Drone images?

Orange Elephant

Question

22 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Orange Elephant said:

I thought there may be a list somewhere of approved cameras.

Alamy don't do lists of approved cameras anymore, but on the ground the Sony RX100 series with 1" sensors gets through if used carefully.

Edited by Harry Harrison

28 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Maybe see Jon D's comments in this thread, I think he's using one:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/12262-from-300-images-online-to-6800-in-2-weeks/?tab=comments#comment-226455

Thanks for the link, lets just hope he got an OSC for hovering over "thousands of people".

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnie5 said:

Thank you. A nicely laid-put page, but inconsistent information. For instance, suggesting they need a M43 while also implying that a Mavic 2 Pro is acceptable. I will upload a couple images & see what happens.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:41, Orange Elephant said:

Hi

Are drone still images acceptable for uploading to Alamy?

Mavic 2 Pro: 1" sensor

I've had no trouble getting images accepted here from a M2P. The aerial perspective is addicting, but I find little time to fly when the weather is favorable. You probably know that the M2P can fly in cold weather, so I do hope to stay active all Winter.

19 hours ago, Steve Valentia said:

I've never had a drone shot fail - and I've sold about 30 so far, including about 20 shots after snowfalls. My DJI Phantom 4 Advanced has the same camera as the Mavic Pro and MP2, I think.

Thanks. We have the same sensor size, but the Phantom has a mechanical shutter & slightly less pixels, making it a touch better in lower light.

40 minutes ago, Orange Elephant said:

Thanks. We have the same sensor size, but the Phantom has a mechanical shutter & slightly less pixels, making it a touch better in lower light.

The mechanical shutter only has an advantage over the electronic shutter, if you want to use higher ISO settings - and I don't. Certainly not on a drone camera with a 1" sensor. Image quality has to be very carefully controlled for QC to pass a drone shot.

I keep the ISO as low as possible (usually 100), and the shutter in the middle(ish), around f5.6. It's been argued that the DJI lenses have better image quality when set away from the extremities. I also avoid flying in low light, although I have done so, a few times (see below), but carefully. I also always shoot  in Raw.

lighthousesunset.jpg

1 hour ago, Orange Elephant said:

Thanks for the info, nice shot Steve! You realise that on a 1" sensor, f5.6 is right on the edge before diffraction?

With a maximum aperture of f2.8? I doubt it. Anyway, it's working for me - the 30-odd sales and 100% QC passess (and a 5* QC rating) would testify to that.

18 minutes ago, Orange Elephant said:

Not sure what you are doubting? I'm not casting aspersions on your imagery.

I'm doubting that " f5.6 is right on the edge before diffraction" with that lens. But, you may be right. However, unless you've seen it, then I wouldn't worry about it. Don't believe everything you read in the photo press. (I say that as Associate Editor of a fairly well-known UK camera magazine. ;) )

I bought a M2P in spring this year, no issues to pass QC. I use 100 Iso, aperture between 4 - 5.6, raw. I'm really impressed how much you get for the money - pretty sharp, good software, 100 m tripod included. Much fun to take pictures - no sales yet.