Do capital letters make a difference in keywords?

PatsyCollins

Question

7 answers to this question

Uppercase and lowercase are ignored in searches of both captions and keywords. I make sure I use capitals and punctutation properly in captions simply to make the caption more easily readable and to maintain an air of professionalism.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

No.

That's an easy one to test for yourself: log out and do a search for Miss Willmott's Ghost and miss willmott's ghost.

And see if there's any difference in the results.

(Does logging out change the results? No, but some people believe it might.)

Now one caveat: we can never be sure this will stay this way. Alamy does change things from time to time.

However even Google is not taking capitalization into account. Try apple / Apple. Google presents the same mix of fruit and computer company logos for both.

And what Joseph just said.

wim

Edited by wiskerke
they = it
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Now one caveat: we can never be sure this will stay this way. Alamy does change things from time to time.

Exactly, wim. Boy, is there ever a track record for that. Can you imagine going through an entire portfolio and putting in the caps? I remember diving into my port doing “ “ (and other anoitations?) because Alamy decided those would help with searches.  Then after all the work, Alamy didn’t implement it.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s just an exercise to see how many dogs jump through the hoop.
I’ve done complete revisions of my portfolio at least twice. The implementing of AIM caused havoc…broken phrases, missing letters and all means of trouble. 5000 images later, one by one, I fixed them. Every. Single. Evening. For months.

Maybe we should give thanks for that extreme rush of satisfaction and pleasure we experience when the last one is finished.

BowWow.

• Love 1

the only place it makes a difference is in image manager they get counted separately,  so the " low discoverability " thing bugs you just enter same word with mix of capitals.   

image,  Image, ImaGe, IMAge, imagE  would doubt as 5 kw...  which again shows how discoverability is useless measure 

• Love 1

If you were ever to use Alamy Lightroom Bridge for keywording, it would make a difference as any tags downloaded from Alamy with caps/no caps would be counted as different and your keywording hierarchy would be messed up. Best to be consistent.