Elliott Erwitt R.I.P.

Rico

“It's about reacting to what you see, hopefully without preconception. You can find pictures anywhere. It's simply a matter of noticing things and organizing them. You just have to care about what's around you and have a concern with humanity and the human comedy." - Elliott Erwitt.
A new video on his work. No talk, just photos. 

A nice way to spend 5 minutes.

THE MASTERS OF STREET PHOTOGRAPHY EPISODE 90 ELLIOTT ERWITT - IN MEMORIAM RIP 1928-2023 - YouTube

• Love 1

A short 10 minute film from 2013 interviewing him in his New York apartment overlooking Central Park and links to more articles and pictures at the bottom of the page. Always so modest and self-effacing but he must surely have been very tough when he needed to be, that comes through when he speaks about his campaign for photographers to keep their copyright whilst he was first president of Magnum in the late sixties (he was president of Magnum 3 times). An extraordinary talent.

https://loeildelaphotographie.com/en/elliott-erwitt-1928-2023-at-home-with-elliott-erwitt/?utm_source=Liste+ODLP+nouvelle+version&utm_campaign=bf1d905af7-Edition+of+December+1st+2023&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-9b9e540ff8-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]&ct=t(Newsletter+EN+1122023)

"The good thing about dogs is that they're everywhere, they're usually sympathetic, they don't complain, and they don't ask for prints"

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1

Sad news. Coincidentally, I recently came across a quote by Elliot Erwitt that I really like. It could apply to all types of photography:

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place."

• Love 1

Magnum takes a look at the contact sheet for his famous picture of a bulldog on a New York City stoop, interesting that he simply stops shooting at frame 23, the one we all know:

https://www.magnumphotos.com/theory-and-practice/elliot-erwitt-bulldog-contact-sheet-print/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial

Apparently he always used film for his personal pictures, he was absolutely fine for digital with his commercial work.

Currently in the UK a 36 exp. roll of Tri-X is around £15, assuming you don't have a darkroom a few places will add a traditional contact print for around £10. That's a serious commitment for most people I imagine, it would be for me. I do miss contact prints though, so interesting to see them.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Magnum takes a look at the contact sheet for his famous picture of a bulldog on a New York City stoop, interesting that he simply stops shooting at frame 23, the one we all know:

Sometimes you just know when you got "the shot".

He was a master for sure!!

• Love 1