Advice

I put this up on a different site and had a comment saying (Over exposed, noisy and out of focus 1/10) Just wondered what others thought 

before I reply back with an answer and will be doing a re-edit before submitting to Alamy 

Sat laughing at the comment Would like your opinions please

https://ibb.co/vvvft0b

Edited by Alexander Hogg
missed a letter

15 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

I put this up on a different site and had a comment saying (Over exposed, noisy and out of focus 1/10) Just wondered what others thought 

before I reply back with an answer and will be doing a re-edit before submitting to Alamy 

Sat laughing at the comment Would like your opinions please

https://ibb.co/vvvft0b

was it shot handheld or with a tripod? And what ISO did you use?

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Looks sharp at that size, but am I seeing a halo around the conical tower to the right ?

I am going to be re-editing the image and can bring the brightness down a bit It on the right hand side of the tower 

Alex, I like the scene a lot. This is not my forte. But here goes.

The image seems to be in focus. However, it looks quite blocky / smudged when you look close up, almost like it's a noisy image - which doesn't make sense to me as it was shot at ISO 200. Possibly due to being at the far end of a telephoto lens....?

Highlights on the dome are possibly blown?

Looks quite flat, there's not much shadows. Low contrast and no clarity added I guess? Could also increase the shadows in Lightroom.

Edited by Steve F
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Reimar said:

The halo's indicate severe over-sharpening.  Is this a 100% crop?

No about 80% cropped I try and not sharpen too much I usually only use sharpen and one other I cannot remember the name off by heart at the moment 

Edited by Alexander Hogg

3 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

No about 80% cropped I try and not sharpen too much I usually only use sharpen and one other I cannot remember the name off by heart at the moment 

I don't sharpen other than just using the sharpen default in Lightroom when I'm exporting as a JPEG.

• Thanks 1

Definitely looks over sharpened to me.  And yes, bring back some of the shadows so the image doesn't look so flat.

I will use Topaz Sharpen AI for some images, and it does a great job. Not sure you want to buy software though.

Also, did you use sky replacement?  That may be cause of the halos.  And the highlights are blown out on the dome.  See if you can bring them back.

Jill

15 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Definitely looks over sharpened to me.  And yes, bring back some of the shadows so the image doesn't look so flat.

I will use Topaz Sharpen AI for some images, and it does a great job. Not sure you want to buy software though.

Also, did you use sky replacement?  That may be cause of the halos.  And the highlights are blown out on the dome.  See if you can bring them back.

Jill

No I didn't use sky replacement Topaze was something I was thinking of purchasing after reading about it on the forum Thanks

3 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

No I didn't use sky replacement Topaze was something I was thinking of purchasing after reading about it on the forum Thanks

Topaz seems like overkill for the type of stock photography you and I are doing. LR should be more than enough. 

• Thanks 1

Surprising nobody has mentioned the very strong blue colour cast. Are you shooting raw? If not, you should as you have much more control over the colour in post as well as several other parameters. It does look strangely blocky and oversharpened but impossible to say without seeing a full size original. Maybe I am missing something but I can't see any way to download the full size image on that site and it is essential to see the full size image to make an informed assessment.

I suggest you upload the original to Dropbox which is free and allows raw uploads. You can upload the raw (if it exists) and the processed version. 

You should not need Topaz or any other sharpener beyond default LR or similar unless your technique and/or equipment is not sufficient for a decent sharp image. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Just now, Steve F said:

I thought it, but wanted to just mention the major problems... 🙈

I would consider a cast that strong to be a major problem. 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

I would consider a cast that strong to be a major problem. 🤣

True enough. I didn't want to put Alex off though. I already offered extra critique and he didn't bite 😆

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MDM said:

Surprising nobody has mentioned the very strong blue colour cast. Are you shooting raw? If not, you should as you have much more control over the colour in post as well as several other parameters. It does look strangely blocky and oversharpened but impossible to say without seeing a full size original. Maybe I am missing something but I can't see any way to download the full size image on that site and it is essential to see the full size image to make an informed assessment.

I suggest you upload the original to Dropbox which is free and allows raw uploads. You can upload the raw (if it exists) and the processed version. 

You should not need Topaz or any other sharpener beyond default LR or similar unless your technique and/or equipment is not sufficient for a decent sharp image. 

I do shoot in Raw Bought a Canon EOS R6 mark 2 and used a RF 24-70mm lens Only got it on the 2nd March this year Maybe one of the other settings I used wasn't correct Still have the raw file 

14 minutes ago, Steve F said:

True enough. I didn't want to put Alex off though. I already offered extra critique and he didn't bite 😆

Sorry Steve I listen but don't always comment as I do understand 90% of the time of what is being said