Freely available historic images from the Public Domain.

I hear about the growing number of free public domain images all of the time.

The Smithsonian is not the only museum doing this. What is the sale value of a stock image curated from the public domain?

https://petapixel.com/2020/02/25/the-smithsonian-just-released-2-8-million-images-into-the-public-domain/

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

some MS agency's rules do. (though review process being what it is, it will likely go through based on some of the reports i see in Forum at one of these)

There is no shortage of public domain images here.

However, Bill's question is a good one.

Edited by John Mitchell

15 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

but is it against Alamy guidelines?   it's one of the optional info to provide with the image, so I assume Alamy is fine with it, 

One of the warranties in the contract if you don't own the rights to an image is that it's free of copyright.

Yes, most large agencies do provide public domain images.  You have to look at it as more of a service of making photos easy to find and use.  Any buyer willing to take the time to find the PD photos, can find them for free but those who want to get everything easily can get them at places like Alamy or G&#ty etc....   Everett Collection (a contributor to Alamy) has made quite business by collecting and selling PD images.

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, most large agencies do provide public domain images.  You have to look at it as more of a service of making photos easy to find and use.  Any buyer willing to take the time to find the PD photos, can find them for free but those who want to get everything easily can get them at places like Alamy or G&#ty etc....   Everett Collection (a contributor to Alamy) has made quite business by collecting and selling PD images.

Yes, one-stop-shopping seems to be what it's all about. However, I imagine that individual PD images don't exactly fetch high prices.