Nik Collection

I read some reviews this evening. I mainly have always used the color Efex and sometimes Silver Efex for my fine art work. I think I’ll stick with my old version, it does enough of what I need it for. MzB, I would never have found my old installer and got it going if not for all of your advice. I’d been trying to get it going by copy/paste and that wasn’t working. I didn’t think to check my download folder.

Thank you.

I've always tried to share any help I could in other areas besides technical, which I stink at. Nice to know someone with that giving heart. You’ve spent a lot of time this evening on this. 🥰

Edited by Betty LaRue

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I had the same screwup with Nik free version. I had it on PS 2019. When I updated to PS 2021 and 10.15.7 Catalina, 2019 disappeared. I tried to buy Nik on their last sales but I could not install the app. ??? 

Look in your download folder and see if you still have the installer. You’ll see a line that says Nik & whatever else words in the text.  If you find it, double click on it and the installer should come up. That’s all I did, click on the installer and follow the prompts. That was for the free version.

Edited by Betty LaRue

No installer now, deleted it maybe, but the app is there. When I try to open/install NIK I have no installation code. I'm not doing any shooting now with my broken arm, pain, and no proper sleep for the past 2.5 weeks. I'll deal with NIK later. 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

No installer now, deleted it maybe, but the app is there. When I try to open/install NIK I have no installation code. I'm not doing any shooting now with my broken arm, pain, and no proper sleep for the past 2.5 weeks. I'll deal with NIK later. 

Take it easy Edo, one day at a time. NIK can wait. I've ordered a new laptop and will have to go through the NIK, Topaz and more plugins re-installation myself. Not looking forward to that I can tell you.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have to add this. I perused a forum addressing problems about installation problems. Apparently Adobe just in the last week or so addressed that and now people who couldn’t successfully install Nik, now can.

Always helps to check Genius Bar Google. :)

Adobe released a new Photoshop recently -- that may have been the problem fix since it keeps one new bit of Nik only there.  

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you.

Mheh, I used to be a teacher and sometimes, it shows.   Sometimes, it shows too much.   Glad to be of help.   Remember DXO reviews lenses and also produces these programs, and gives you a month free trial of all of them.  They may or may not fit into your work flow.  We all don't work alike.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm gonna look at all this again when I'm feeling better. It seems I just got Apple Catalina. Now they want me to load Big Sur. I feel like I'm on a bus tour of California. 

Haven't had any problem with Big Sur other than Carbon Copy Cloner won't make a bootable backup anymore, but CCC will in the future guide you through installing Big Sur on your backup drive.   Big Sur is very pretty, but the new Lightroom Classic and Photoshop were bigger changes.

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

Mheh, I used to be a teacher and sometimes, it shows.   Sometimes, it shows too much.   Glad to be of help.   Remember DXO reviews lenses and also produces these programs, and gives you a month free trial of all of them.  They may or may not fit into your work flow.  We all don't work alike.

Teaching is a good thing. You can always offer a solution, and people can try it or not. We all have choices. If you reach one person and solve their problem, it’s worth it even when somebody may disagree.
Sometimes when I “think” I can offer decent advice, I hesitate. I’ve been wrong before. But if I feel I can help, I usually can’t not at least try to help. It’s my nature and I suspect it’s yours, too.

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wish I could send you my installer. Since the Google Nik has been abandoned, I doubt it would be wrong. Nobody would care, I wouldn’t think.

11 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

A bit off topic but DxO have sales pretty regularly so if you miss the bargain this time around I'm sure there will be a sale after Xmas. I get their emails all the time even though I am up to date.

I've had their programs for years now and, yeah.  I'd suggest to anyone who hasn't used DXO programs before to do the fully featured trials and then wait for the sales.

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I've had their programs for years now and, yeah.  I'd suggest to anyone who hasn't used DXO programs before to do the fully featured trials and then wait for the sales.

If I download the trial, will it overwrite my old program? Seems like I read somewhere that it would.  Would I need to move my installer out of my download folder and put it somewhere else (different folder on my desktop) so that couldn’t happen? I would hate to trial then find there wasn’t enough in the new version important enough for my narrow use over my old program to spend the money for the new.

45 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

If I download the trial, will it overwrite my old program? Seems like I read somewhere that it would.  Would I need to move my installer out of my download folder and put it somewhere else (different folder on my desktop) so that couldn’t happen? I would hate to trial then find there wasn’t enough in the new version important enough for my narrow use over my old program to spend the money for the new.

Safest would be to copy the old installer to a thumb drive.  The new one probably will overwrite any previous installed versions ones, but really shouldn't touch the older installer.  However, safer if it's not on the computer at all.  

28 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Safest would be to copy the old installer to a thumb drive.  The new one probably will overwrite any previous installed versions ones, but really shouldn't touch the older installer.  However, safer if it's not on the computer at all.  

Thanks. You verified my fears. I do have a thumb drive.

• 2 weeks later...

And DXO has yet another sale.  Don't know if you like trying out new software, but DXO PhotoLab 4  Elite version has some of the best noise reduction software going.  And it appears to play nice with my iMac when LR Classic 10.1 is breaking things.   If you registered for the emails, you'll get word of the sales.  I've never bought DXO programs full price.