Alamy's New licensing Model

8 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I guess though that for those who haven't filled out the optional tabs, it will be a different story

It's still not clear to me what will happen about those, and these fields will still be optional (personally I have filled them in, retrospectively). Alamy haven't answered a single question that I have asked about this. If anyone hasn't filled in those fields then they wil be unable to find them in AIM as it stands, at least that's the way I see it.

Edited by Harry Harrison

When i upload images if they have property or people in them i mark them in the optional tab in the AIM as being editorial only because i do not have any releases for the people etc. I had a look yesterday at the creative collection and there are images there that were taken in places where i have shot, they have clearly identifiable people and property in them and there are no people or property releases but the contributor must have not marked them as being editorial. I posted an image earlier asking Alamy if i could upload that image and mark it as being available for ALL uses. I look forward to hearing what Alamy says. 

15 minutes ago, Martyn said:

if a potential client decides that an image of mine doesn't actually need a PR, then that's on them, not me.

That's another question that Alamy haven't answered, if you don't fill those Optional fields in the buyer will still see that there are no releases. Is there a legal difference, are you on a sounder footing if you have actively filled them in. Does the buyer ever know?

Edited by Harry Harrison

1 minute ago, Harry Harrison said:

It's still not clear to me what will happen about those, and these fields will still be optional (personally I have filled them in, retrospectively). Alamy haven't answered a single question that I have asked about this. If anyone hasn't filled in those fields then they wil be unable to find them in AIM as it stands, at least that's the way I see it.

I guess it's a possibility that the optional tabs will become mandatory, maybe more information regarding this will be forthcoming. I have always filled them in although I have yet to start going through my older images in bulk and tidying up the old system key wording, sigh !

In my opinion, the only thing that matters is whether the picture has any releases (property, people, etc.). If the photo is correctly labelled as not having this, it is the buyer's responsibility how it is used. Feel free to use it in an ad, but the legal consequences go to him, not the photographer or agency.
The editorial or commercial category is only an auxiliary category for a better (faster, narrower, etc.) search for the agency's clients.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Radim said:

If the photo is correctly labelled as not having this

Yes, but they are all labelled as having no releases unless they have them. I wonder if that is enough or whether the photographer needs to say that they have no releases in Optional.

Hi Sophie, please could you say whether the 'Sell for Editorial only' check box will be automatically checked according to what the contributor has stated in the optional fields for People and Property?

What will happen to images, both legacy and future, where those Optional fields have not been filled in, will they stay in the Uncut Creative Collection as they do now?

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

On 30/07/2024 at 09:16, Alamy said:

Today we're announcing a new change to how you will soon only be able to make your images available for either:

- Editorial Only Use

- All Uses (both editorial and commercial)

I’m still unclear as to whether Alamy will automatically update the existing licence agreements in our portfolios, to correspond with their new criteria, or whether the onus is on us to do so. With a port of >20k images it will be impossible/uneconomical to do this for each individual image. Alamy, please can you clarify ASAP? 

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Well yes, that would put a different perspective on it though Sophie hasn't said that this will be the case, and she has maintained that these fields will still be optional. That doesn't make sense to me apart from possibly that they can't back date it and they perhaps can't ensure that images accepted from agencies 'going forward' have this entered either.

It would be strange if AIM isn't updated, otherwise there will still be restriction boxes we can tick that will no longer work. But then we've had those category selection dropdown menus that make little sense for ages too. Maybe they can fix the discoverability bar at the same time...

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

10 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I’m still unclear as to whether Alamy will automatically update the existing licence agreements in our portfolios, to correspond with their new criteria, or whether the onus is on us to do so. With a port of >20k images it will be impossible/uneconomical to do this for each individual image. Alamy, please can you clarify ASAP? 

Info was in the link that Alamy posted.

As a contributor what will this mean for my portfolio of images?

If your images are currently available under the following restrictions, we will automatically map your images to the new licensing model, and there is nothing more you need to do:

• Editorial Use Only – these will remain as Editorial Use Only
  • Available for all uses (Editorial, Consumer Goods, Advertising & Promotion, Personal Use) – these will remain as being available for All Uses (both editorial and commercial)
  • Available for Editorial Use but not Consumer Goods and/or Advertising & Promotion and/or Personal Use in any combination  we will move these to Editorial Use Only

If your images have restrictions in any other various combinations, we will remove these images temporarily from sale as part of the release, to ensure a swift conversion, and then email you to ask you to confirm how you want the new options for restrictions to be applied before we place the images back on sale.

• Like 3

Hi Everyone again,

Thanks for all the comments, please try to keep them relevant to the thread about the new licensing model specifically - I've removed some that haven't been relevant, and it's not helpful to others generally to speculate or start rumours on why this decision was made. Also remember there may be others who want to raise a specific query about the topic of this thread but it can get confusing, especially if they're not regular users of the forum, when conversations are started that don't really relate specifically to the topic.

For those who've raised individual examples, we can't comment on every single image unfortunately, but with the understanding that 'commercial' stands for Advertising & Promotion, Consumer Goods and Personal Use rolled into one, you should be applying the same logic on upload as you did before for your images. The releases will remain optional, and as my previous post as long as you do not enter incorrect metadata for example, it is up to the customer to make the decision on what they choose to license according to their use. On upload you will be able to choose 'sell for editorial only'. But all images will be on sale for all uses - it's just that some will have restrictions listed and some won't. The restrictions won't block a specific licence but the customer will have to acknowledge that they have considered the restrictions only.

This is a positive move for Alamy - nothing was broken, and this is a decision that has been carefully considered by all the relevant stakeholders in the business. This change will be more in line with how other stock agencies offer their content for licensing and we firmly believe that it will lead to more sales and therefore revenue.

Also to note that for many of you there will be nothing more you need to do as everything will be moved over accordingly, but we will be in touch directly if your restrictions are set in a variety of combinations that don't fit to the new model.

Thanks,

Sophie 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alamy said:

For those who've raised individual examples, we can't comment on every single image unfortunately, but with the understanding that 'commercial' stands for Advertising & Promotion, Consumer Goods and Personal Use rolled into one, you should be applying the same logic on upload as you did before for your images.

I posted an image because i have been asked by people at events i cover if they can get personal prints, if i mark images as editorial only am i correct in thinking there will not be a personal print option available from Alamy anymore? 

Edited by Lynchpics

I think we ( photographers) are making this more complex than it actually is.

The posts from Alamy are very clear to me, and are not asking us to do anything different to what we currently do.

I would suggest that questions regarding whether property or people releases are required, are no different now to what they have always been.

Edited by Foreign Export
spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lynchpics said:

I posted an image because i have been asked by people at events i cover if they can get personal prints, if i mark images as editorial only am i correct in thinking there will not be a personal print option available from Alamy anymore? 

I believe that is all just covered under 'commercial' now

7 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I believe that is all just covered under 'commercial' now

Yeah, so i will now mark some images as being commercial, with no property or people releases just to allow that personal print option. 

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I definitely think that people are over-thinking this......

Yeah 100% agree, the only thing that has really changed is the fact that if you have an 'editorial only' image you will no longer have the option for customers to buy a personal print.  

Have they explained why they don't offer the Print option for Editorial images? They've been available for Personal Use unless the contributor opts out of that. I think getting rid of Personal Use is a good thing, as is the Print option though I'm waiting to see the prices and sizes.

I'm wondering how we will be paid for prints, unlike direct downloads there will be a cost to deduct. I mean we will be paid won't we.....

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

It would be strange if AIM isn't updated, otherwise there will still be restriction boxes we can tick that will no longer work. But then we've had those category selection dropdown menus that make little sense for ages too. Maybe they can fix the discoverability bar at the same time...

Mark

Rechecking I see the original blog says

"When we introduce the changes, they will also be reflected in the Alamy Image Manager where you will only be able to restrict your images under one of the two options: Editorial Only or All Uses (both editorial and commercial)."

So AIM is changing. Good.

Mark

Just now, M.Chapman said:

So AIM is changing. Good.

Well they were going to have to get rid of those options I suppose, whether they will enhance it remains to be seen. They're not talking about it.

10 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Have they explained why they don't offer the Print option for Editorial images? They've been available for Personal Use unless the contributor opts out of that. I think getting rid of Personal Use is a good thing, as is the Print option though I'm waiting to see the prices and sizes.

I'm wondering how we will be paid for prints, unlike direct downloads there will be a cost to deduct. I mean we will be paid won't we.....

We are already seeing Print on Demand licenses through third party sites.