1000 year duration?

Has anyone figured out what the 1000 year duration included recently in some licensing terms is all about? I guess it makes a bit more sense than "in perpetuity." However, we'll all be gone by then, perhaps even the whole human race will except for billionaires who could afford to escape to Mars before Earth boiled over.  👨‍🚀

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Just now, John Mitchell said:

Has anyone figured out what the 1000 year duration included recently in some licensing terms is all about? I guess it makes a bit more sense than "in perpetuity.' However, we'll all be gone by then, perhaps even the whole human race except for billionaires who could afford to escape to Mars before Earth boiled over.  👨‍🚀

Rather silly I think. Maybe a misprunt??

Kumar

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Has anyone figured out what the 1000 year duration included recently in some licensing terms is all about? I guess it makes a bit more sense than "in perpetuity." 

Perhaps some parties do prefer a stated period of time over the open ended 'in perpetuity'. A computerised system may struggle to understand that idea.

Just now, Avpics said:

Perhaps some parties do prefer a stated period of time over the open ended 'in perpetuity'. A computerised system may struggle to understand that idea.

1000 years?

Do you think Alamy will then allow refunds?

• Love 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

deleted

glitch

Edited by geogphotos

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

more computer glitch

deleted

Edited by geogphotos

15 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Good point. When I was doing freelance writing, some publications started including the phrase "throughout the universe" in addition to "in perpetuity" in their "all rights" contracts. I wonder if we'll start seeing that in the "region" part of the licensing terms.

Edited by John Mitchell

This started out in the area of independent TV production in the US and just spread as staff moved about and took the ideas with them or they were just looking over each others shoulders. It is, of course, utter nonsense. Back in the days operating as a niche agency I almost always managed to get it stuck out as a matter of principal

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2021 at 20:37, John Mitchell said:

Has anyone figured out what the 1000 year duration included recently in some licensing terms is all about? I guess it makes a bit more sense than "in perpetuity." However, we'll all be gone by then, perhaps even the whole human race will except for billionaires who could afford to escape to Mars before Earth boiled over.  👨‍🚀

That's what I call a long-term business model - a Tausendjähriges Reich or "Thousand-Year Reich" in the making! 😞