typing but I guess if you only add a few keywords it's useful to know.

Pearl

Hi ReeRay

Just tried that, but as soon as I get out of the box, it sorts itself out in alphabetical order.!?  

Sung

I sometimes type right into the box too and they go to alphabetical order. Wonder why the difference?

Paulette

I have just tried it and the keywords sort alphabetically if you put a coma between them, which you are supposed to.  The way ReeRay has done it without comas means that LR4 is seeing his keyword list as just one keyword so the words stay in the same order.

Pearl

I sometimes type right into the box too and they go to alphabetical order. Wonder why the difference?

Paulette

I have just tried it and the keywords sort alphabetically if you put a coma between them, which you are supposed to.  The way ReeRay has done it without comas means that LR4 is seeing his keyword list as just one keyword so the words stay in the same order.

Pearl

Might be, or might not Pearl.

There's a setting in LR Prefs where you can choose not to delimit keywords with commas but then you have to put multi-word keywords in inverted commas.

Are they exported in that order too Ray?

Yes, they export into the comprehensve section and then I merely cut and paste to ess. or main. If I caption in LR this fits directly Alamy caption.

My keyword workflow is to insert only basic relevant words (singular) and after QC insert plurals and more extensive keywords.

Paulette

Pearl

That's correct Pearl, but as I invariably keyword each image individually I've never found the need for the LR historical archive set. Even attending to similars I highlight all the relevant images, type into one, which converts to all. Inserting a coma between each word takes up keyworg space also.

It works for me but maybe others have their own system

Ray

• 8 months later...

Hello Sung,

I haven´t found a 100% perfect solution, but there is a plugin, which comes pretty close: Alamy Picture Manager. Its not for free, but its worth it´s price.

Colin

Hi Colin after downloading the Alamy Picture Manager plugin did you have a message stating that your addpseudonym.lua file is damaged and if so how did you go about resolving it please.

Regards Jim Clarke

Archived