$0.16 cent sales, yes that's correct

This week I was surprised to see two sales for $0.16, that's $0.08 for me. Impressive! And that's for RM photos, editorial use!

I sent an e-mail questioning these ridiculous amounts and the response I got was that "The stock industry has become very competitive and in order to keep customers we have to consider our pricing and offer image pack..."

I hope Alamy hasn't entered the microstock category, otherwise I'll be jumping off this ship. Anyone else with tiny sale prices like this recently? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Octavio Campos Salles said:

This week I was surprised to see two sales for $0.16, that's $0.08 for me. Impressive! And that's for RM photos, editorial use!

I sent an e-mail questioning these ridiculous amounts and the response I got was that "The stock industry has become very competitive and in order to keep customers we have to consider our pricing and offer image pack..."

I hope Alamy hasn't entered the microstock category, otherwise I'll be jumping off this ship. Anyone else with tiny sale prices like this recently? 

I have had a couple this year that are this ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, Octavio Campos Salles said:

What do you mean? Isn't that the max comission Alamy pays under the Platinum contract and content exclusive to Alamy?

Alamy Commission Table

Alamy Commission models, rates, fees and payment Current models
Alamy Platinum* Alamy Gold Alamy Silver
Alamy Commission You earn Alamy Commission You earn Alamy Commission You earn
For Content sales via Alamy Websites 50% 50% 60% 40% 80% 20%
For Content sales via our Distributors after deduction of Distributor fee or commission 60% 40% 60% 40% 80% 20%
For Novel Use Content sales 60% 40% 60% 40% 80% 20%
For Content sales via an Affiliate 57.5% 42.5% 66% 34% 83% 17%

the threshold for Platinum is $25000 annually

12.14 If you are not an Agency Contributor and your total License Fees for Content sales via the Alamy Websites in any one Revenue Year (starting 1 July 2020), net of any refunds, are greater than or equal to $25,000 then the Alamy Commission for the following Revenue Year for Content that is Exclusive to Alamy will automatically switch to Alamy Platinum as outlined in the Alamy Commission Table.

38 minutes ago, MandyD said:

I have had a couple this year that are this ridiculous. 

No denying $0.16 gross is an insult to the contributor’s effort. Luckily so far I’ve avoided them, lowest earlier this year was around a $. Far better this month.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Totally impressed you met Platinum level.  Well done. 

No, I did not... I got confused a bit because first you said "how did I get ONLY 50% comission"... which made me question how is anyone making anything over that.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Betty. You have a fabulous portfolio. The capybara with a cowbird on its head made me smile. I took a photography trip to the Pantanal and I wasn't expecting to take many photos of the capybaras because they are so plain. But I rather fell in love with them. I got a kick out of seeing them on the banks of the river, watching us go by. The Pantanal is so magical. You have magnificent jaguar pics. I was with a small group and I seemed to be the one that saw the fewest jaguars. I did see some though and got my images.

Paulette

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

I agree with Betty. You have a fabulous portfolio. The capybara with a cowbird on its head made me smile. I took a photography trip to the Pantanal and I wasn't expecting to take many photos of the capybaras because they are so plain. But I rather fell in love with them. I got a kick out of seeing them on the banks of the river, watching us go by. The Pantanal is so magical. You have magnificent jaguar pics. I was with a small group and I seemed to be the one that saw the fewest jaguars. I did see some though and got my images.

Paulette

Thank you! Yes the Pantanal is truly magical and so rich. If you ever consider returning there please consider our tour services: www.pantanalphototours.com 

I'm afraid my photo touring days are over but I really enjoyed your website. Wonderful videos. I shall return to look again. I did all my trips with Joe VanOs' company. Looks like you are definitely beating their price to the Pantanal. My best sellers have been from Svalbard. The global warming people love images of polar bears. They were looking good where we were but I must admit I tried to get some images where they looked in trouble. Somewhat dishonest, I suppose. They are the ones that sell most often. You see what you look for.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NYCat said:

They were looking good where we were but I must admit I tried to get some images where they looked in trouble. Somewhat dishonest, I suppose. They are the ones that sell most often. You see what you look for.

Paulette

interesting discussion, is it really dishonest to give clients what they are looking for, and something i struggle with.  i look at all the bird photographers who set up their perches, bait with mealworms to create what the market is looking for, is that dishonest?  I have a decent seller with a head shot of an african wild dog baring teeth looking menacing, is it dishonest that he is actually standing on tarmac (Kruger NP) and  was just yawning?  

This seems like the place to ask... I am obviously new

On Friday I was notified of my first sale, for $1.  I have a balance of 0.46 forward.

How did my photo sell for a dollar if the cheapest version of it listed is $19.99

On 29/04/2022 at 14:17, Octavio Campos Salles said:

When I asked, Alamy did explain why images are selling for less than it costs to produce a jelly bean, but it made only economic sense to Alamy.

I keep toying with the idea of shooting stock seriously again, see sales of $ 1.49 or $ 2.52 and then think not worth it.

Alamy is doing zilch to help the photographers on whose side it claims to be (sadly, not reflected by sales, nor litigating against copyright infringers, in my case, Daily Mail, not a graphic designer with an iPad and wifi working from home!).

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2022 at 14:17, Octavio Campos Salles said:

I am sure I am not the only one that has received less than $0.16 - consider yourself very lucky to receive such a huge amount.