Tree fungi identification

Milton

Question

16 answers to this question

18 hours ago, Milton said:

Hi all,

Is anyone able to help me identify the fungi in this image.  Photo was taken on Wimbledon Common, London.

Identification of the tree as well would be a great bonus.

Thanks

Milton

Tree fungus Stock Photo

Without more information it is difficult to give a definitive reply but I would suggest the fungus could be "VOLVARIELLA BOMBYCINA". Usually forms on rotting Elm trees.

Tree ID would need to see the leaf.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Update:

Thanks for your responses @Allan Bell, @wiskerke, @Jose Decio Molaro and @R De Marigny.  I approached the Ranger's office over at Wimbledon Common and they in turn sought the opinion of a local expert.

The definitive conclusion is that the unusual fungal growth is in fact.... chewing gum!

Hilarious!

20 minutes ago, Milton said:

Update:

Thanks for your responses @Allan Bell, @wiskerke, @Jose Decio Molaro and @R De Marigny.  I approached the Ranger's office over at Wimbledon Common and they in turn sought the opinion of a local expert.

The definitive conclusion is that the unusual fungal growth is in fact.... chewing gum!

Hilarious!

To be honest, that was my first thought when I saw it, the spacing is too regular!

1 hour ago, Milton said:

Update:

Hilarious!

Sticking chewing gum to trees - who would have thought...

A tree covered in wads of used chewing gum. Stock Photo

Mark

On 16/11/2021 at 10:46, Milton said:

Hi all,

Is anyone able to help me identify the fungi in this image.  Photo was taken on Wimbledon Common, London.

Identification of the tree as well would be a great bonus.

Thanks

Milton

Tree fungus Stock Photo

So, Common Wrigley's stickysporium it is then.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman