Latest Cell Phone Photography Tech

MariaJ

This was in our local paper on the weekend.  They compare quality of images from some of the newer cell phone camera technologies to DSLR.  

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/First+rate+photos+high+video+frontier+smartphones/9558743/story.html

Camera phone despisers, please don't shoot the messenger!  At the moment I don't even have a smartphone.  Thought it was interesting that Samsung will have a 16 MP camera phone.

I have nothing against manufactures producing better cell phone cameras. Like all cameras, these are just tools for taking pictures. It's the direction the stock business is going that bothers me. 

This was in our local paper on the weekend.  They compare quality of images from some of the newer cell phone camera technologies to DSLR.  

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/First+rate+photos+high+video+frontier+smartphones/9558743/story.html

Camera phone despisers, please don't shoot the messenger!  At the moment I don't even have a smartphone.  Thought it was interesting that Samsung will have a 16 MP camera phone.

Great people will now be shooting 16MP selfie's with an image of their food, can't wait to see if they use source!! (using the inbuilt samsung stamp camera setting)..... i thought it was bad enough seeing my facebook feed flooded with random, low res and blurry selfies...  

If people want AF speed, for another 03 seconds why not bug the a6000 which has AF of 06 seconds and a better sensor!!!!!!! 

I have nothing against manufactures producing better cell phone cameras. Like all cameras, these are just tools for taking pictures. It's the direction the stock business is going that bothers me. 

Don't worrie, i think the stock video market going to be next Haha. Hopefully, this should start peaking relatively soon, then a casual slow drop of interest as the masses get bored and switch to a new thingy from McApple. 

Artsy cellphone images seem to be very much a niche market. I wonder if there are really enough buyers out there to make it financially viable in the long run. After all, anyone can now theoretically become a do-it-yourself iPhonographer or Samsung Snapper. It seems to me that the stock business is heading off in several directions at once. If nothing else, it should prove to be an interesting evolution. Perhaps there will no longer be such as thing as "stock photography" in the not-too-distant future. The term already sounds a bit like an anachronism. 

:-) . . . heck, what happens when phones' technical capabilities match DSLR . . . there'll be no distinction between the two . . . other than lack of QC on phone images. Sounds reasonable.

dd

Not sure if it would be possible to fit a "full frame" sensor in a cell phone. :blink:

Allan

But i wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't to happen, not in the sense as built into the cell. However brought out as an additional attachable NFC lens for almost any phone like the sony QX lens  (QX100 is the same lens as the RX100!!) 

Smartphone camera sensors are tiny. They continually cram megapixels into these tiny sensors just to sell more phones each year. It's a marketing swindle that has us all rushing to the shops to sign up for our next 24 month contract. They are good for what they are. A quick way to get happy snaps of nights out, days away and holiday pics. My whole trip to Cyprus last year was documented on my 4MP Android phone. It was the only camera I had and it worked well.  

I can see where they are useful. I don't worry about them and don't think they'll ever push out the DSLR. The sheer performance of my Canon 1D MK3 10MP 7 year old camera will never be touched with a smartphone ever. 

If it was a worrying trend, Canon, Nilkon and whoever else would have been putting their stuff in them or even making their own several years ago. They have reached the limit of what it possible. That's why they keep having to add stupid features to them to sell more. Face detection? Really? If you don't know your taking a picture of someone and need your phone to tell you, then maybe put the booze away lol 

A quick historic though: until a few years ago, the quality of the reproductions of images in newspapers were really bad, bad quality B&W printed on cheap paper. This improved for a short time. Now we seem headed back to 'just get a picture.' I suspect that newspapers did not see any big improvement in their profits when the picture quality improved. 

Edo

I remember back in the late 70s and 80s those cheap Diana cameras became very popular for the art crowd. The whole Carmel  group had their Diana Photo books out. I never really bought into it but many did.. oh and some Diana cameras used 120 film. Sort of like huge megapixel terrible lens cameras.... oh sorry I mean phones of today.  I must be getting really old because things are beginning to repeat. I seem to remember one of the big names offering a workshop on using them.  

Don

:-) . . . heck, what happens when phones' technical capabilities match DSLR . . . there'll be no distinction between the two . . . other than lack of QC on phone images. Sounds reasonable.

dd

Yes, it seems to me that the recent craze is based a lot on the "look" of current iPhone images. As sensor technology and optics of phone cameras improve, that funky look will probably disappear. So I guess for iPhone users, it's "snap pics while the sun still shines."

Archived