Natural history identification help please - Portugal

geogphotos

Question

I am sorry to trouble you and although I keep saying to myself not to photograph things beyond my area of knowledge I keep falling into the same trap. I have a few that have been hanging around for months on a 'to do' list ( taken in March). I apologise for my woeful lack of knowledge and would completely understand if you do not want to offer assistance.

First one looks like a very common bird in a palm tree on the Algarve. Maybe not worth bothering with? What do you think and crucially want is it!?

NUMBER 1

I0000.CDYyciPGFo.jpg

I0000mJ.I1aKfey0.jpg

Answer received : Male House sparrow (Passer domesticus) - Thank you.

Edited by geogphotos
Added pic

20 answers to this question

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I am sorry to trouble you and although I keep saying to myself not to photograph things beyond my area of knowledge I keep falling into the same trap. I have a few that have been hanging around for months on a 'to do' list ( taken in March). I apologise for my woeful lack of knowledge and would completely understand if you do not want to offer assistance.

First one looks like a very common bird in a palm tree on the Algarve. Maybe not worth bothering with? What do you think and crucially want is it!?

NUMBER 1

I0000.CDYyciPGFo.jpg

I0000mJ.I1aKfey0.jpg

Answer received House sparrow (Passer domesticus) - correct?

Yes, male house sparrow.

Mark

• Love 1

Number 6 is not cow parsley - but it is almost certainly from the same family, which isn't saying much there are hundreds of umbellifers.  I have enough problems trying to identify the ones in the UK without going abroad lol.  It might be worth you doing a google search of the area it was taken and "umbellifer" and see if anything comes up.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

Number 6 is not cow parsley - but it is almost certainly from the same family, which isn't saying much there are hundreds of umbellifers.  I have enough problems trying to identify the ones in the UK without going abroad lol.  It might be worth you doing a google search of the area it was taken and "umbellifer" and see if anything comes up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am going for Daucus halophilus - wild carrot at the moment.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Looks like cornflower, Centaurea hypoleuca to me, but I'm not an expert.

Mark

Thanks for the clue. It does look like a Centaurea but there are loads of them! 

Centaurea phrygia???

Spotted Knapweed Centaurea stoebe??

Edited by geogphotos

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

NUMBER 7 - last one

I00007Itg_n2JIM8.jpg

Thanks very much for having a look.

This is a form of lichen but they are very dificult to identify accurately. As a rough guess it's possibly ramalina fraxinea or one of that family.