Finally a good news!

Oh Dear!........ and our beloved highest content agency does not merit a mention - 40+ million - but no cigar !

Birthday on Thursday - 72yrs - sorry lads and lasses but I'm afraid that like quite a few things my generation took more than its share of the good things - but the greedy bastards in the middle-men sector, the enthusiastic (and often very talented) hobbyist and simplistic digital technology are all tolling the bells !

I hope my depression does not last, and I think I saw a single-malt size bottle in my pile of birthday presents - if things carry on it will probably turn out to be orange squash.......

Happy Birthday, David!

considering the context the other agencies were mentioned in, it wasn't exactly good news to be included: sites with low commission % paid to contributors & stats of massive copyright violations

(violations, which, of course, are pretty much inevitable, unless something big & fundamental changes)....

Oh Dear!........ and our beloved highest content agency does not merit a mention - 40+ million - but no cigar !

Birthday on Thursday - 72yrs - sorry lads and lasses but I'm afraid that like quite a few things my generation took more than its share of the good things - but the greedy bastards in the middle-men sector, the enthusiastic (and often very talented) hobbyist and simplistic digital technology are all tolling the bells !

I hope my depression does not last, and I think I saw a single-malt size bottle in my pile of birthday presents - if things carry on it will probably turn out to be orange squash.......

Actually if I have over 1,000 infringements on one photo,I know Corbis and Getty have much more than that. I have discovered thousands and we go after all of them.

Do people not get it that copyright infringement  is stealing?

L

Unfortunately the law sees theft of intellectual property assets as a civil offence. The problem will get worse unless and until our beloved politicians see that it harms the knowledge/ creative economy and put it on a par with theft of tangible goods. But I am not holding my breath.

Happens in all lines of work David. My PC repair business went pear shaped the second people could search Google for the answer. Then Microsoft made it super simple to install Windows. Repair your boot sector? Yeah, do that from the CD in two secs. IT guy? who spent £2000 on Microsoft training and has a fancy MCSA card to prove it? Nah you don't need him anymore. 

Unfortunately the law sees theft of intellectual property assets as a civil offence. The problem will get worse unless and until our beloved politicians see that it harms the knowledge/ creative economy and put it on a par with theft of tangible goods. But I am not holding my breath.

In fact wilful infringement of copyright is a criminal offence in the UK. It has to be pretty flagrant, but it is available. As to public perception of how serious it is I quite agree.

Happens in all lines of work David. My PC repair business went pear shaped the second people could search Google for the answer. Then Microsoft made it super simple to install Windows. Repair your boot sector? Yeah, do that from the CD in two secs. IT guy? who spent £2000 on Microsoft training and has a fancy MCSA card to prove it? Nah you don't need him anymore. 

Surprised to read this Paul, have been working in IT myself for 16 odd years and know a lot of people doing very well doing mobile PC repairs. Though a lot of them have transitioned to supporting small businesses and essentially being the IT brains for a lot of different small businesses.

Surprised to read this Paul, have been working in IT myself for 16 odd years and know a lot of people doing very well doing mobile PC repairs. Though a lot of them have transitioned to supporting small businesses and essentially being the IT brains for a lot of different small businesses.

That's why I got into education. I saw the dramatic uptake of IT technicians posting support for pennies on gumtree, setting up websites for support and employing SEO experts to get on top of results. I also noticed that a lot of the work was sub contracted out. Unbelievable amount of people in Glasgow claim to be IT folk. I meet with other IT people bi-annually at the microsoft building in Edinburgh with the independent schools forum and we all mention the same thing a lot. There's just so much of a rise in Glasgow just now with people popping up all over the place. 

Small to medium business is where it's at. It's ok sorting a home computer, and I don't mean disrespect to anyone making a living off it, but small/medium business domains and networking issues with Active Directory are needing good support. Supporting home users is becoming tougher with everyone thinking they can do it. 

Photography is very similar in that respect. 

That's why I got into education. I saw the dramatic uptake of IT technicians posting support for pennies on gumtree, setting up websites for support and employing SEO experts to get on top of results. I also noticed that a lot of the work was sub contracted out. Unbelievable amount of people in Glasgow claim to be IT folk. I meet with other IT people bi-annually at the microsoft building in Edinburgh with the independent schools forum and we all mention the same thing a lot. There's just so much of a rise in Glasgow just now with people popping up all over the place. 

Small to medium business is where it's at. It's ok sorting a home computer, and I don't mean disrespect to anyone making a living off it, but small/medium business domains and networking issues with Active Directory are needing good support. Supporting home users is becoming tougher with everyone thinking they can do it. 

Photography is very similar in that respect. 

Yes Paul we've noticed that with lots of IT folk on here - and welcome they are too !  But it all reinforces my original comment - and I'm sure that Alamy and their clients have noticed that dilution by numbers does not always increase quality - and certainly not sales !

Increasing quantity decreases individual sales, nothing surer.  Quality is a little more open and depends on how it's measured.  My understanding that QC here is technical quality only and, on that basis (excluding the eye behind the camera), better hardware and software inevitably results in "better" pictures.  Personally, I feel the eye is more important than the camera but I'm not running a stock agency.

better hardware and software inevitably results in "better" pictures.

Really? IMO, never in the history of photography have so many awful pictures been taken by so many people. More sophisticated cameras can create well-exposed pix... but can't 'see' a pic, can't compose it, can't add that 'wow!' factor...

better hardware and software inevitably results in "better" pictures.

Really? IMO, never in the history of photography have so many awful pictures been taken by so many people. More sophisticated cameras can create well-exposed pix... but can't 'see' a pic, can't compose it, can't add that 'wow!' factor...

My understanding that QC here is technical quality only and, on that basis (excluding the eye behind the camera), better hardware and software inevitably results in "better" pictures.  Personally, I feel the eye is more important than the camera but I'm not running a stock agency.

As Simon Clyne, the famous picture editor of the Daily Mirror, when that paper carried the best images in the world, told me more than forty years ago "Remember this laddie it is the photographer who makes the picture - not the camera - that should just do as it's told".

Actually if I have over 1,000 infringements on one photo,I know Corbis and Getty have much more than that. I have discovered thousands and we go after all of them.

Do people not get it that copyright infringement  is stealing?

L

How do you get on with pursuihng infringements in e.g. China and other Far Eastern countries, where many infringements occur (copying articles in UK newspapers in which photos feature)?

Archived