Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Digital Camera

Alexander Hogg

Question

Thinking about getting this Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Digital Camera next year and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about it and I'm quite sure it would pass QC no problem 

Like others that has asked for advice on specific cameras it would save taking a DSLR out

Any info would be great Thanks in advance

Alex

29 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

Thinking about getting this Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Digital Camera next year and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about it and I'm quite sure it would pass QC no problem 

Like others that has asked for advice on specific cameras it would save taking a DSLR out

Alex

According to DP Review the Sony RX100 V is a better bet. Go for the mk VII with longer focal reach.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-iii-review

Allan

• Like 1

My latest images in my portfolio are from the Sony RX100V (M5), I will give it a vote as being very good discrete and portable. It's also good for video as it has a built in neutral density filter to hold back the shutter speed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Normspics said:

My latest images in my portfolio are from the Sony RX100V (M5), I will give it a vote as being very good discrete and portable. It's also good for video as it has a built in neutral density filter to hold back the shutter speed.

Thanks taking a quick look 

22 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

Thanks taking a quick look 

The only thing I find is the Sony colour science, I find the blues a little green, so a very blue sky I will do a slight hue adjustment adding a small amount of magenta. Canon on the other hand I have the Canon RP and it's colour for blue sky is better, but not as portable!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Normspics said:

The only thing I find is the Sony colour science, I find the blues a little green, so a very blue sky I will do a slight hue adjustment adding a small amount of magenta. Canon on the other hand I have the Canon RP and it's colour for blue sky is better, but not as portable!

I have never encountered that "problem" with my mk7. Or my mk3.

Allan

59 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Are you still using jpegs? "A bit cyan" is something I recall getting when trying to manipulate skies on jpeg originals.

No always raw, I use colour mixer in camera raw to move the blue slider +15 or 17 towards magenta and that produces a nice neutral blue sky.

Edited by Normspics
  • Like 1

On an unrelated note, in the 80s & early 90s I had a Canon Sureshot film camera. I loved that camera and won a few photo contests with it. It was a P&S, anyway the way I used it. I can’t remember if I could change the settings because ever single picture was pretty much perfect on its own. Actually had two, the second zoomed a bit I think. Been so long…..

Not wishing to go against opinions here but the OP is asking about a Canon Powershot model. People are trying to sway him towards an alternative - I use a Sony RX100 and rate it highly - but the camera the OP is interested in is a small DSLR style and has a viewfinder. Sony RX100 cameras don’t. This may prove an important feature for the OP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Holland said:

Not wishing to go against opinions here but the OP is asking about a Canon Powershot model. People are trying to sway him towards an alternative - I use a Sony RX100 and rate it highly - but the camera the OP is interested in is a small DSLR style and has a viewfinder. Sony RX100 cameras don’t. This may prove an important feature for the OP.

Saw a review on YouTube and they didn't rate it highly at all for the money They also mentioned the same camera as Alan Bell mentioned 

Will consider an alternative and then make up my mind next year

I see that in the 2017 DPReview test of that camera they say that "There are smaller cameras, such as the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V, which offer comparable image quality in a wide range of situations." That Sony RX100 series has won many plaudits from users on this forum so I suspect that the fact that the Sony only has a 1" sensor as opposed to the APS-C sensor on the Powershot is out-weighed by the fact that you don't even have to think about taking the Sony out with you and nobody takes any notice of you. Personally I do like a viewfinder though (some of those RX100s have one don't they, a tiny pop-up affair?). A Fuji X-T2 or X-E3 with their excellent 'kit' lens, the (soon to be discontinued) 18-55MM f4/5.6 zoom is a good walkaround camera in my book though it doesn't go as wide or as long as those Sony's, at least you can change the lens though. I wouldn't feel comfortable using that in shops and shopping centres though, perhaps that's just me.

8 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I see that in the 2017 DPReview test of that camera they say that "There are smaller cameras, such as the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V, which offer comparable image quality in a wide range of situations." That Sony RX100 series has won many plaudits from users on this forum so I suspect that the fact that the Sony only has a 1" sensor as opposed to the APS-C sensor on the Powershot is out-weighed by the fact that you don't even have to think about taking the Sony out with you and nobody takes any notice of you. Personally I do like a viewfinder though (some of those RX100s have one don't they, a tiny pop-up affair?). A Fuji X-T2 or X-E3 with their excellent 'kit' lens, the (soon to be discontinued) 18-55MM f4/5.6 zoom is a good walkaround camera in my book though it doesn't go as wide or as long as those Sony's, at least you can change the lens though. I wouldn't feel comfortable using that in shops and shopping centres though, perhaps that's just me.

Thanks Harry Totally agree I'll be going to a local camera shop next week to have a look at the Sony RX100 V I'm the same don't like using in shops or shopping centres 

27 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

hanks Harry Totally agree I'll be going to a local camera shop next week to have a look at the Sony RX100 V I'm the same don't like using in shops or shopping centres 

I did pick one up at a show once but I just thought that it would be slipping through my fingers, that one did have a viewfinder which seemed a little on the flimsy side. You can fit them with various proprietary grips though.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ric Holland said:

It's certainly important for me. I tried an RX100 several years ago, partly because of the fanmail on this forum, but I just couldn't get on with the lack of viewfinder. That's why I got the NEX6 and have been very happy with it. It may be bigger but it's light and slips in a pocket.

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 13/12/2023 at 17:27, Alexander Hogg said:

Alex

It looks a bit bigger that the equivalent Sony RX100 models so not such a space save compared with your existing DSLR?

I still use a Sony RX100 and have no issues with QC on Alamy and it slips into my pocket/bag quite unobtrusively.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-iii-digital-camera-1642140/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

From and including the Sony RX100m3 up to the m7 all have popup viewfinders.

Allan

Yes you are right Allan, I managed to break the viewfinder on my M3 by pulling the viewfinder out towards the eye too hard. Lesson learned my M5 viewfinder still functions well. 

My theory on this little camera Sony RX100V is it looks like a tourist camera, so I play on that and just hold the camera at arms length and become instantly invisible! Old man with small camera 😂 The other advantage to not using the viewfinder I can keep my glasses on.

• Like 1

If a viewfinder is important to you, then you'll prefer the Canon. Although there is a viewfinder on many of the RX100s, thay are tiny and fiddly, they have to be pulled up to use them and there's no eyecup to exclude ambient light. I have an RX100 mk 3, but rarely use the viewfinder as I prefer to use the rear LCD which is pretty good and can be tilted up and down. The IQ from the RX100 Is amazing for such a small camera, but I don't enjoy using it as much as a DSLR with a decent viewfinder.

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Normspics said:

Yes you are right Allan, I managed to break the viewfinder on my M3 by pulling the viewfinder out towards the eye too hard. Lesson learned my M5 viewfinder still functions well. 

My theory on this little camera Sony RX100V is it looks like a tourist camera, so I play on that and just hold the camera at arms length and become instantly invisible! Old man with small camera 😂 The other advantage to not using the viewfinder I can keep my glasses on.

Yes I have to wear glasses (specs) as well but still tend to use the viewfinder more than the rear screen.  I have used it on occasion when I wanted to take photo with people/person in it and flipped the screen out as though I was inspecting what I had already taken.

Allan

3 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

If a viewfinder is important to you, then you'll prefer the Canon. Although there is a viewfinder on many of the RX100s, thay are tiny and fiddly, they have to be pulled up to use them and there's no eyecup to exclude ambient light. I have an RX100 mk 3, but rarely use the viewfinder as I prefer to use the rear LCD which is pretty good and can be tilted up and down. The IQ from the RX100 Is amazing for such a small camera, but I don't enjoy using it as much as a DSLR with a decent viewfinder.

Mark

The mk7's viewfinder pops up and ready to go when you press a little lever/switch on the side. No need to pull anything out.  When you want to close just press it down into the body of the camera.

Allan

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

I do find it easier using a viewfinder as I'm usually a lot steadier with that Using the lcd display on the odd occasion I do find there is a little shake(out of focus) shots but with a small camera shouldn't be an issue