Royal Pics - Jason Bell

Paulstw

I wonder how much it would cost to license these pics. 

Royal Baby and group shots

It even says on the description that there is a higher price for these pics. 

If I was asked to do it, I've have crumbled into a pile of my own fluid. Thoughts? 

I think he's done a great job, and his other work is quite outstanding. 

Paul

If you've ever photographed a wedding or even a family portrait it's no bother. Just the bride and groom and the groom's parents. It's not even morning dress so just your best dark suit.

In any case, if you didn't know the score the Queen would help you. She's been arranging heads of state for 61 years so she's quite good at telling her own family what to do.

I wouldn't have wanted the stray shafts of light on the carpet myself (sniff).

I wonder how they came to choose the person for the job. How do you even get that sort of work? 

I see your point lol I guess she would have just sorted out the layout. I know what you mean about the stray light. 

I'm sure it will be a pool job and the pics would be free for editorial use in the first couple of days. The costs will come in if magazines, newspapers and others want to produce glossy specials, mugs, memorabilia, etc.

You get it by moving in the right circles and leveraging your way up, I suppose. I don't.

We have a very different phrase for that sort of thing over here :P

dd

I would have expected that to have been a lot more. 

It is a tough one. The Royal Family would expect the photographs to be available to media around the world. Price it too high and then no-one will use them.

The Daily Mail alone ran probably 15+ pictures yesterday so there will be plenty of usage.

I like the streaks of light on the carpet - adds depth, life - especially in the large group shots for Royal Baby Christening.

Totally agree. It lifts it beyond a boring stock-standard archival shot. Gives it the feel of an early morning sun-room to me. Hints at things beyond what could otherwise be simply a studio (okay, a particularly well-appointed studio). I like the effect very very much . . . 

dd

A great shot.

The light streaks give the image a 3 dimensionality, and the most important members of the group have more light on them. This downplays others, as it throws the others slightly in the shade. I wonder if the photographer charged for "extra heads". That is when one or more smiling heads are cloned out of rejected photographs in order to make one final single photograph with everyone smiling.

In order to get the assignment, the Palace would have to trust you to not publish the single bad image where the Queen was inadvertently showing too much leg.

Photographer Anthony Armstrong Jones married the Queen's sister, and got the royal photography business for years.

He was a great photographer, and he was trusted.

Archived