Is this Margate?

geogphotos

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Since it came from a contemporary photographer's collection, it's quite possible the caption has been wrong since 1890.

The collection I have is owned by a woman in her late 70s. Her husband's grand-father was a photographer and most of the magic lantern slides are of the family and taken by him. I started with these ones which were obviously souvenir ones as they caught my eye. I will get on and do the family portrait ones soon. I have no idea how this one of Spain ended up in his collection or indeed the ones of Cornwall though the family did have connections with Devon.

The point is that these must have been mass-produced.  The caption on mine saying 'Barcelona' was most likely written by the English collector who was perhaps just choosing a Spanish location at random. Who knows. 

I think that it is Cordoba but you would have thought that a museum ( in Almeria) would be a trustworthy source.

In any case it is a great photo by important photographers.

Edited by geogphotos

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The collection I have is owned by a woman in her late 70s. Her husband's grand-father was a photographer and most of the magic lantern slides are of the family and taken by him. I started with these ones which were obviously souvenir ones as they caught my eye. I will get on and do the family portrait ones soon. I have no idea how this one of Spain ended up in his collection or indeed the ones of Cornwall though the family did have connections with Devon.

The point is that these must have been mass-produced.  The caption on mine saying 'Barcelona' was most likely written by the English collector who was perhaps just choosing a Spanish location at random. Who knows. 

I think that it is Cordoba but you would have thought that a museum ( in Almeria) would be a trustworthy source.

In any case it is a great photo by important photographers.

I meant that the original may have had the wrong caption for a century or more- and that it may even have been wrong when acquired by the museum, and then not checked when scanned. I'd be surprised if a museum had the time to check thousands of images.

• 3 weeks later...

I00008mZ41y9O_2Y.jpg

Cobb& Co Fines Ale.

Anybody recognise the Swan Inn presumably in Kent?

300px-Cobbscaskpale.jpg

Cobb & Co. (Brewers) Ltd, Margate Brewery, 27 King Street, Margate, Kent

Founded 1673. Private company registered July 1947. Acquired by Whitbread & Co. Ltd. January 1968 with 40 public houses. 

Brewery closed October 1968 and was demolished July 1971.

Edited by geogphotos