Camera turning to the dark side..

Hi, Has anyone had similar to problem  outlined below ?

On the glum side I think my old 5D II camera is on its way out,  plus experiencing other problems, shutter jamming, shutter release sometimes not functioning at all. Is it worth taking it in for repair? It is years out of warranty period. I have already tried unmounting then remounting lenses, it appears to be intermittent however I wonder whether its a matter of time and an indication of a downward slide to the scrapyard?Any suggestions?

😩

Haven't had those problems myself, but if the battery is in good condition and can be ruled out, it might be worth reinstalling the firmware if it is still available as a download (I haven't looked). It may not help, but you shouldn't lose anything by trying.

• Love 1

Thanks everyone.. I ll check the link. I have tried with different lenses, and have latest available firmware. I have tried wiping over battery contacts.

It appears to be intermittent but rather concerned it might be going down the tubes..

Edited by R De Marigny
omitted item

I would take it or send it into Fixation in Vauxhall and see what they say. They are authorised Canon repairers, very trustworthy and reliable. They should give you a no-commitment quote if they can figure out what is wrong. It does sound like it needs a lot of work though so may not be worth it. 

If the shutter is jamming, is it possible that it just needs a good clean? The 5D2 is known for oil spots on the sensor so could some possibly have leaked into the shutter mechanism? When I had my 5D2 cleaned a few years ago it was like a new camera afterwards (though I didn't have the problems you describe).

Alan

It seems to be performing this morning, managed to take some photographs.. but I may take it somewhere in next few days to have the camera looked at to be on the safe side. I have a backup I can use for now if it is heading down the tubes.

Thanks again everyone. 👍

I had the same problem with my Nikon D700, just after the warranty ended. It happened while I was shooting kids jumping horses, suddenly the shutter would jam or the continuous shooting would stop working (and this was before I had a backup camera, but I still managed some really nice shots). Back in late 2009 or 2010. Anyway, Nikon fixed it for me at no charge ( it was a few weeks out of warranty). And they even rushed the repairs for me. Stellar service. I went on to take at least another 60K or so shots with it over nearly a decade (and got a backup camera). I sold the camera last year when I got a Sony mirrorless, and it was still in great condition. Never had a problem with the shutter again. So, I'd say if all else is good it is probably much cheaper to replace the shutter than to plunk down thousands on a new camera. I only sold it because my back, neck and shoulders couldn't handle the weight anymore. Call Canon and see what it will cost. It was a quick fix on my Nikon, they just replaced the shutter. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Isn't the 5D2 only a few hundred pounds used?

Not a clue but why buy someone's old and maybe not so well maintained camera when you can get the one you have cared for fixed? I was assuming the OP was weighing the benefit of fixing what he has vs. buying new. My point was that replacing a shutter isn't a big deal. But getting a newer model used from a reputable seller is another option. 

• Love 1