Distributor commission- deduction now 76%- did I miss something?

spacecadet

Question

This was a nasty shock. We now get 24% of a distro sale instead of 30%. Where did that chiselling piece of greed come from? Is it just me or did anyone else miss the (not so) fine print?

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

14 answers to this question

24% is not even guaranteed.   

Alamy takes 60% after distributors commission with NO contractual restriction on amount of the distribution component.   

but if distributor take 40%  it means Alamy takes 60% of 60% = 36%  which would leave contributor with 24%.  but it could be lower 

• Thanks 1

I did miss it.

Just noticed this is actually correct- they now take 60% after the distro's commission, instead of 30% of the gross, which nicely adds up to another 6%. Just a sneaky extra words; "after deduction of Distributor fee or commission" in the new commission table, which is deceptively placed below the old one on the contract page.

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

but it could be lower :blink:

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Just noticed this is actually correct- they now take 60% after the distro's commission, instead of 30% of the gross, which nicely adds up to another 6%. Just a sneaky extra words; "after deduction of Distributor fee or commission" in the new commission table, which is deceptively placed below the old one on the contract page.

And again the contract would allow them to have arrangements with a commission to the distributor higher the 40% leaving us even less.  

• Thanks 1

On 29/07/2021 at 10:07, spacecadet said:

This was a nasty shock. We now get 24% of a distro sale instead of 30%. Where did that chiselling piece of greed come from? Is it just me or did anyone else miss the (not so) fine print?

Shocked? Imagine one day you have the following:

Sale 0.10 Deduction 0.08  Due 0.02

12 hours ago, lisah2006 said:

They are trying to charge me money. What is going on? How do I get all my photos down?!

Probably a mistake. Wait a day or two and see if it’s corrected by Alamy. If you want to close your account, write Alamy.

15 minutes ago, dunstun365 said:

I only found out about this distributor's commission when I looked at my sales page today or does it come out of Alamy's commission it better do as Alamy takes 80% from me as it is.

The distributor takes their cut first, then (for silver) Alamy takes 80% of what is left. You get the remainder. Distributor cut is typically 40%, but that figure is no longer defined in the contract.

2 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

The distributor takes their cut first, then (for silver) Alamy takes 80% of what is left. You get the remainder. Distributor cut is typically 40%, but that figure is no longer defined in the contract.

Oh yes, 40%  distro commission & Alamy's distribution commission was 30% but this was for my first two sales on here in early 2021. Thankfully there's been no more Distributor commission charges for my sales since then