Flower ID please

Janet

Question

20 answers to this question

Hope you don't mind me using this thread Janet but it would be better than starting another as it is the same subject.

Hope someone can help with naming the following flowers.

Daisy but what kind?

Yellow flowers - Stock Image

No idea.

Blue planter pot on brick gatepost with pink flowers Stock Photo

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

#1 is one of the annual Rudbeckia hirta varieties.  There's a lot of these so I can't say which one.

#2 Is a double flowered impatiens.  I can't tell from the image if the leaf midribs have a red tinge or not but if they have it's a New Guinea hybrid type, otherwise a normal busy lizzie hybrid.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

#1 is one of the annual Rudbeckia hirta varieties.  There's a lot of these so I can't say which one.

#2 Is a double flowered impatiens.  I can't tell from the image if the leaf midribs have a red tinge or not but if they have it's a New Guinea hybrid type, otherwise a normal busy lizzie hybrid.

Many thanks for the information John. You are a fountain of floral knowledge and much appreciated by all the forum members.😀

Allan

39 minutes ago, Janet said:

No Allan it's fine.

John, how did you become such a flower expert?

Janet

It's really a combination of academic training and strong interest accumulated over many years. 

I'm a research biologist/ecologist by original academic training and have been a keen gardener for more years than I care to think about.  In my spare time I used to write articles for UK and US gardening magazines, started a gardening blog in 1997 and needed images which forced me into developing my plant and garden photography to pro levels.  Since retirement as a commercial IT and systems trainer I've been able to volunteer at The Garden House near Plymouth, one of the top 100 gardens in the UK, where I do a lot of their photography and help with their marketing.  

Part of my own garden:

Overhead aerial view of a small exotic garden in Plymouth, Devon, UK, with bananas, palms, bamboos, cordylines and Stock Photo

Where I volunteer:

compressed-perspective-view-over-the-autumn-hues-of-the-long-walk-at-the-garden-house-buckland-monachorum-devon-uk-PTGW64.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, that's a lot of information to take in.

I am very jealous of your garden, but needs must, I am in a flat in London, but hubby has an allotment, so I'm not too bad on veggies but flowers another matter.

It's great to have you on the forum as you're a mine of information.

Thank you very much

Janet

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I've had pretty good luck with eyebrows as well. 🤓

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The only thing I've been able to grow is a beard.

That's odd, since my father and his two brothers grew up as florists in Brooklyn. Fitzsimons and Rooney was a famous florist store on Court Street in Brooklyn in the early 1900s. 

Post pictures and I'll see if I can identify the species and varieties.

2 hours ago, Janet said:

2A5RP5Y.jpg

Please can someone ID this one, I know it's a dahlia but which variety, I have looked on Google and can't find the one I want

Thanks

Janet 

Can't give you a positive ID but I can narrow it down a little. It's a ball type dahlia.  A quick look suggests 'Genova' but I can't be certain.