Monitor light bar

Sharon

Question

8 answers to this question

That is an absolute NONO for image processing as it would completely distort your perception of colour on the monitor. I see you do a lot of flower photography where colour accuracy is critical so that's a massive NONO. 

32 minutes ago, MDM said:

That is an absolute NONO for image processing as it would completely distort your perception of colour on the monitor. I see you do a lot of flower photography where colour accuracy is critical so that's a massive NONO. 

Yes, I've always cut down on ambient lighting, while processing pix. Adding extra lighting would, IMO, make things worse, not better...

I see that they claim not to cause glare on the screen, so if that's right they might do something for you if you can avoid reflections from the desktop.

I have a rather unsatisfactory anglepoise light that likes to reflect off the screen, so if you're trying to solve that sort of problem it might serve. There seem to be plenty of reviews on Youtube.

That said I only tend to edit in daylight so I don't need any extra light. I don't think I have any particular problems with colour rendering, but then I wouldn't, would I?😉

Edited by spacecadet

I use a small Ikea led clamp spot aimed down at my keyboard. It clamps somewhere above my monitors. To mask out light spill I use a piece of blackwrap cinefoil around it, but cardboard would work also: it doesn't get hot. No light hits the screen and only a small, like centimeter wide, area around my keyboard is lit.

I used to have two daylight desk lamps on either side of my desk. They were sort of anglepoise, but also Ikea. In the US I had Solux lights in them. Back home I initially had some expensive local daylight (Philips?) PL lights, but went with leds as soon as these became available in decent color temperatures. In the end I now have a very generic led bulb of unknown CRI and color temperature. Because It doesn't matter at all, as long as you only light a small spot and not the whole room with it and don't have to match your screen with prints or the other way around. (I do have a color proof viewing booth for that anyway.)

wim

19 hours ago, Sharon said:

Thank you all for your responses.  I`m going to mull it over for the next little while and do some research.

I have a fluorescent angle poise style light over my screen which is set back behind the front of the screen and about 2" to 3" above.  No light spills on to the screen but is forward enough to shed light on the desk/worktop/keyboard in front of the screen. It also lights the wall behind the screen which helps to prevent eyestrain.

I am using it at the moment with the main office lighting switched off.

I have used this system for years and had no problems to date.

Allan

• Like 1

On 08/12/2023 at 08:42, wiskerke said:

I use a small Ikea led clamp spot aimed down at my keyboard. It clamps somewhere above my monitors. To mask out light spill I use a piece of blackwrap cinefoil around it, but cardboard would work also: it doesn't get hot. No light hits the screen and only a small, like centimeter wide, area around my keyboard is lit.

I used to have two daylight desk lamps on either side of my desk. They were sort of anglepoise, but also Ikea. In the US I had Solux lights in them. Back home I initially had some expensive local daylight (Philips?) PL lights, but went with leds as soon as these became available in decent color temperatures. In the end I now have a very generic led bulb of unknown CRI and color temperature. Because It doesn't matter at all, as long as you only light a small spot and not the whole room with it and don't have to match your screen with prints or the other way around. (I do have a color proof viewing booth for that anyway.)

wim

I use something very similar.  A small gooseneck light that is fairly low wattage.  It points at my keyboard.

• Like 1