image details page, "Date Taken" has been changed now?

in the image details page:

IMAGE DETAILS

Contributor: 

File size: 

Releases:
Dimensions:
Date taken:  it appears they are pulling the date from the image metadata which would be your most recent image edit, not the date you input in the AIM if you want a corrected date listed.

7 hours ago, sooth said:

Date taken:  it appears they are pulling the date from the image metadata which would be your most recent image edit,

If it is present then the uploader should be taking the date from the 'Date created' metadata rather than 'Date modified' as you seem to be experiencing. Are you able to check the metadata in your uploaded images, sometimes software can replace one with the other.

Edited by Harry Harrison

It would appear to be the case ... I have just checked on some of my images copied from original negatives where in image manager I usually delete the copying date out and leave it blank ... they are now showing the date the negs were copied ... hopeless !!

2 minutes ago, Martyn said:

It would appear to be the case ... I have just checked on some of my images copied from original negatives where in image manager I usually delete the copying date out and leave it blank ... they are now showing the date the negs were copied ... hopeless !!

Isn't it possible to change the date in the IPTC section in Lightroom/Bridge/Photoshop?

I've never tried this.

1 minute ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Isn't it possible to change the date in the IPTC section in Lightroom/Bridge/Photoshop?

I've never tried this.

Possibly, I have never tried ... I usually just make the date taken box blank and put the date in the caption ...

I've just had a look at mine, I have one image waiting to be keywords and when I click on the date in the images to be keyworded it shows 21/4/21 - I think it used to be possible to change the date when keyboarding  - or could be I've got the wrong end of the stick altogether 😁

Carol

6 hours ago, Martyn said:

If you are scanning chromes or negs the IPTC date will show the scanning date. If you are scanning a batch all shot on the same day, simply change the computer date to the day the images were shot before scanning. With DSLR images the date the images were shot would be embedded in the IPTC, and if edited later that date only shows in the file data.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

If it is present then the uploader should be taking the date from the 'Date created' metadata rather than 'Date modified' as you seem to be experiencing. Are you able to check the metadata in your uploaded images, sometimes software can replace one with the other.

I usually take a photo into photoshop, add keywords to IPTC description and IPTC keywords, and save it from there, i don't mess with any other iptc settings not even the iptc date; photoshop saves the image with its own new date created and date modified. while editing the optional fields in AIM I usually select multiple images and fix the month and year on it (no day).   maybe I have to add IPTC date created now, or maybe i should just not do anything different as nothing broke on my end and seeing a different date on the image details in theend is not a big deal. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by sooth

11 hours ago, sooth said:

while editing the optional fields in AIM I usually select multiple images and fix the month and year on it (no day).   maybe I have to add IPTC date created now, or maybe i should just not do anything different as nothing broke on my end and seeing a different date on the image details in theend is not a big deal. 🤷‍♂️

ISTR that it might be necessary to set the day too, otherwise AIM doesn't save the date correctly and the system reverts to using the unaltered date instead.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

11 hours ago, sooth said:

I usually take a photo into photoshop, add keywords to IPTC description and IPTC keywords, and save it from there, i don't mess with any other iptc settings not even the iptc date; photoshop saves the image with its own new date created and date modified. while editing the optional fields in AIM I usually select multiple images and fix the month and year on it (no day).   maybe I have to add IPTC date created now, or maybe i should just not do anything different as nothing broke on my end and seeing a different date on the image details in theend is not a big deal.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought that the wrong date, the 'Date modified' appeared to be sucked in from the metadata rather than 'Date created' which wouldn't have changed after the image had been edited. I can see now that the problem you've described is that the approximate date you have entered in AIM is being ignored in favour of the 'Date created' of your digital camera scan so that might be a new thing I suppose. There are many pre-digital images on Alamy that have a recent date from the camera or scanner that was used to digitise them, they are certainly easy to find. I did a search for "miner's strike' for example and the first few B&W I looked at under 'New' search results all had the scan date displayed as 'Date taken'. On the other hand this isn't always the case, this one for example just has '1984'. So if Mark is right and you have to enter an actual date then something must have changed, perhaps with the new AIM.

Logically none of us probably know the exact date we took 'legacy' images unless it is a historic event, so it seems appropriate to be able to enter just the year. I agree that is is important to leave something in caption or keywords so it is searchable though. Precise recent dates from the metadata in camera scans definitely look wrong displayed as 'Date taken'.

Edit:

Just thinking aloud, is there a difference with how the 'Date taken' is handled if images are uploaded through the archive route?

Edited by Harry Harrison

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Just thinking aloud, is there a difference with how the 'Date taken' is handled if images are uploaded through the archive route?

No, unfortunately, they have also reverted to the date scanned / digitised ....

8 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, maybe ask contributors@alamy.com if something has changed, or what to do, I've never had to do it but wondered how to go about it.

If I recall correctly AIM works if the date taken is altered to a date containing date, month and year. But that does mean making the exact date up as there's often no way of knowing the exact date the original film picture was taken. IMO it maybe best to not bother trying to alter the date taken in AIM and just put the year and maybe month in the caption if it's important.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

At least for my images, I just noticed the details page "date taken" has been changed back to where it was before (taking the value from the AIM date field)... hopefully its not a blip and not some old cached webpage on some web proxy.

26 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

If I recall correctly AIM works if the date taken is altered to a date containing date, month and year.

Thanks Mark, in that case presumably that means that those with a simplified date, as with '1984' in my example, were simply uploaded and captioned before the new AIM? I only know the new AIM.

Edited by Harry Harrison

53 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks Mark, in that case presumably that means that those with a simplified date, as with '1984' in my example, were simply uploaded and captioned before the new AIM? I only know the new AIM.

Given the Alamy ref of the example image quoted is D1WTDF, then yes it's well before the new AIM because that reference number would have been uploaded around Jan 2013.

Mark