Twitter and Facebook sales?

This one popped up today. Interesting. Don't think I've seen Twitter and/or FB mentioned in usage terms before. Low fee but not a distributor sale.

Usage: iQ sale: Editorial Magazine. Editorial print and digital use including Facebook and Twitter in association with the original article.

Up to 1/8 page, repeat use within a single issue
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 04 April 2014
End: 04 April 2016

Anyone else getting sales like these?

Started seeing these in September of last year - prices through to this month are fairly similar so maybe same mag or publishing group.

I assumed a link on their website to share the article but not looked to find out.

No mine don't mention Twitter and/or Facebook...

Usage: iQ sale: Editorial newspaper editorial print and digital use, inside, one time use only
Start: 02 April 2014
End: 02 April 2016

This one popped up today. Interesting. Don't think I've seen Twitter and/or FB mentioned in usage terms before. Low fee but not a distributor sale.

Usage: iQ sale: Editorial Magazine. Editorial print and digital use including Facebook and Twitter in association with the original article.

Up to 1/8 page, repeat use within a single issue

Start: 04 April 2014

End: 04 April 2016

Anyone else getting sales like these?

Yes, I had one this morning.

Not quite happy about it. Will result in several infringements.

Also got a better priced double page text book sale at the same time. Prefer much.

Interesting because the TOS of Twitter and Facebook state that they can use any uploaded photos for ads and syndication.

I notice a lot of news sites such as Yahoo news use Facebook photos and right over the copyright they put © FACEBOOK over the copyright holders name if the photog or person happened to put their name ON the photo.

L

Interesting because the TOS of Twitter and Facebook state that they can use any uploaded photos for ads and syndication.

I notice a lot of news sites such as Yahoo news use Facebook photos and right over the copyright they put © FACEBOOK over the copyright holders name if the photog or person happened to put their name ON the photo.

L

This is another suicide course for the photographers.

In case of images being (mis)used by Facebook the infringer will actually be the original buyer or rather the image agency itself selling the image mentioning the use on Facebook in the terms...

Photographers should be able to add no use on Facebook, etc. in the restrictions.

The usage terms state, "...including Facebook and Twitter in association with the original article." This is pretty vague. But I suppose it might mean that the image could be uploaded directly to the magazine's FB page. Or does it? It all depends on what "in association" means.

No doubt everyone knows about Facebook's somewhat scarey TOS agreement, but I thought I would post this link anyway. There may be more up-to-date info out there as well.

http://asmp.org/fb-tos#.U0GpVKKGifM

The following sounds particularly worrisome to me in the context of sales such as the one mentioned in my original post:

"There are also some very important business and legal concerns for photographers to consider. For instance, imagine that a client comes to you in a few months and wants to license an image from you for exclusive commercial use. If that image is posted on Facebook, you would not be able to offer exclusivity to that client because Facebook’s preexisting license to that image would be a conflict. If you were to go through with that agreement, you could be in breach of one contract or the other."

I don't offer exclusivity, but couldn't there be future RM/RF conflicts and issues as well if RM images have been posted on FB by a photo buyer?

I avoid putting my real work on FB, in fact I tend to avoid putting any pics up on any social media site for exactly the reasons above. They just claim too many rights.

I'm not a big FB user, but I usually post links to photos rather than the actual images for the same reasons. It seems to me that once you post a RM image on FB, it immediately becomes RF.

Archived