Jump to content

Personal use and microstock level fees


Recommended Posts

There has been a great deal of comment about the low level of certain fees, netting only a few cents.  My broad understanding is that these result from bulk sales to commercial clients or newspapers, in other words, commercial usage by corporate clients.

 

I have not disabled Personal Use licensing.  While the odd probably cynical reversal of PU sales annoys me, overall at $10 or so a time, there is still a benefit and, to my mind, worth having.  

 

I had a sale reported yesterday for $0.50 gross.  I thought that it was another of those bulk miniscule licence fee sales, but on checking today, I see it was not, it was a Personal Use licence,  The exact licence was: "Country: Worldwide.  Usage: Personal use, Non-commercial projects such as teaching materials, essays, dissertations, theses and presentations."

 

Why on earth is Alamy selling PU licences at less than a dollar, less than microstock prices from well known players (I hesitate, despite the temptation to do so, to refer to the microstock agencies as competitors).  Surely there can be no justification for virtually giving away our images for Personal Use.  If anyone is buying bulk packages (if that is the reason for this level of fee), does anyone really believe the images are for personal use?  Surely personal use licensing should be available only for single images, without bulk discounts.

 

Is this going to become the new norm for PU?  If so, I will disable PU licensing and sell the images myself for better figures on POD sites.  It's a crazy situation if people can download images from Alamy almost free for personal use, to print much more cheaply than buying from a POD site.

 

Graham

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Graham said:

The exact licence was: "Country: Worldwide.  Usage: Personal use, Non-commercial projects such as teaching materials, essays, dissertations, theses and presentations."

 

Yes - seems there's something amiss with this, 

Personal Use license (which by Alamy's definition are "non-commercial use only") images should not be available to bulk image pack sales or subscriptions. 

 

But yet - Alamy's "Global Enterprise Sales" pages offer Enterprise Personal Use Image Packs.   PU likely also available in their Enterprise Subscription scheme.

https://www.alamy.com/enterprise/

 

How does "Personal Use" fit in commercial Enterprise sales offerings?

Edited by Phil
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ouch! Fortunately I haven't seen any of these super low PU sales. Mine are usually full price ($19.99) or roughly 25% off, which I guess could be an image pack price. It's the choice of subjects that usually baffles me. They often strike me as being more suited to commercial use than PU, but who knows. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It totally puzzles me that Alamy never tells us what is going on.

 

Really, what is the purpose of this almost total non-communication strategy?

 

All it does is create mistrust and suspicion. What is the gain to them?

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It totally puzzles me that Alamy never tells us what is going on.

 

Really, what is the purpose of this almost total non-communication strategy?

 

All it does is create mistrust and suspicion. What is the gain to them?

 

Perhaps they don't know what's going on. 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Perhaps they don't know what's going on. 🙃

 

In which case why do we get these periodic posts suggesting that lots of goodies are soon to be announced?

  • Love 1
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

In which case why do we get these periodic posts suggesting that lots of goodies are soon to be announced?

To keep the carrot always ' just' in front of the donkeys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There has been previous discussion of a specific licence for student use in dissertations, student projects etc. at a greatly discounted price. The OP's licence looks very much like one of these, except previously they have been specifically specified as 'usage: student projects...'. As contributors we may not feel any the more happy about the low, low payout for the licence, but the background and thinking behind it is at least a little more understandable than just describing it as 'personal use' where we have an expectation of something akin to $10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see lots of images are sold under PU license that I'm struggling to understand why on earth one could possible use such images to hang on a wall. Something like almost editorial image. Really? I bet it's just a simple fact of abusing the system.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ilya Genkin said:

I can see lots of images are sold under PU license that I'm struggling to understand why on earth one could possible use such images to hang on a wall. Something like almost editorial image. Really? I bet it's just a simple fact of abusing the system.

 

agree on usage, except i usually get more from PU, than from most editorial usage nowadays.   

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

agree on usage, except i usually get more from PU, than from most editorial usage nowadays.   

 

Yes, me too. I more about style of images under PU. Not a nice landscape image (I could totally understand that), but mote like a street shots etc which are fine for news website or similar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

There has been previous discussion of a specific licence for student use in dissertations, student projects etc. at a greatly discounted price. The OP's licence looks very much like one of these, except previously they have been specifically specified as 'usage: student projects...'. As contributors we may not feel any the more happy about the low, low payout for the licence, but the background and thinking behind it is at least a little more understandable than just describing it as 'personal use' where we have an expectation of something akin to $10.

 

I think you're correct. I seem to remember getting some $0.50 sales of images specifically for student use (i.e. not designated as PU). This is probably one of those dressed in new clothing for some reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.