Camera bags - Peter McKinnon - Kickstarter

I must say that I'd never heard of Peter McKinnon but he's clearly a successful Canadian photographer and influencer. His £75,000 Kickstarter pitch for a new camera bag in conjunction with Nomatic has now raised more than £750,000, which amazed me. You can't get them in Europe though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1131502390/the-everyday-camera-line-peter-mckinnon-x-nomatic?ref=1z0qcato

I suppose it's just a new way to sell bags, I imagine they were always going to make the bag so perhaps it's just marketing, it clearly works though.

Me, I'll just stick with my old Lowepros.

Edit:

Actually there is a way to get them in Europe should you so wish:

http://gomatic.com/

Edited by Harry Harrison

Not marketing no- projects don't go ahead if they don't make the amount and your money isn't safe. There's no financial protection as there would be in the UK so you seem to be entirely dependent on goodwill to get your money back.

Bargepole.

Edited by spacecadet

46 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Not marketing no- projects don't go ahead if they don't make the amount and your money isn't safe. There's no financial protection as there would be in the UK so you seem to be entirely dependent on goodwill to get your money back.

Sure, but given the amount by which they were over-subscribed (and it's still running with 41 days to go) I think they must have known that they would reach the target with a large margin, and from the photographs the bag has already been produced, or at least that's a very sophisticated prototype. However, I know nothing about marketing.

Peter Mckinnon has 397,000 followers on Twitter, that must help a bit.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I like Peter M's YouTube channel, have watched him forever, he has a very distinct video style. But with 5M subscribers on YouTube and over 2M on instagram one starts to wonder if opportunities for monetisation are a/the major driver. I watched some of his YT vids on his methods of post processing and thought many times throughout the process "thats OK for 1000 pixel image but would not hold up at 4000 pixels".

I will continue to watch him but an am very leary of "brands" on Youtube. 

I use bags by Think Tank and Vanguard, I think I own 6 altogether.  There's so many camera bag manufacturers I'm not sure another bag manufacturer is needed?  McKinnon is capitalising on his huge social media following, and fair play to him if he makes a bunch of money, but I won't be buying any more bags anytime soon.

• Like 1

I have four, including a backpack (only used once). I like to travel light not loaded up with a backpack.    Of the other three they will see me out.

Sometimes (often) go out without a bag just one camera and lens on a wrist strap with another lens in a pocket of my jacket.

Allan