Who Vlogs?

geogphotos

Question

21 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

No me, but did you see that I found a photo of yours, last week, in the National Geographic History magazine?  And I think there was another one of yours found that day by someone else.  May have been Wednesday of last week.

Thanks Michael. Very grateful. I tend not to write 'thanks for finding' comments but am always grateful. 😁

So pleased that I am able to add National Geographic photographer to my obituary! 🙃

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Nope. But I understand it's even harder to make money with YouTube than with stock photography

If I had ever made decisions based on money I wouldn't be where I am today. 😁

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks Michael. Very grateful. I tend not to write 'thanks for finding' comments but am always grateful. 😁

So pleased that I am able to add National Geographic photographer to my obituary! 🙃

Just wanted to make sure you saw it.  It ran quite large in the magazine!

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

If I had ever made decisions based on money I wouldn't be where I am today. 😁

😁

In that case, I wish you the best of luck! You should be able to vlog with most cameras, as long as you're not trying to do really long single takes.

36 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

The cameras that they actually advertise for Vlogging have screens that swivel round to face the front, there must be other ways though, a separate monitor perhaps. Do remember to say '"Hi guys" at the start though.

I intend to create a new genre..........

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I've made a number of YouTube videos with a 5D2. I guess the 5D is not dissimilar? As Steve says, don't film long takes. Shooting in HD the 5D2 has a maximum of 12 mins per take before it stops filming. Also if I do a sustained period of filming without breaks between takes the camera overheats and shuts down. As long as you take heed of this it's a great camera for filming. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector for editing. I've always found it more user-friendly and better suited to the work I do than Adobe Premiere.

Get yourself a good external microphone and recorder. You don't have to pay a fortune for one that's perfectly adequate for vlogging and it's vastly better than the onboard mic in the camera. I've got more sound gear than I need because I made a feature film, but for vlogging something like my Tascam DR40 recorder would be ideal. It has built-in stereo mics but you can also plug in a cheap lapel mic for really good voice recording.

Alan

Lightworks is a free editing program with the limitation of 720p export in the free version, which is still technically HD. It may have a steeper learning curve than others, but I find it very flexible and not at all CPU-intensive.

I vlog on YouTube and it has been very rewarding both creativity and financially I use a GoPro Hero 7 Black for walk and talk vlogs with an external mini shotgun mic, film in in 4K 29.97 and for home based videos I use a Canon RP with a 30mm f1.8 lens for shallow depth of field. The Canon films 4K at 23.98 and has a punch in compared to HD which gives a wider field. A Canon 5D was before video, that was the big upgrade for the Canon 5D MKll, you really don't need 4K I use it for future proofing HD 1080 would be the smallest I would recommend. Even a mobile phone a modern one will do fine, the critical thing I have found is audio and spending money on a good external mic set up, people will watch sub quality visuals but wont tolerate excessive wind noise or low volume.

Depending on your goals if it is financial be prepared for a long journey. Oh and I have created an audience for this 68 year old T**T

Hi,

Never too late to start, in fact I started just 3 months ago and talking about stock/microstock/bookcovers/AI to support my blog.

I have zero expectations that I'll be able to obtain enough subscribers/view hours to be able to monetize, if it does ever happen I don't think it will earn me much.

My gear is quite basic, influencer light, Rode Microphone atop a Panasonic Lumix. I can do better to upgrade but no point as see point below. I'm exporting in HD.

Oh and I'm editing with a free version of Da Vinci Resolve. 

Good luck if you do get started, it's never too late!

• Love 1

I keep saying my blog but it’s joint vlog  with my Wife and our $ has far surpassed stock photo and video many times over YouTube is potentially unlimited $$$

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I keep saying my blog but it’s joint vlog  with my Wife and our $ has far surpassed stock photo and video many times over YouTube is potentially unlimited $$$

I thought it was like a black hole you had to keep feeding? If you don't do regular uploads, then the algorithm drops you down so you appear less in people's feeds and you lose subscribers.

But come on, don't be coy, what's your handle? :)

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

I thought it was like a black hole you had to keep feeding? If you don't do regular uploads, then the algorithm drops you down so you appear less in people's feeds and you lose subscribers.

But come on, don't be coy, what's your handle? :)

Youtube will take as much time as you have, but if you create a system one upload a week is possible and still have a life to do stock photography for Alamy, I didn’t put a clickable link for various reasons but if you wish to search our channel is called “This Is Our Retirement” on YouTube.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Normspics said:

Youtube will take as much time as you have, but if you create a system one upload a week is possible and still have a life to do stock photography for Alamy, I didn’t put a clickable link for various reasons but if you wish to search our channel is called “This Is Our Retirement” on YouTube.

Congrats, you have a fairly large following, I 'know' a celebrity 😁

Guess there's a lot of expats in Portugal, or people that would like to be there!