Holiday Pictures?

Ed Rooney

Question

9 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's hard to avoid shooting them this time of year. But do they sell? I don't think I've ever had a sale of an image of Christmas. ???

Edo

my first sale last year was a holiday picture:

Santa boarding Santa Claus' tram, as part of the Advent Market celebration in Zagreb, going through the streets of the capital during Christmas season Stock Photo

but maybe because it was just a bit different 

Edited by meanderingemu

I enjoy taking festive images.. I don't sell many.. but given as it's normally dark during my free time at this time of year or just generally grey, wet, 'yuck' weather so it gives me something to shoot and upload and keeps me out of trouble! 🙂 

Edited by Matt Ashmore

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

One of my regular (hardly best given the fees) sellers is a Christmas-related image. But I only have about 40 of decorations and so on. It's the only seller out of those but it's fairly unique in content and it usually sells to the same publisher.

I think that's the key -- i.e. unique content -- with Xmas images. The competition for the usual snaps of decorations, happy kids, twinkling lights, etc. is overwhelming at this point.

Okay, that's very interesting. Thanks, people.

I did a slow, careful search and found 4 sales of Christmas related pics, all NYC. I have 93, with most in NYC. I also found 14 images of Tiffany's holiday windows that did not have the word "Christmas" in the tags. Grrrr. 

Edo

A good question.  I normally cover the  Christmas  "Lighting up Brentwood" with the Salvation Army, acts etc; but I do wonder why I bother -  its one of those things that you do in hope rather than expectation.  A couple of years ago I was approached by a council official who said her security people had been following me for an hour and wanted to know if I had been taking pictures of children....   That's another story.  I do have some of my London Christmas lights in Regent street zoomed quite a lot - but only a couple of sales.  Hope springs eternal.