Happy Earth Day.

The Red Rebels are seriously worried about the Earth. From the Funeral for Nature rally in Bath Saturday.

Lots of alamy contributors there as well.

2x26np7.jpg

2x26n8j.jpg

2x26hf9.jpg

2x26kea.jpg

Edited by Mr Standfast
  • Like 3

On 22/04/2024 at 23:13, Shergar said:

Yosemite Valley Sunrise May 2010.

2B7JXNR.jpg

Beautiful image Shergar. It would have been magical being there.

My belated Earth Day image is of the Boranup Forest in south-west Western Australia. Sadly this area was burnt out by fire shortly after this was taken in 2021. The southern part of this forest that wasn't burnt is looking very sick now as it struggles with a drying climate. We are experiencing a second ecological collapse here in south-west western Australia from 6 months of drought after one that occurred a decade ago that was apparently the first known ecological collapse in the world due to climate change. It's pretty confronting with vast areas of coastal heath, bushland and forest dying all around where I live and across the south-west region. https://www.uwa.edu.au/news/article/2024/april/the-big-dry-forests-and-shrublands-are-dying-in-parched-western-australia Plants and animals are doing their best to adapt but it is expected that wetter forests such as the karri forest in this photo will gradually be replaced by drier ecological systems in response to reduced rainfall. I have witnessed massive changes in the past 15 years. The state government has just launched a support package for farmers who are in a dire situation at the moment. I think the drastic nature of things can at least be a catalyst for change and there are many initiatives across different sectors, so I always try to think hopefully.

karri-trees-eucalyptus-diversicolor-with

• Like 2

Thanks Sally. It was one of those magical mornings that Yosemite is famous for. It hangs on my wall and I struggle daily with that branch in the top right. Over the years its been in and out many times and I still cant make a decision  lol.

Have a great day Sally 

Cheers and gone 

Shergar 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

When is Happy Edo Day? And will I be required to smile? 

You have to wait till your birthday.🤔 I think.

Allan

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2024 at 01:24, Betty LaRue said:

Late to the party but here’s mine. White mountains, New Hampshire, USA 

BFHF36.jpg

On 29/04/2024 at 02:00, Michael Ventura said:

I'm late too. Bryce Canyon, Utah...such a beautiful place.

the-colorful-rock-formations-called-hood

Hi Betty and Michael,

Your images along with Shergar's make me want to do a road trip in the United States. I sometimes make up imaginary itineraries for myself and a few years ago I was exploring images of Maine and New Hampshire. I was interested in the coastal landscapes and fishing towns of Maine and the mountains of New Hampshire. Just recently I've seen great work from a few photographers of those incredible landscapes in Utah and would love to go there too. I was recently looking at Andy Mumford's landscapes of that area from his recent trip there: https://www.andymumford.com/us-southwest. And Yosemite looks incredible too. Not sure if I will ever get there but we are so lucky with the stills and videos we can get of these places now so easily on the internet.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Hi Betty and Michael,

Your images along with Shergar's make me want to do a road trip in the United States. I sometimes make up imaginary itineraries for myself and a few years ago I was exploring images of Maine and New Hampshire. I was interested in the coastal landscapes and fishing towns of Maine and the mountains of New Hampshire. Just recently I've seen great work from a few photographers of those incredible landscapes in Utah and would love to go there too. I was recently looking at Andy Mumford's landscapes of that area from his recent trip there: https://www.andymumford.com/us-southwest. And Yosemite looks incredible too. Not sure if I will ever get there but we are so lucky with the stills and videos we can get of these places now so easily on the internet.

I agree, there are some beautiful places here. If you ever come, I would suggest late September into early October. Although with weather changes since then (2010) timing might have shifted. The hot places won’t be so hot & the mountains will have leaf color. Timing the peak autumn color is really hard. It can vary. I anguished & researched a lot over our east coast trip before we picked a leave date & were lucky. My sister & hubs, after seeing my photos, came the next year around the same time. The day their plane landed, there was a big storm that took most of the colorful leaves off the trees. They had a week of mostly nothing.

We spent 3 weeks at it in a RV using campgrounds, following the color change from Maine, upper New York State, And neighboring states.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Hi Betty and Michael,

The U.S. is a big beautiful country with a super diverse geography and landscapes.  I have tried to see a lot in my years but still so much that I haven't seen.  I hope you do get a chance to make a trip here and I agree with Betty about skipping the summer months.  Places are crowded and often too hot (at least for me...not a fan of excessive heat).

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 21:32, Betty LaRue said:

I agree, there are some beautiful places here. If you ever come, I would suggest late September into early October. Although with weather changes since then (2010) timing might have shifted. The hot places won’t be so hot & the mountains will have leaf color. Timing the peak autumn color is really hard. It can vary. I anguished & researched a lot over our east coast trip before we picked a leave date & were lucky. My sister & hubs, after seeing my photos, came the next year around the same time. The day their plane landed, there was a big storm that took most of the colorful leaves off the trees. They had a week of mostly nothing.

We spent 3 weeks at it in a RV using campgrounds, following the color change from Maine, upper New York State, And neighboring states.

On 30/04/2024 at 22:29, Michael Ventura said:

The U.S. is a big beautiful country with a super diverse geography and landscapes.  I have tried to see a lot in my years but still so much that I haven't seen.  I hope you do get a chance to make a trip here and I agree with Betty about skipping the summer months.  Places are crowded and often too hot (at least for me...not a fan of excessive heat).

Thanks Betty and Michael for the travel tips. I did actually go to a friend's wedding in Vancouver, Canada when I was 20 and we crossed the border for just one day but only got as far as Bellingham due to the weather not being good. So technically I have seen a very small part of the US in the Pacific North West. I don't know if I will ever get back to North America but I would love to visit the diverse landscapes you have there.

• Love 1