Is this Margate?

geogphotos

I am probably wrong and do not have any information you may have about the image but it looks more like Bognor Regis at high tide to me.

Allan

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks Allan, looking at pics of Bognor there seems to be a road between the buildings and the beach - but this could be a different section. If Bognor I suppose this was taken from the pier. 

That was my thought. There have been some changes naturally but the white building in the distance looks very similar to whar is in your image.

Bognor Regis Seafront and Sands Stock Photo

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

• 2 weeks later...

Another one from Kent. I have found this one but since a request was made for more images to locate here goes.......

I0000lh2PFHIoLNw.jpg

I0000Ubq9kVBtxo0.jpg

I0000ln27fny4q.g.jpg

Belle View Tea gardens and Marine Tea gardens and Sands

Edited by geogphotos

How about this one? Except it turns out not to be Barcelona! 

This is by a famous photographer pair. Such good quality that I submitted it as stock after 20 minutes dust busting and cloning.

Taken in 1890.

Is this Margate?

I00002uGlJpyiJ5E.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The answer is now up - Saturday database update.

The answer to the Barcelona one?

That would be amazing.

It's easy enough to see that it's Spain because of the architecture. Maybe the people are Roma. The ropes could mean it is in a harbor town.

It could be it's a regular street leading up to a town's main square. The gates to these often look like this. However it could indeed be a market on the square, where the merchandise on the right is not from shops on this side of the street, but from market stalls. While the Spanish have been building large covered markets from around 1840, the real building boom came after 1890 (Eiffel and all that). So it could well be a place where there's a market building now or even where one has been.

Would gypsies have shops in the central square of a large town? In any square? In any town?

(These were my initial thoughts yesterday).

Anyway, Google reports it's not in Almeria, but in Cordoba: https://goo.gl/maps/vmEHBFDEYWRKYz8H7

I thought it looked familiar. But hey these squares too are like penguins. Pictures here on Alamy are usually of the sides where the nice colonnades are.

wim

24 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Anyway, Google reports it's not in Almeria, but in Cordoba: https://goo.gl/maps/vmEHBFDEYWRKYz8H7

I thought it looked familiar. But hey these squares too are like penguins. Pictures here on Alamy are usually of the sides where the nice colonnades are.

wim

Yes well spotted it certainly does look like Cordoba - I have been to that square.

I think I would need to contact the museum in Almeria to ask them why they are claiming it to to there. 

So now my caption is:

'Espartería en Almería' 1890, women basket rope makers, Hermenegildo Otero and Miguel Aguirre, mis-captioned possibly Cordoba Spain 

Edited by geogphotos

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes well spotted it certainly does look like Cordoba - I have been to that square.

I think I would need to contact the museum in Almeria to ask them why they are claiming it to to there. 

I didn't spot it myself, it's someone or people from Cordoba on Pinterest. Which is where the image from the Museum in Almeria comes from as well. Or they posted it to Pinterest, I have not investigated where it originated from. Just googled your Alamy image and then looked the most factual one up from the results, which was the one from Cordoba which gave a name for the place. Yes I have been there too. Even have some images. Not on Alamy: I think I have over 2000 images from Cordoba.

wim