Railway station identity question

geogphotos

• geogphotos changed the title to Railway station identity question
Just now, StokeCreative said:

I'm wondering if its on the continent, the vehicles look German like a Hanomag or Wiking (yes those well known brands!)

Not sure the grill shape is right though. Otherwise the lovechild of a VW camper and a Commer :)

+ I think that Belgian railways "B"?

• Love 1

2 hours ago, StokeCreative said:

+ I think that Belgian railways "B"?

Belgian Railways "B" looks a good spot...    see also J1WY20 or D38BJY

These people might be able to help for the location...

https://www.trainworld.be/en/contact

Hanomag sounds like a good suggestion also, see...

https://www.favcars.com/pictures-hanomag-markant-pritschenwagen-1960-67-22434.htm

GD

Edited by Gorilla Dave
  • Love 1

Terrible quality. Film was Agrachrome and the guy took loads of pics all around the world but must have had a crap camera.

I assumed that this one is UK but have no actual basis for that. It looks like a C19th railway station.

This at least shows the shape of the front grill that may mean something.

I0000UMImm8FhYOc.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

This Tempo Matador E looks quite similar:

https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Tempo-Matador-E-Pritsche.jpg

They're just the cabs aren't they? So perhaps in the country of origin, which is Germany I think. Station does have that Victorian Neo-Gothic look though but not any of the London ones as far as I can tell.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1

SNCB still use  the "B" logo. So deffo Belgian railways.

"The corporate logo designed in 1936 by Henry van de Velde consists of the linguistically neutral letter B in a horizontal oval. Wikipedia"

Rather similar style to Amsterdam Centraal, but the exterior so that's approximately zero help.

There's a hanging sign above the van at far right- is it legible?

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Aggrochrome!

I0000UWH4yxFhu4A.jpg

Thanks everybody for looking and trying to help.

This image is not on Alamy. I only posted here on the off-chance that it might show something of interest that somebody might spot. 

Edited by geogphotos

aka Flatbed pickup. Yours could be destined to have any sort of body built on to them, they don't even seem to have tyres. Actually I remember as a child passenger in my parents' car being quite excited to see bare shells like this being driven around, between factory departments I suppose, they were a little more complete though.

1 hour ago, Tony ALS said:

No problem Ian.

Too many railway stations look similar (to me at least) so can't help you there! 

I have also been looking at railway stations ( without any success) but at least I now have enough to write a caption - in any case its probably the vehicles rather than the railway station that would be of interest ie) that they are being transported by train.

I read that the factory was in Hamburg but the station there doesn't look like this. It could be anywhere in Europe I suppose.

Thanks again. 

The station looks a lot like a Dutch train station by the architect Margadant, who designed quite a few around 1900. It may well be Den Haag Holland Spoor or HS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_Haag_HS_railway_station

The roof structure is 19th century. We have a couple left in the country. Because the structure is quite distinctive and pretty large it can only be situated on a major line that had big stations in the 19th century and still existed in the late fifties / early sixties. Which rules out Rotterdam. So Amsterdam; Haarlem; Den Haag HS. It's not Amsterdam or Haarlem. I was born in Amsterdam and live in Haarlem. 😁 Besides Amsterdam has a different architect. Haarlem is by Margadant, but 20 years later with both Disney castle appearance but with Jugendstil and Deco details. Den Haag HS is firmly end of the 19th century style.

Aha here we go:

View from the platform. The Royal waiting room is on the right. It's just visible in your image.

View from the opposite platform. And one straight on.

The Tempo Matador-E first came on the market in 1963. The Hanomag and Tempo are the same car from 2 different factories within a joint venture. Both were coach builders. Part of the interesting history of German car making. Anyway it places your image in 1963 or later.

wim

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

The station looks a lot like a Dutch train station by the architect Margadant, who designed quite a few around 1900. It may well be Den Haag Holland Spoor or HS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_Haag_HS_railway_station

The roof structure is 19th century. We have a couple left in the country. Because the structure is quite distinctive and pretty large it can only be situated on a major line that had big stations in the 19th century and still existed in the late fifties / early sixties. Which rules out Rotterdam. So Amsterdam; Haarlem; Den Haag HS. It's not Amsterdam or Haarlem. I was born in Amsterdam and live in Haarlem. 😁 Besides Amsterdam has a different architect. Haarlem is by Margadant, but 20 years later with both Disney castle appearance but with Jugendstil and Deco details. Den Haag HS is firmly end of the 19th century style.

Aha here we go:

View from the platform. The Royal waiting room is on the right. It's just visible in your image.

View from the opposite platform. And one straight on.

The Tempo Matador-E first came on the market in 1963. The Hanomag and Tempo are the same car from 2 different factories within a joint venture. Both were coach builders. Part of the interesting history of German car making. Anyway it places your image in 1963 or later.

wim

Brilliant! I thought that it looked a like a hotel, offices or similar.

Den Haag station it is. Well done Wim and many thanks to you and everybody for helping 😁

Edited by geogphotos