If the dollar goes pop, there will probably be a global crisis and the pound will also go pop.  I keep an eye on the 10 year pound/dollar chart and it's still in a trading range that it has been in for a few years now.  The financial crisis caused the pound to weaken against the dollar in 2008 and it hasn't recovered from that..  I have no idea what will happen next but I'm not panicking yet. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=10Y

I've been panicking for years and it hasn't done me any good at all: just got greyer and older (but I guess that that was going to happen, anyway)!

Stephen is of course right when he says that what happens to the dollar will also affect the pound, so the differential will probably remain similar: we'll all go down with the sinking ship!  If the US defaults, then surely all politicians are proving themselves just as stupid and self-interested as I have given them credit for in recent years.

EDIT: Just as finished writing this, I read on the BBC News Website that Senate reaches fiscal deal: Karma?  (I still wouldn't trust a politician as far as he could throw me...)

The Senate passed the deal earlier, and the House just did. I expect we will be rid of the nutcases who actually thought default wouldn't be a huge issue in a bit over a year from now. And if they try this again early next year, when the new agreement expires, it'll be a few more nails in their collective coffins.

I've been very pissed about this, mostly in the American sense, but occasionally in the British sense as well.

Archived