Am I headed for the Sin bin?

I would appreciate some advice on this one. If you look closely at the 100% crop below, you will see a red ring around the inside of the ceiling lamps. It looks like CA. However, as far as I can make out, it isn't. At any rate, there is no way I can get rid of it. Am I headed to the you-know-what if I submit this image? I recently emerged from over a month in the Sin Bin and have no desire to renew my membership.

BeatyMuseum1402005.jpg

P.S. I found an image (see link below) on Alamy that appears to have the same red rings around ceiling lights. Can I trust QC to be consistent with their verdict? There's always a chance that this one was not inspected.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/8/%7BDB564F62-6310-4FC7-B596-DD576769E3D8%7D/AR8K58.jpg

Thanks,

-John M

I would appreciate some advice on this one. If you look closely at the 100% crop below, you will see a red ring around the inside of the ceiling lamps. It looks like CA. However, as far as I can make out, it isn't. At any rate, there is no way I can get rid of it. Am I headed to the you-know-what if I submit this image? I recently emerged from over a month in the Sin Bin and have no desire to renew my membership.

BeatyMuseum1402005.jpg

P.S. I found an image (see link below) on Alamy that appears to have the same red rings around ceiling lights. Can I trust QC to be consistent with their verdict? There's always a chance that this one was not inspected.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/8/%7BDB564F62-6310-4FC7-B596-DD576769E3D8%7D/AR8K58.jpg

Thanks,

-John M

John,

It looks like red fringing to me. I use LR almost exclusively now, so I would use the defringing tool in LR to try to remove it. I spend a lot of time checking for purple and red fringing (my canon 24-105 lens and X-Pro 1 18mm lens are culprits), and I find that tool to be the quickest way to deal with it.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks, Chris, but unfortunately I'm not using LR. This image was shot in JPEG mode with in-camera auto CA correction enabled. This usually does an excellent job of removing red/cyan CA. I've also tried using the sliders in PTLens, a reliable program that I sometimes use to correct CA. I'm not sure what is causing the red rings. They might just be a characteristic of this type of lighting.

In such circumstances I simply do a little selective de-saturation on the errant pixels. Simple, and no one is going to notice, trust me . . . especially where the adjoining areas are greyish anyway.

But of course, I don't draw attention to it beforehand in the forum . . .

dd

BeatyMuseum1402005.jpg

Thanks,

-John M

Takes a couple of seconds to remove that with a colour layer and just sample the grey and paint out the red.

BeatyMuseum1402005.jpg

Hi Geoff

Can you explain your colour layer method? For something like that I would select the red pixels and desaturate as dustydingo said, but I am always happy to add new techniques. Especially as sometimes I find the desaturate method can be a pain.

Cheers

Col

Hi Geoff

Can you explain your colour layer method? For something like that I would select the red pixels and desaturate as dustydingo said, but I am always happy to add new techniques. Especially as sometimes I find the desaturate method can be a pain.

Cheers

Col

Just add a new layer (cntrl+shift+n), set the blend mode to color in the drop down menu (why Adobe puts one of the most useful down at the bottom I don't know!!)  and then with the brush, alt click a suitable colour in the image and paint on the new layer- this is where a Wacom etc is very useful. You can then change the fill or opacity to suit. If you use it a lot (and I do) you can have it as an action.

Hi Geoff

Cheers

Col

Just add a new layer (cntrl+shift+n), set the blend mode to color in the drop down menu (why Adobe puts one of the most useful down at the bottom I don't know!!)  and then with the brush, alt click a suitable colour in the image and paint on the new layer- this is where a Wacom etc is very useful. You can then change the fill or opacity to suit. If you use it a lot (and I do) you can have it as an action.

Nice one.... I'll try that one as well next time. Normally I just use a paint tool and brush it out, or, select just that element and removed the offending colour in Hue & Saturation.

Another method is to use Color Range: 

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/selecting-color-range-image.html

Initially use the feathered lasoo to roughly isolate the relevant area/s, then the sample brush (Select>Color Range) to select the colours you want to change (fuzziness about 10).

Copy and paste, then you have a separate layer containg only the element you are changing.  This way you can try a variety of methods to change/blend the layer with the background, useful for many different kinds of operations including noise reduction.

It's colour flare, not CA.

Don't worry about it. QC know the difference. FWIW I can hardly see it on my laptop.

I agree, Mark, this is flare, not CA. Adjusting CA sliders has no effect on it. There is also no CA visible anywhere in the photo. Not sure I want to get into complicated (for me) PS colour corrections if it isn't necessary.

However, I'm really paranoid these days, so I'll have to build up my courage before submitting this one. Sometimes I feel as if QC has hired the ghost of Sherlock Holmes to examine my images with his magnifying glass. B)

BeatyMuseum1402005.jpg

Thanks,

-John M

Takes a couple of seconds to remove that with a colour layer and just sample the grey and paint out the red.

BeatyMuseum1402005.jpg

Thanks, Geoff. This seems to be the easiest method of cleaning things up. And I'm into easy these days.

I must have no end of this sort of thing in my images (I don't know, I don't look for it) so I wouldn't worry, but then I've never been in the SB.

I bet this has some

DNY11E.jpg

or this

DPA3CM.jpg

or this

DFAMBC.jpg

If you've never been binned, you're a lucky man. It's a bit like landing on flypaper. As soon as you manage to free one leg, another one gets stuck.

dd

I don't believe that Alamy has any problem with us cleaning up images as long as the results don't look over-manipulated.

Of course!! Who is suggesting otherwise?

However. . . your posts indicate you were/are considering submitting the image in quesiton without alteration, to which you have indeed drawn attention beforehand:

Not sure I want to get into complicated (for me) PS colour corrections if it isn't necessary.

However, I'm really paranoid these days, so I'll have to build up my courage before submitting this one.

As I said, that is not a strategy I would follow, for pretty obvious (to me) reasons.

Each to their own of course.

dd

dd

I don't believe that Alamy has any problem with us cleaning up images as long as the results don't look over-manipulated.

Of course!! Who is suggesting otherwise?

However. . . your posts indicate you were/are considering submitting the image in quesiton without alteration, to which you have indeed drawn attention beforehand:

Not sure I want to get into complicated (for me) PS colour corrections if it isn't necessary.

However, I'm really paranoid these days, so I'll have to build up my courage before submitting this one.

As I said, that is not a strategy I would follow, for pretty obvious (to me) reasons.

Each to their own of course.

dd

There was no strategy on my part, mate. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, just trying to get some expert opinions about this particular image -- i.e. whether I should submit as is or clean up the flare or whatever it is. There have been some very helpful suggestions. Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

John, I'm not for one iota suggesting you are trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes . . . I said what I, and it well may be I alone, think: simply that if I was going to submit an image I had doubts about and was worried about QC, I would not post such misgivings in the forum beforehand.

Please, try not to read more into it--I in fact thought I was hinting at something helpful . . .

dd

There is of course another completely different option and in my opinion the correct one.

When I edit a photo and I think there is a risk that it may fail, due to either image quality or QC's interpretation, then I simply do not upload it. The main problem with most people's failures is being led by your heart rather than your head.

I must admit though that I have been twitching a little over the RX100 uploads as my QC is good without a fail (apart from stockimo) since Jan 2010.

As the saying goes when reversing a large vehicle, "if in doubt get out"

Andy

There is of course another completely different option and in my opinion the correct one.

When I edit a photo and I think there is a risk that it may fail, due to either image quality or QC's interpretation, then I simply do not upload it. The main problem with most people's failures is being led by your heart rather than your head.

I must admit though that I having been twitching a little over the RX100 uploads as my QC is good without a fail (apart from stockimo) since Jan 2010.

As the saying goes when reversing a large vehicle, "if in doubt get out"

Andy

Well yes :) . . . my QC record is what it is because of judicious use of that particular option.

dd

I too usually adhere to the "if in doubt, don't submit" philosophy. But during the past year or so I've been surprised by some of QC's judgment calls -- i.e. images that I thought were fine technically ended up failing. This has left me somewhat confused about what is and isn't acceptable these days. Often the only way to find out -- as with the image in question -- is to submit and face the possibility of being sent to Rehab for a month (in my case, anyway), Not exactly a thrilling prospect.

Regarding posting an image that I have misgivings about, I can definitely see dd's point about not putting it on the forum. However, I can't help feeling that the resulting discussions can be valuable. Alamy's QC guidelines are very thorough, but they can't possibly cover everything. I've learned quite a bit in the past from forum conversations about images with possible problem areas. Perhaps I'm taking a chance, but the future benefits will hopefully outweigh the present risks.

By way of an update, it turns out I wasn't headed for the Sin Bin after all. I used a bit of selective de-saturation to remove the red rings around the lights and submitted the images yesterday. They have passed QC. The flare (?) corrections were probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again for all the advice. 

-John M

Archived