Lightroom copying images to Pictures folder

I thought I would finally give Lightroom a try.  Bridge is getting a little clumsy.

So I imported the images from my sd card and started going through them.  There were probably 400 images of which I would end up keeping maybe 10.  After a few minutes I was noticing my internet speed was horrific.  Could not figure out the issue.  I unplugged the modem and router and plugged them back in, but still couldn't figure it out. It was crawling.  Opened task manager and there it was - OneDrive had started to upload all the images from the folder that Lightroom had created. Who wants to upload images where most will be binned and I have a slow internet to start with.  10Mb download and only 1 Mb upload.  And when something is uploading, it totally hogs the line.

I managed to pause the upload, even tried unlinking my computer from one drive, but it kept relinking it back up.

How do I keep LR from putting copies of imported images into the Picture directory.  Can I change where it puts it?

I hate auto sync of any kind.  Mostly because of my slow speed, but also because of the fact that I don't want autosyncing of files I will be deleting. 

Jill

21 minutes ago, MDM said:

Have you installed Lightroom Classic or Lightroom?

Lightroom Classic.  I did find a way to change the placing of the folder, so at least onedrive doesn't try to upload everything. I know LR has a bit of a learning curve compared to ACR and Bridge (which I've been using for years).  I now can't figure how to send an image to PS. And install any of my filters such as Luminar 4, AI and my Topaz software.  Always a pain learning something new, so tempting to return to the comfort of the stuff you can do in auto pilot.

Jill

It is a very easy program to learn if you have been using Bridge and ACR but it involves a slightly different mindset. ACR and Lightroom  Develop Module are almost identical now.  The first thing to do is to setting up the way you want it in the general and catalog prefs. However, I don’t think learning it in bits is enough way to go although the online help is very good. Personally, as someone who learns well from books, I would recommend buying the Scott Kelby book as this will take you through it in bite size pieces but in a structured way. 

The extreme internet usage is a bit of a mystery which is why I asked about which program you were using. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MDM said:

It is a very easy program to learn if you have been using Bridge and ACR but it involves a slightly different mindset. ACR and Lightroom  Develop Module are almost identical now.  The first thing to do is to setting up the way you want it in the general and catalog prefs. However, I don’t think learning it in bits is enough way to go although the online help is very good. Personally, as someone who learns well from books, I would recommend buying the Scott Kelby book as this will take you through it in bite size pieces but in a structured way. 

The extreme internet usage is a bit of a mystery which is why I asked about which program you were using. 

The extreme internet usage is because OneDrive is set to auto sync any new files in the Pictures folder.  Well that is where LR put the files, so OneDrive started to upload.  If I had decent internet, it wouldn't be an issue, but DSL is the best I get out here in the country, so I live with it.  I have friends who can't even get DSL, they use data sticks on their computers.

Jill

In the Import dialogue you are given choices of where to put copies. My way of working is to import from my memory card onto my desktop and I import those into Lightroom putting them on an external hard drive and a copy onto another external drive. I do eventually put them from my desktop into my Pictures folder but I don't need to. I don't even know if what I have written is helpful so I think the Scott Kelby book would be a great idea or maybe just look online for tutorials on the Import dialog. Or read the manual on the Import dialog because you are given choices.

Paulette

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

In the Import dialogue you are given choices of where to put copies. My way of working is to import from my memory card onto my desktop and I import those into Lightroom putting them on an external hard drive and a copy onto another external drive. I do eventually put them from my desktop into my Pictures folder but I don't need to. I don't even know if what I have written is helpful so I think the Scott Kelby book would be a great idea or maybe just look online for tutorials on the Import dialog. Or read the manual on the Import dialog because you are given choices.

Paulette

I did find a way to change the folder destination, so that curse is done.  I am very good in ACW, so the developing part is not a problem.  More finding the fundamentals, and I think that will come with more I use it. I will watch some LR tutorials. 

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Used to be right-click "edit in........" I think PS is the default.

Thanks Mark.  I find myself thinking things will be in the same place as they are in ACR, and of course they aren't.

Jill

I recently built a new computer and was surprised to find that all my files were being saved to Onedrive by default with the new copy of Windows 10.  What a pain. Luckily OneDrive was nearly full, but then there are the annoying messages popping up that OneDrive was full.  I had to stumble around to figure out how to stop the madness.  Google Drive gives you 15GB for free.

Here is a link that can help.   https://account.cloud.ppi.net/knowledgebase/109/Turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-OneDrive.html

I had a problem with onedrive uploading everything on my pictures folder and didn't realize it was doing it until it started warning that I was running out of space.  I tried to figure out how to just upload what I wanted but if I tried to delete out of onedrive then it would also delete them off of the hard drive.  Finally just set onedrive to not upload anything.  I would liked to use the free space on onedrive for what I wanted to but seemed to be linked to the Pictures folder.