How would you keyword this image?

NYCat

I could use some help on this. I took it for Live News at a march to protest the killing of elephants for their ivory. I think in that context the hat is recognizable as an elephant but I think I probably wouldn't have uploaded it for regular stock because it is not clear enough. I'm planning to leave something about the protest in the caption to give context because that is low down in the search priority. I'm not sure how else to keyword it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DFH3TE.jpg

Paulette

Thank you. I am definitely using those words for the other images I took at the protest. It just seems to me there is no content of that sort in this individual image. I'm not sure someone looking for a protest would find that this fits the bill. So now I'm thinking....Young, Woman, Girl, Funny, Elephant, Hat

Paulette

Thank you, Doc. I will use those for the other images. My thought is that this image in isolation doesn't represent the march as such. The rest of the images are obviously "about" a protest.  Such silliness, Phil. (Anyway, there is only ONE).

Paulette

• 2 weeks later...

Paulette

I have lots of images that are hard to keyword, because they do not communicate or describe anything very well.

This image fails because there is confusion on the viewers part, as to what it means.

This is why this particular image is hard to keyword.  Images that are hard to keyword do not sell as stock photos.

A different version of this image could have communicated "funny hat"; "angry women";  demonstration; ivory; "New York"; USA

However to communicate all of that, the hat should be more readable, the women should look angry, the women should be carrying signs and marching, there should be a real elephant tusk, there should be a New York landmark, there should be an american flag. Were these women looking at someone jumping around in an elephant costume? If they were, then that was the picture, and would be easy to keyword.

I delete about 95% of my images because they fail to communicate or describe in a strong enough fashion. Makes keywording the remainder very easy.

Bill

Thanks for the very wise advice, Bill and Philippe. Covering a news event is not my forte and I have much to learn. I don't like the image enough to work on it. Rather do stuff with my animals!!! If I do news again I will bear in mind the need to make every image "read" as the event.

Paulette

Archived