This could be the Next Big Thing -- tourism marketing in reverse. The BC tourism people have actually made a video asking visitors to stay away:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/tourism-officials-tell-would-be-visitors-to-b-c-to-stay-away-for-now-1.4882088

Not sure how this will affect stock photography... ?

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

I have read about some mountain-top villages in Spain that are preventing any outsiders coming in.  How that ever ends I don't know.

I'd guess that the same attitude against tourists and tourism will manifest itself around the world even after the peak of the pandemic is over especially in some of the more remote parts of the world. I've also read about foreign tourists being made to feel unwelcome in some Asian countries perhaps tapping into a sentiment that was there not far below the surface already. 

Let's face it mass tourism has been destructive on so many levels yet we all individually feel an interest in experiencing different places. 

My guess is that this is going to lead to a realignment of the way global tourism operates. Quite how I wouldn't like to guess at the moment but, as others have suggested in other threads, perhaps this could be for the 'good'  in the long term.

Tourism in reverse might just be the thing.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I have read about some mountain-top villages in Spain that are preventing any outsiders coming in.  How that ever ends I don't know.

I'd guess that the same attitude against tourists and tourism will manifest itself around the world even after the peak of the pandemic is over especially in some of the more remote parts of the world. I've also read about foreign tourists being made to feel unwelcome in some Asian countries perhaps tapping into a sentiment that was there not far below the surface already. 

Let's face it mass tourism has been destructive on so many levels yet we all individually feel an interest in experiencing different places. 

My guess is that this is going to lead to a realignment of the way global tourism operates. Quite how I wouldn't like to guess at the moment but, as others have suggested in other threads, perhaps this could be for the 'good'  in the long term.

Tourism in reverse might just be the thing.

Very good points. Air pollution has gone down considerably around the globe due to less travel. Mass tourism definitely has not been good for the planet. Hopefully something positive will come out of this tragedy. It might lead to a reset of our thinking and behaviour. If the virus doesn't do us in, our current economic system will eventually.

Edited by John Mitchell

We have a local guy who runs a spoof news web and Facebook page and has built up a great reputation with the quality of the items, some of which has caught out the national press. It incorrectly gets branded as fake news, which I hate. He has taken the helm of the Essex Coronavirus Action campaign which has been of great use in the community. His offering:

Image may contain: possible text that says 'THIS BARRY. BARRY LIVES ON SOUTHEND SEAFRONT. BARRY SINCE BORIS TOLD EVERYONE AT HOME PROTECT SAVE LIVES, HARDLY ANYONE HAS VISITING BEEN DIVEBOMB SANDWICH TO DOUGHNUT. IF WEATHER WEEKEND IS PERFECT EXCUSE A FAMILY SEASIDE, BARRY BARRY WILL COME FOR YOU. BARRY WILL RUIN YOU. WELL. UNCLE KEITH CLIVE STILL IS UP FRINTON'S ALWAYS MATE CLACTON WELL WE'RE EVEN GOING THERE. HE'S RAMPAGE, ASBO OR ASBO. IF EVEN CONSIDERING ESSEX SEASIDE BEANO THIS WEEKEND, REMEMBER THAT SEAGULLS YOU, POLICE HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE YOUR TRIP EXPENSIVE ONE. DON'T VISIT ESSEX THIS WEEKEND. WE MEAN IT. CORONAVIRUS'

23 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Brilliant marketing, in a way.  It’s a tough reality but smart to wrap their arms around it and be looked at as a responsible destination. 

Yes, there's some marketing genius at work there.

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

We have a local guy who runs a spoof news web and Facebook page and has built up a great reputation with the quality of the items, some of which has caught out the national press. It incorrectly gets branded as fake news, which I hate. He has taken the helm of the Essex Coronavirus Action campaign which has been of great use in the community. His offering:

Image may contain: possible text that says 'THIS BARRY. BARRY LIVES ON SOUTHEND SEAFRONT. BARRY SINCE BORIS TOLD EVERYONE AT HOME PROTECT SAVE LIVES, HARDLY ANYONE HAS VISITING BEEN DIVEBOMB SANDWICH TO DOUGHNUT. IF WEATHER WEEKEND IS PERFECT EXCUSE A FAMILY SEASIDE, BARRY BARRY WILL COME FOR YOU. BARRY WILL RUIN YOU. WELL. UNCLE KEITH CLIVE STILL IS UP FRINTON'S ALWAYS MATE CLACTON WELL WE'RE EVEN GOING THERE. HE'S RAMPAGE, ASBO OR ASBO. IF EVEN CONSIDERING ESSEX SEASIDE BEANO THIS WEEKEND, REMEMBER THAT SEAGULLS YOU, POLICE HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE YOUR TRIP EXPENSIVE ONE. DON'T VISIT ESSEX THIS WEEKEND. WE MEAN IT. CORONAVIRUS'

OK, I'll change my weekend plans pronto. 😎

We were supposed to be off to Tenerife next week but obviously that’s not happening. So we’ve decided to have a virtual holiday! (but not getting up at 3am to drive to Luton airport!) A week of sunshine (maybe) lots of bbq’s, tapas and wine,  all without leaving home! 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Now I'm extra glad that the "Pandemic" thread was deleted. 😔

I'd call that video extreme anti-tourism marketing.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!! 

Best Python quote ever actually got used on a spoof Uk blue passport and a newspaper used the image without realising it was not the real thing!

• Love 2

My guess is that "stay away" tourism policies will be in effect until there is a Coronavirus vaccine available and as many people as possible have been immunized, which could be a couple of years down the road by the sounds of things. All this will of course really impact international travel and travel photographers. However, when restrictions start to ease up, people will probably be doing more "local" travel, so there could be increased demand for those types of photos. Globetrotting may never return to what it was before. This would probably be a good thing for environmental reasons (as Ian pointed out above). There is already too much unnecessary business and leisure travel (e.g. mass tourism) IMO. I love to travel, but I don't see myself doing much of it in the future. Fortunately, I don't really have much of an international "bucket list" at this point.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

We were supposed to be off to Tenerife next week but obviously that’s not happening. So we’ve decided to have a virtual holiday! (but not getting up at 3am to drive to Luton airport!) A week of sunshine (maybe) lots of bbq’s, tapas and wine,  all without leaving home! 

good idea, maybe i'll start walking my Camino in my back yard....  😉.  and no old snorers at night. extra bonus