Contract Change 2021 - Official thread

2 minutes ago, RyanU said:

Do you reckon they'll keep the 100% student cut? 😄 I can imagine PA bosses eyes bulging when they found out that's an option.

Seriously I don't think that there are that many "Students" contributing but I could be wrong. Am I right in making the assumption you are a Student?

Allan

10 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

From what I have noticed, I think some of the worst keyword spammers are the agencies.  And look at the image spamming from that one agency in another thread on here.  And Alamy lets the agencies get away with it.

Alamy is counting on the silver category to become its' biggest money maker.  Myself and many others on this forum will soon find themselves there as prices keep falling.  By next year, probably 1/2 of Alamy's contributors will be there, with Alamy making twice the money they made from them in the gold category.  That is where Alamy wants most of the contributors to end up.

Jill

I suspect it is probably more like 80% that will fall into the Silver category. Think how many people have popped inhere, complaining that thery have put up 50 photogra[phs a month ago and have not made any money ;) They then disappear, I bet their account and photographs just end up orphaned.

Edited by Martin P Wilson
typo

Just now, Bill Kuta said:

Not sure what you mean, but the list of contract changes for clause 12.6-to-12.7, and 12.7-to-12.8, concerning forfeited contributors' commissions, removes references to Alamy contributing such amounts to a charity of their choice. Now the amounts are simply forfeited, meaning Alamy gets them.

I understand that in the earlier years a percentage of Alamy's profits were contributed to a particular charity and to do this I believe they would have had some "charitable status".

Allan

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Alamy is counting on the silver category to become its' biggest money maker.  Myself and many others on this forum will soon find themselves there as prices keep falling.  By next year, probably 1/2 of Alamy's contributors will be there, with Alamy making twice the money they made from them in the gold category.  That is where Alamy wants most of the contributors to end up.

Jill

interesting interpretation, i actually assumed it as Alamy trying to steer Silver category away and leaving the agency.  We know they would be highest net revenue per licenced image, but are we sure they are higher profit makers?  I assume Alamy has more data of overhead, and per contributor costs.  speaking as a former pricing person, it would be an interesting pricing exercise, you sometimes get interesting results what ends up being more profitable. 

9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Seriously I don't think that there are that many "Students" contributing but I could be wrong. Am I right in making the assumption you are a Student?

Allan

I'm not, but sure wish I was...

To Alamy: Marking my images as "Exclusive To Alamy" no longer has a financial benefit to me. What benefit does Exclusivity have? Is Alamy now/still chasing down miss-uses and wrong licensing?

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting interpretation, i actually assumed it as Alamy trying to steer Silver category away and leaving the agency.  We know they would be highest net revenue per licenced image, but are we sure they are higher profit makers?  I assume Alamy has more data of overhead, and per contributor costs.  speaking as a former pricing person, it would be an interesting pricing exercise, you sometimes get interesting results what ends up being more profitable. 

Then why did PA/Alamy not just come out and tell the ones they want rid of to go. It would have been a lot easier that faffing about like they are at the moment.

Allan

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Seriously I don't think that there are that many "Students" contributing but I could be wrong.

We are all students Allan or should be. Never stop learning and, if you have, it's never too late to restart (learning).

• Love 1

Just now, Martin P Wilson said:

Actually I am, have been for 2= years,  but never though to ask for 100% I am doing a photography related PhD.

If you have the ac.uk email / student ID I believe you're eligible!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Then why did PA/Alamy not just come out and tell the ones they want rid of to go. It would have been a lot easier that faffing about like they are at the moment.

Allan

because, as we have seen, communication is not a strength. 

Just now, MDM said:

We are all students Allan or should be. Never stop learning and, if you have, it's never too late to restart (learning).

Oh! I am! I am! definatly still learning and therefore a student. A very mature student.

Allan

Oh! I am! I am! definatly still learning and therefore a student. A very mature student.

Allan

Are you the real H then. Line of Duty fans only.😀

• Like 1

Just now, meanderingemu said:

i guess i'm an immature student 

I should have underlined mature.

Allan

1 minute ago, Russell Watkins said:

Bugger. Since my early retirement, I've been an Open University student.

I think they provide an ou.ac.uk email address?

1 minute ago, MDM said:

Are you the real H then. Line of Duty fans only.😀

Not a fan but YES and I give you the £10 reward for recognising me.

Allan

Just now, RyanU said:

I think they provide an ou.ac.uk email address?

Yup they do. And they're part of UniDays so I get educational discounts at places like Apple. I've just bought a little printer with an educational discount from HP using my OU email address too.

Yup they do. And they're part of UniDays so I get educational discounts at places like Apple. I've just bought a little printer with an educational discount from HP using my OU email address too.

I have used my nottingham.ac.uk email etc for software licence discounts. But nnot for Alamy, as Rusdsell said, BUGGER!

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Wow discounts for being a mature student with OU. Now what can I sign up for?

Allan

Wow discounts for being a mature student with OU. Now what can I sign up for?

Allan

There's quite a range of courses. I've been doing a mix of computing and maths/statistics modules and in the future, I'll be looking at arts/humanities subjects. 

But anyway... Coooeeeeh, Alamy...

The catch with the OU is that is no longer free or even cheap. Open to correction here but to my knowledge tuition fees are similar to red brick and other universities - £9,200 a year equivalent. 

3 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

There's quite a range of courses. I've been doing a mix of computing and maths/statistics modules and in the future, I'll be looking at arts/humanities subjects. 

But anyway... Coooeeeeh, Alamy...

It's nice to see you back Russell by the way. I recall you had to retire from your medical career as a GP because of serious health reasons which you mentioned here before. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic
  • Alamy unlocked this topic