Nik Collection

My old Google Nik collection doesn't work. I've tried copying it into the latest CC 2021, its now in the Plug-ins folder but doesn't show up in PS/Bridge.  I"m on an iMac, mac OS version

10.14.6 Mojave.

Have any of you figured out how to make the old free version relevant to Adobe CC?

There is a sale going on and I can get the whole new DXO version for $79 but the sale ends in a day.  I'm hearing some are having trouble getting it to work in CC also.  Any of you have it on a Mac, and is there a trick with installation to get it to work?  

Thanks!

Betty

edit: Looked at an old thread and somebody said the old one works in LR???  Where do I look?  I just looked and see nothing to get me to plugins.

Edited by Betty LaRue

38 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My old Google Nik collection doesn't work. I've tried copying it into the latest CC 2021, its now in the Plug-ins folder but doesn't show up in PS/Bridge.  I"m on an iMac, mac OS version

10.14.6 Mojave.

Have any of you figured out how to make the old free version relevant to Adobe CC?

There is a sale going on and I can get the whole new DXO version for $79 but the sale ends in a day.  I'm hearing some are having trouble getting it to work in CC also.  Any of you have it on a Mac, and is there a trick with installation to get it to work?  

Thanks!

Betty

edit: Looked at an old thread and somebody said the old one works in LR???  Where do I look?  I just looked and see nothing to get me to plugins.

I have a late 2014 27 inch Retina 5k running Big Sur.   The Nik Collection shows up under filters on Photoshop (latest version) and Edit in in Lightroom Classic.   Don't remember any specific problems other than figuring out where to call them up.

Don't use the cloud version of Lightroom, so don't know how that works with the Nik collection.  

Basic requirements for Macs: 

Intel Core™ i5 or higher
4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina), 11 (Big Sur)

Edited by MizBrown
Not sure when I bought the Nik Collection

7 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I have a late 2014 27 inch Retina 5k running Big Sur.   The Nik Collection shows up under filters on Photoshop (latest version) and Edit in in Lightroom Classic.   Don't remember any specific problems other than figuring out where to call them up.

Don't use the cloud version of Lightroom, so don't know how that works with the Nik collection.  

Basic requirements for Macs: 

Intel Core™ i5 or higher
4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina), 11 (Big Sur)

Is your Nik collection the old Google one or the DXO version?

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I had the same screwup with Nik free version. I had it on PS 2019. When I updated to PS 2021 and 10.15.7 Catalina, 2019 disappeared. I tried to buy Nik on their last sales but I could not install the app. ??? 

I’m not good with these things, either, Edo. I generally break out in a sweat and have an anxiety attack when installing new software. It seems somewhere in the middle of it, it asks me to make a choice or two. I think that can be where one can go wrong.

I do remember once when an application didn’t work I googled the problem and was told to copy the application, then navigate to the Adobe Plug-in folder and paste it. It worked. 
I tried that with my old version this afternoon and no joy.
I’m just a bumblebee trying to gather pollen from a knot in a tree because I don’t know a flower when I see it.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Just now, Betty LaRue said:

Is your Nik collection the old Google one or the DXO version?

DXO, latest version.  Despite buying it already, I keep getting notices on the sale :).  I checked with my account page and I'm all up to date with my DXO products except for the DXO Filmpack, which I don't care so much about.

When you buy it, they'll email the activation code.  It's good for at least two machines, Windows and Mac (more I think).   Should install as free standing, and plug-ins.  Check your Launch Pad after installing.

At what stage are you having problems and is your Mac giving you any warnings?    My senior cat has decided I can't read the New York Review of Books right now and is sleeping on my iPad inside its cover, so I have time.

• Love 1

And, Edo, same consultation for you, gratis.  I may not be in Alamy's top tier of photographers, but I did work in IT at one time and added memory to both my current computers and an SSD card to my Dell laptop.

If you have install problems, one thing to do is download again, but don't overwrite the first downloaded file.  Sometimes, files are corrupted: network issues, electrical browndowns without an Uninterrupted Power Source (I like TrippLite, which is available in Nicaragua) or problems on the seller's server side.  Don't install until you get the seller's email with the authentication code.  You will need to be connected to a working network connection to authenticate. 

Next click/double click on the install package and if asked to, enter your administrator password.  Most of the time, use your password unless you have two separate accounts on your machine, one for admin and one for ordinary user (I don't have this on my Mac, but do have it on my Windows laptop).  You want to install for all users probably, but you can just install for you.   You want to install the plug-ins for all the programs you have,  but most of the time, the install program finds those and you just click next.  Agree to the terms of use -- it won't install or go further from that screen if you don't.  (Not sure the order of that screen).   Somewhere in this, you put in the authentication code.   Once the install is done, you see the "Finish" button, which closes the install program. 

Read the last paragraph and remember that it's perhaps not precisely in order but does cover what you will need to do.  Let me know if there's a prompt I failed to remember.

Edited by MizBrown
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

DXO, latest version.  Despite buying it already, I keep getting notices on the sale :).  I checked with my account page and I'm all up to date with my DXO products except for the DXO Filmpack, which I don't care so much about.

When you buy it, they'll email the activation code.  It's good for at least two machines, Windows and Mac (more I think).   Should install as free standing, and plug-ins.  Check your Launch Pad after installing.

At what stage are you having problems and is your Mac giving you any warnings?    My senior cat has decided I can't read the New York Review of Books right now and is sleeping on my iPad inside its cover, so I have time.

No warnings. I just found the old version Nik collection under applications. I went to Adobe 2021 and pasted it into the a plug-ins folder. I closed everything out, turned off my Mac then turned it on again. I opened PSCC, then Bridge and opened an image I’d already developed. I looked for Nik and it wasn’t there, but an old Topaz is still there and works. 

Edo, take care of yourself.  Sorry to hear that you're ill.   A friend of mine who also lives in the UK (London) has visiting nurses from time to time come to help with his diabetic foot problems.  Perhaps you can get a home health aide to stop in to help. 

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thank you, dear. I'm too ill right now to focus on this stuff. 

Ed, do you have an illness going on besides your shoulder/arm? Do you have Covid? I’m concerned. Too sick to mess about on the computer is pretty sick. Are you able to get food?

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

And, Edo, same consultation for you, gratis.  I may not be in Alamy's top tier of photographers, but I did work in IT at one time and added memory to both my current computers and an SSD card to my Dell laptop.

If you have install problems, one thing to do is download again, but don't overwrite the first downloaded file.  Sometimes, files are corrupted: network issues, electrical browndowns without an Uninterrupted Power Source (I like TrippLite, which is available in Nicaragua) or problems on the seller's server side.  Don't install until you get the seller's email with the authentication code.  You will need to be connected to a working network connection to authenticate. 

Next click/double click on the install package and if asked to, enter your administrator password.  Most of the time, use your password unless you have two separate accounts on your machine, one for admin and one for ordinary user (I don't have this on my Mac, but do have it on my Windows laptop).  You want to install for all users probably, but you can just install for you.   You want to install the plug-ins for all the programs you have,  but most of the time, the install program finds those and you just click next.  Agree to the terms of use -- it won't install or go further from that screen if you don't.  (Not sure the order of that screen).   Somewhere in this, you put in the authentication code.   Once the install is done, you see the "Finish" button, which closes the install program. 

Read the last paragraph and remember that it's perhaps not precisely in order but does cover what you will need to do.  Let me know if there's a prompt I failed to remember.

What do you mean “don’t overwrite?” I assume that means you either delete the first one you downloaded or get it out of your download folder and put it in a folder of its own before downloading again. Right?

49 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

What do you mean “don’t overwrite?” I assume that means you either delete the first one you downloaded or get it out of your download folder and put it in a folder of its own before downloading again. Right?

Just delete it.  I had to go away for a bit to try to solve my mouse problem by deleting some preferences that may have been corrupt.  I shall see.  Then download it again.   If you've paid for it, you should have gotten the authentication code by email.   They also send you links to the program.  You should have created an account with them when you checked out.

Edited by MizBrown
More details

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don't know if this will help, Betty, but I recently got Prolost Dehaze and this is their instruction for adding to Lightroom. I think it should tell you where to look.....
Open Preferences (on Mac that's Lightroom → Preferences, on Windows it's Edit → Preferences).
Click on the Presets tab.
Click Show Lightroom Presets Folder...
This will locate a folder called Lightroom. Open that to reveal the Develop Presets folder. This is the folder that you'll copy the preset folders into.
If you have Store presets with this catalog checked, the Develop Presets folder will be in the Lightroom Settings folder that appears when you chose Show Lightroom Presets Folder....

Paulette

2 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I don't know if this will help, Betty, but I recently got Prolost Dehaze and this is their instruction for adding to Lightroom. I think it should tell you where to look.....
Open Preferences (on Mac that's Lightroom → Preferences, on Windows it's Edit → Preferences).
Click on the Presets tab.
Click Show Lightroom Presets Folder...
This will locate a folder called Lightroom. Open that to reveal the Develop Presets folder. This is the folder that you'll copy the preset folders into.
If you have Store presets with this catalog checked, the Develop Presets folder will be in the Lightroom Settings folder that appears when you chose Show Lightroom Presets Folder....

Paulette

Nope, this is a different thing.  I've been looking at my emails for how it worked for me   My purchase date for DXO Nik Collection 3 was June 2020.  That's the same collection that's on sale now.   These are not pre-sets.   The only problem I had was trying to find the floating pop-up that used to display them (I did have an earlier version).   One of my  earlier posts said where to find them in both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic.   

I've installed them on both this machine and my Dell laptop.  The problem may be not closing all the programs you're going to be installing the plug-ins on:  DXO Photo Lab 4, Lightroom CC, and Photoshop.   DXO Photo Lab only shows the floating window for the Nik Collection if I open a file that I haven't already worked on. 

Possible causes for problems: corrupt file, programs that you're installing the plugins on being open (Lightroom of either flavor, Photoshop, DXO Photo Lab, the lightweight version of Photoshop), not authenticating to the installer when asked.  If your electric lights are dimming, that's an electrical brown down and that can mess up a computer that's not on an UPS/Uninterrupted Power Source (cheap Chinese ones work -- I like TrippLite better and was able to buy a new battery for mine when the first one died). 

I save all install files to my downloads  folder.   Just clicked on it and got two icons -- The Nik Collection.app for the install and one uninstaller.app.  All my graphics programs are closed.   I got a pop up from the iMac with three choices.  I'm clicking Open.  Next pop-up  is "Install 'Nik Collection."  I'm clicking Continue.   On left is the steps the install will take.  On the next screen, I'm clicking Accept for the software agreement.  You can unclick send data to the developers if you wish.  I used to do beta testing for open source software, so I'm generous sometimes.   Next is the screen that shows the graphics programs that this collection will be installed on.    I've got three of them: Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, and DX0 PhotoLab4.   All should be closed.   I've hit Continue and have gotten to the install location.  In my case, it's /Applications/NikCollection.  I've accepted the install defaults and hit install.  My computer gave me a popup asking for my password to allow this.  I entered my password.  The Nix installer extracts files first, then writes the files.   There's a progress bar and the install program tells you which program is getting the files installed.   When the install is done, you'll see  a white check in a green circle and text telling you the installation was successful, The software was installed.   If you're buying, you'll have some screen that asked for your authentication number (may in the install, maybe the first time you open one of the programs). 

26 minutes ago, Panthera tigris said:

Strange, I am running PS2021 on my MBP (running Big Sur) and have the old version (free one) of Nik on it, I don't use it anymore to be honest but thought I would check if it works and if not then just delete it as I don't use it.

Still works fine though.

The advantage of the new ones is you can save the Tiffs in such a way that you have non-destructive editing (of a sort?).    Couple of other things.   I also have DXO Viewpoint which is up to date, and which I have used to fix distorted people at the edge of a frame when shooting with my 18mm lens on full frame.   I keep some of these things for edge cases.

1 hour ago, Panthera tigris said:

Strange, I am running PS2021 on my MBP (running Big Sur) and have the old version (free one) of Nik on it, I don't use it anymore to be honest but thought I would check if it works and if not then just delete it as I don't use it.

Still works fine though.

Are you on a PC or Mac?

I’ll look and see if I still have my old Nik installer tucked away somewhere.

edit: I found Nik Google in my download folder. I installed them. They work! 
MzBrown, is there anything particularly special about the DXO version that made you get it or did you never have the Google version?

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ll look and see if I still have my old Nik installer tucked away somewhere.

edit: I found Nik Google in my download folder. I installed them. They work! 
MzBrown, is there anything particularly special about the DXO version that made you get it or did you never have the Google version?

You can save files so that you can revert changes if you're going between the Nik collection and Lightroom Classic.    This  is how DXO describes it in advertising language:

"The non-destructive workflow is a completely new feature and exclusive to Nik Collection 3. By using the TIFF MULTIPAGE file format, Nik Collection 3 can combine an input file with your original Lightroom edits as well as any changes you’ve made using Nik Collection 3 plugins. Save both sets of edits in a single file.

The plugins can open an image in Adobe Lightroom Classic without changing any of the filters that were applied the last time the file was saved. Return to edits as many times as you like without losing any original adjustments made with Adobe Lightroom Classic.

Non-destructive workflow gives maximum flexibility when editing and is a huge improvement for users of Adobe Lightroom Classic and DxO PhotoLab."

And there's this that works in Photoshop which doesn't interest me as much:

"The new Last Edit feature lets you re-apply your last edits with just one click of a mouse. The new Quick Edit option can re-apply the last plugins you used without needing to launch the plugin interface. Access favorite presets for Silver Efex Pro and HDR Efex Pro, as well as your favorite Color Efex Pro effects. These new features give you an even-more-effective workflow, especially when editing a series of similar images."

Also the DXO message thingie only shows up with the Photoshop DXO Nik Collection selector.

DXO does have periodic sales and buying when they have them brings the price down a bit.    DXO PhotoLab has DeepPRIME which does an amazing job with noise.  Lightroom Classic and DXO PhotoLab communicate very well with each other.  I've had it for several years under at least one change of program name.  Lightroom has a "Transfer to DXO PhotoLab" in File/Plugin Extras."   DXO PhotoLab has an Export to Lightroom button.

You can do free trials of all DXO programs.   They'll have another sale in the future if you find you do like them.   ViewPoint may not be as useful for someone who's experienced with Photoshop.  And I have the free version of the fake film looks, but meh, I don't plan to upgrade it.    Once DXO has your email address, they will let you know about the sales.  

Edited by MizBrown